S3 8V clutch or s-tronic

Leevr

Reaction score
Just getting a feel for how many people run manual or S-tronic? If you run a manual how many miles on standard clutch and any issues using it to the cars full potential on the road, not track use.

I have had two Audi’s with DSG boxes a TT and now an S3. I have never had a issue with either of them and I don’t think I would go back to a manual, but each to their own and other people have different experiences.

Tune the manual in anyway and you will need a clutch.

Stock, it's fine.

Is it purely a cost issue on Audi's part to fit a clutch that is just fit for it's intended purpose? I had a few turbo cars with increased HP and never had to tiptoe around clutch issues. I know people will say manufacturers intended its clutches for a given torque and HP, but surely it should have a modecome of inbuilt redundancy to cope with additional power.

I'll take stock of that - -
Ran my S1 With 280ps - Tuned - 28,000 -no problems as a daily driver,
Respect The Power I Say.

Reactions: Leevr
Just getting a feel for how many people run manual or S-tronic? If you run a manual how many miles on standard clutch and any issues using it to the cars full potential on the road, not track use.
I had a manual S3 for just over 2.5 years, 17,500 mile no problems at all.

Reactions: S1Pete and Leevr
Only ever owned manuals until my S3 and would never go back to a manual now.

75%+ of the Audi's we sold while I was in sales were also stronics.

Way forward (imo)

Standard S3's have been known to slip BUT I honestly think it's how hard you drive it. Lots of sprinted driving and the clutch will eventually start to go down hill.

I only changed the turbo Inlet elbow, intake and was suffering slight slipping. At 8.5k and stage 2 it needed a clutch.

My A3 is in the dealers at the moment getting a new DSG gearbox fitted. It failed after only 11ooo miles. Just the luck of the draw I suppose!
Having said that I would choose DSG every time. Its the 21st century so its auto everything for me - gearbox, wipers, lights etc. etc. But each to his own.

Reactions: amb66 and MikeParkin
Standard S3's have been known to slip BUT I honestly think it's how hard you drive it. Lots of sprinted driving and the clutch will eventually start to go down hill.

I only changed the turbo Inlet elbow, intake and was suffering slight slipping. At 8.5k and stage 2 it needed a clutch.

The elbow gives a great increase in torque.
You're not the only person to say their clutch has slipped after fitting one.

Have dsg s3 brilliant everyday but when having a good go in the back roads I miss my old manual S3 which also had an uprated clutch in due it it going after a stage 1 map but did have 55k previous to the nap

2014 manual S3, used to its potential and 24k miles without any issues.
I have not tuned it due to it still being under warranty and known issues with the clutch post tuning.
DSG is a superb piece of technology but still prefer manual (in the same way I still decide when to put my lights on, when to use my wipers etc :))
Likely to be tuned once out of warranty but will include cost of uprated clutch.

I've seen 2017 manual S3s with as little as 11k getting new clutches

Does this manual clutch vulnerability apply across the board to less powerful A3s? I was thinking of getting my snoozy manual 103bhp 1.6tdi tuned to 150 - am I likely to experience issues with the clutch? (I'd like to get some use out of the additional power...)

Facelift manual here. after 10K miles it started slipping, albeit infrequently after 14K it was doing it all the time, got it replaced under warranty as it was warped, apparently. I had to and involve Audi UK though, as the dealership claimed the clutch is only warrantied for 6K miles (for some reason), and it way my driving style etc... car now has 22K miles on it and the clutch hasn't missed a beat.

I will not be getting a manual as my next car, i love the manual box, but i suspect that Audi are scrimping on the clutches to save money as they know most S3's will have Stronics.

Two of my engineers have manual Golf R's one is stock and the clutch went after 18K miles, the other is stage 2 and the clutch slipped immediately after getting it tuned (he replaced the clutch with a sachs organic one, and its been fine).

Another engineer has just started and he already owned a manual pre facelift S3, its a 2014 an has 80K miles on it, so far he's been through two clutches, all paid for by him.

in short there is an issue with the clutches on manual S3's in my opinion, i do give my car a hard time once its in motion, but i do not launch it or ride the clutch.