S3 AMK Engin Gone - Advise?

harps21k

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Had a bad summer, my car broke down load metal metal noise. Just was on the way back from getting a fault diagnosed, "Cam shaft sensor misalignment error", but died before getting it fixed. AA confirmed no compression when they recovered me.

Had mates dad have a look at it and found spark plug was smashed. Cam belt was still good, but crank end was not rotating when try to turn it over, so he thinks it my be the sprocket worn causing internal failure.

Cut long story short, I need a new engine and was not sure where to get a good engine from. Is a refurb good and where is the best place to get this from or is 2nd hand from eBay good?

Also does anyone have a good fitter which has worked on Audi near west London?

what is the price for fitting? And how much should the replacement engine cost.

Also would BAM engineer fit without any problems in place of AMK?

Thanks
Harps

Last edited:
You can pick up an engine for around 150-200 quid... most engines will be 100k plus miles though so something to consider... thats not to say there aren't any good ones out there but most 100k plus engines will vary in wear so you may or may not get a good one...

Labour wise it should be just over a days work done properly and obviously cost will depend on hourly rate of whoever does it plus any parts needed like gaskets, oil etc...

Have you got a budget?

<tuffty/>

Finding a decent engine will be the trick... most of these engines are going to be 100k miles and at least 11 years old...

There are a few groups on facebook where people are breaking cars... you don't need to use an S3 AMK engine... you can use an engine from any 210/225 K04 turbo'd VAG car so a TT and an LCR would also be a good doner...

Some people use AGU engines which is fine but these are older than S3 engines so mileage thing is still relevant

Early engines will require some parts to be swapped over from your current engine such as VVT tensioner etc...

If you want an easy swap then source an AMK or BAM from a 2001 on S3, TT (BAM only) or LCR

<tuffty/>

I have replaced my engine this year due to a rod failure. I searched high and low for mine, ebay, gumtree and breakers. As tufty said you don't have to have an 's3' engine out of an s3. I managed to source a AMK engine which was removed from a leon cupra r, with reasonable mileage 75k and good history which had come out of a standard car. The breaker offered me 4 month warranty and postage insurance as it came on a pallet and he also confirmed everything to me in writing which is a great bit of paperwork which matches up with the receipt. Whilst the engine is in front of you its worth doing the cambelt and checking the dmf and clutch setup. This wasn't too much of an issue for me as the engine was taken apart and overhauled anyway but as its out you might aswell check these things and save some money in the long term.
I paid £450 for my engine and in fairness when we took it apart it was in good condition and had been looked after. That came with a good DMF and clutch setup and the majority of pipework which he had left on. I was happy paying this as the engine was in good condition. I now also have lots of spares which is not a bad thing!