S3 Alcantara

The SS seats reminds me of cobra heads. My choice too.

Reactions: GRE57Y
I like the look of the Alcantara but I still think the the full leather looks better, more premium I suppose. The clean, uncluttered look of the A/S3 interior suits the full leather rather than 2-tone of Alcantara IMO.

With regards to looking "more premium", this is the whole issue with full leather - it's an affectation. People think it looks better because it's more expensive and "well it's leather innit?". In reality the only advantage it has is ease of cleaning, in all other ways alcantara is superior.

I appreciate what you're saying about the "clean, uncluttered" look but personally I feel the opposite and that full leather seats look bland and featureless. Leather/alcantara adds a touch of contrast to them and makes them look that much better.

Each to their own though :)

Reactions: Psyman79
With regards to looking "more premium", this is the whole issue with full leather - it's an affectation. People think it looks better because it's more expensive and "well it's leather innit?". In reality the only advantage it has is ease of cleaning, in all other ways alcantara is superior.
Haha. Nope, I think it looks better because to my eyes it looks better, it's definitely no illusion. I prefer the look & feel of leather seats so I suppose it's good there's an option, different people - different preferences.
As for more expensive, it's the same price as Alcantara on the S3 I believe .

Reactions: Blackwhite
For completeness, here's a pic of the "Full" Nappa Leather Option.

As you can see, the centre back and bolsters are leather, the shoulder sections (and sides) are velvet.

qifgnjS.jpg

Reactions: Dazzeroo, Bristle Hound and Rob2k68
One thing Audi have got right with their interiors is the quality of the leather.

BMW leather as an example to compare with is questionable it even came from a cow. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Personally I love the alacantara - just something a bit different :)

For completeness, here's a pic of the "Full" Nappa Leather Option.

As you can see, the centre back and bolsters are leather, the shoulder sections (and sides) are velvet.

qifgnjS.jpg

Good pic that, clearly shows the difference between the 2 materials, especially with the light on the centre section. The difference isn't quite as noticeable normally though as the colours are very similar even though the textures aren't.

I took that photo yesterday, in the Java Green car @The Challinor cancelled :p

Good thing he didn't pick it up, I would have pointed out the defect in the leather join everytime I saw it :lmfao:

Reactions: Sandra and Blackwhite
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm velvet :jump:

Will go with my new suit then ... :tumble: :undwech: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Blackwhite and veeeight
One thing Audi have got right with their interiors is the quality of the leather.

This is one reason why I was happy to go with the SSS. I was really impressed with the leather in my mates Q3RS as it's soft and supple (no velvet thankfully). If not I would've gone with the alcantara as I've had it in my previous TTs and been really pleased with it. Besides I frankly don't like the "velvet" parts of the regular seats.

Reactions: Pulp84 and rikia93
To be fair, it looks quite pronounced in that photo, in reality it blends in better, as Martin said.

However, once you know it's there .....

It's not that I don't like the Alcantra, but I have always loved Black leather in my cars. I also like the Black headliner.

The velvet section is hardly noticeable on the Lunar silver seats......although it is still velvet.

I wonder what the velvet is for? Less sweaty when its hot, or just a cost saving, or something else?

it definitely 100% does not feel like it at all.

I've always said you've got no feel in your fingers :p

Glad mine passed the inspection lol

Have you got that mis-aligned rubber seal on the b-pillar fixed yet :p

I wonder what the velvet is for? Less sweaty when its hot, or just a cost saving, or something else?

2(3) reasons:

1. Interior Styling dept
2. It's so that they could offer the Parade Red and Burnt Orange option, without causing too much extra complexity. No need to tool up for leather if all seats are fabric in that area.
(3.) Cost saving ;)

Last edited:
I've always said you've got no feel in your fingers :p

Have you got that mis-aligned rubber seal on the b-pillar fixed yet :p

2 reasons:

1. Interior Styling dept
2. It's so that they could offer the Parade Red and Burnt Orange option, without causing too much extra complexity. No need to tool up for leather if all seats are fabric in that area.

Now I know your kidding about my seal

It's horrid, my eye is drawn to it everytime I see it! :p

Don't make me take a photo and put it up on here ;)