1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Battery Issues

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Sam_, May 23, 2011.

1. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Yesterday I attempted to change the thermostat on the car (and failed - need a 1/4" socket set), during which time I removed the negative terminal on the battery. After failing, I put the terminal back on, went to start the car so I could refill the water and got the classic "click" that the battery is dead. I didn't spill any water on the alternator so that should be fine?

I did have to back the car out of the driveway prior and the weather is a bit colder these days so could that have killed it?

I took the battery out, attempted to charge it and it didn't take much of a charge at all. It charged for about an hour or so and then said it was fully charged. It still didn't start. I got my friend over to try and jump it with leads on his X5 but his leads were like doorbell wire and didn't do a great deal (I think they're old), it did almost turn over on one try though.

Any ideas? I think it's just the battery itself, I have no idea of it's age so who knows. The terminals look OK but wondered if this is a common issue?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. colicabcadam

colicabcadam Guest

leave it to charge over night.......

failing that, no matter what device says it's fully charged doesn't really mean anything, only way to test a car battery is to draw loads of current from it only way to do that, is to try and start a car with it

had a similar problem with my ducati battery optimate says it;s fine, but it isn't, couldn't start a moped with it!

4. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Thanks, I'll try it again tonight, can't do any harm...