1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 APY Cambelt Hydraulic tensioner

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by kevinpeters71, Sep 30, 2012.

1. kevinpeters71

kevinpeters71 New Member

Mar 9, 2012
    First time post on here, so apologies if there is a FAQ on this that my male refridgerator blindness has hidden for me.

I have just changed the cam belt on my car. I should have remembered from my time as an Audi tech, that you do not strip the hydraulic tensioner if you forget to pop a 3mm pin in the damper prior to removal !! Anyway, i guess that i will probably have to purchase anew one (costly out here in Oz). Anyway, i reassembled the unit with engine oil, ran the car, all good for 10 km or so, then some rattling. On inspection i found that the tensioner was flapping around, albeit only a couple of mm. Sounded awful. So stripped it off again, made a few adjustments and same thing happened. What baffles me is that after leaving the car for 10 minutes or so, it goes away, then comes back at around 2000rpm. Being a stubborn type of chap, i am determined to work out why?

Has anyone ever stripped one of these tensioners? If so, do you have pics, (schematic would be awesome) of order of things, in case i was having a senior late night moment ! Any idea of quantity of oil to add to the unit ? Or indeed what type of oil??

Your thoughts would be appreciated

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User Audi A4 quattro

Apr 26, 2004
    No schematic exists that i am aware of, they are a sealed non serviceable part