1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 8L Tyres

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ShaunS3, Jul 2, 2012.

1. vfr800

vfr800 Active Member

[Nov 6, 2012]
    Hi

Thanks, yeah I read your posts, and took that into account - I ride a bike so I'm used to taking my life in my hands :p

It's a shame I've paid over the odds for them, where would you get yours from if you don't mine me asking? (if you were to ever purchase them again)
    Ta.

My tyre guy - said they're a good choice for the money, he didn't have much to say about the Eagle F1 Asym. 2 tyres - but it's all relative.

etyres.co.uk would have been £416 inc. fitted at work.

Camskill were £75 / corner + £12 delivery =~ £312. I'd then have to pay ~ £40/50 to get em fitted and I'd have to bugger around waiting for them to arrive and get them to the tyre place etc.

So as far as I can work out, for £20 more than I could've got the tyres from Camskill I turn up tomorrow and they fit them and I drive away happy. (unless the tyres bulge disintegrate from under my bum)

Liam

EDIT: Woah! Got my maffs 'orribly wrong there - well missed the VAT when I was writing my post - nonetheless I'm happy to pay £20 to my local garage for the convenience. It's what they're there for after all.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Well-Known Member

[Nov 7, 2012]
    places like camskill have them for 75 each in 225 40 18. havin said that i get mine fitted for free so taking fitting into account may make them a better buy? my guy charges £10 per wheel. i got my 18s for 65 each if i got 4 in a promo. bear in mind that was 2 years ago. im not being *****y mate. please keep an eye out. both mine were inside edge of the tyre. its worth a regular check. they behaved well enough on the road once warm. but 2k just isnt enough for me.hope yours are different!! daz
  3. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

[Nov 7, 2012]
    Oh I love threads like this. Just can't resist replying!

I currently run Michelin Pilot Sport 2s on my S3 17" rims - fantastic tyres. I'm looking to replace these with a set of winter tyres because my drive to work is through country lanes covered in wet mud and ice in the winter. We have Conti Winter Contact TS830s on the family Grand Picasso, but they're bloody expensive. Any alternative suggestions?

I also have a set of 18" rims with Kumho Ecsta LE Sports on which I use in the summer. I only run these tyres because that's what was on the rims when I bought them. To be honest they're fine - I'm sure not the best but for general driving they're not bad. Certainly better than some of the super-value tyres out there.
  4. vfr800

vfr800 Active Member

[Nov 8, 2012]
    Got the FK452s fitted today.

I had Dunlop Sport Maxx TT (or something like that) on all 4 corners, they had worn *perfectly* - which I guess is testament to the new (poly) suspension bushes and 4 wheels alignment done by VagTech.

I've used the Dunlops for years on my A3 as I've always found them to be a predictable tyre if you get the tyre pressures correct.

So far the Falkens seem ok, only done 50 miles, they seem a bit squirmy but that could be the release agent not scrubbed off yet or more likely I'm not used to having tread after the Dunlops which were more like slicks when I'd finished with them.

I'll see how I get on.

Liam
  5. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Well-Known Member

[Nov 8, 2012]
    they improve with a bit of temperature. bloody weather wont be helping!!
  6. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

[Jan 19, 2013]
    Has anyone fitted 245s? Some nice 17x9s have come up locally and I'm thinking of 245/40/17.