S3 8l double din to single

TurboLover

Reaction score
Hello. I have audi s3 8l 2001 year. It came with RNS-d. Double din obviously. I want to convert double din to single din to use my pioneer head unit. What i need for the conversation? Central console? Climate control?

a few guides about, i maybe looking to do single to double

Last edited:
Google s3 8l rnse retro fit and you will find a guide. It does involve taking the lower part of the dash off on both passenger and driver side

I read that is possible to use a4 fascia with some trimming. Which year the a4 have to be and would you give me a pic of the fascia? I think it will be easier to use that instead of changing the whole console.

Masked up the RNS-E ready to start trimming the front panel..
IMAG0598.jpg

IMAG0600.jpg

One thing that vague guides don't mention is the approach to take with this... I went in assuming I just needed to trim the bottom as this is the suggestion but... what I should have done is fitted the top trim (where the cup holder etc is) first and adjusted the cage to allow the gap between the top of the RNS-E and the top trim to be as minimal as possible... I didn't think of this as it would have closed up the gap I was left with...
IMAG0604.jpg

There is enough meat on the bottom of the RNS-E to have done this and kept a tight gap... I also had a slight hiccup on the bottom too :/
IMAG0603.jpg

Not perfect sadly... RNS-E front panels come up for sale occasionally... I might see if I can track one down and have another go...

Next job was to remove the console to be able to swap out the cages...
IMAG0606.jpg

IMAG0607.jpg

IMAG0608.jpg

There is a screw each side here that needs undoing to release the console plus two behind the top trim panel...
IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0613.jpg

All out... phew!
IMAG0614.jpg

Double DIN vs single DIN cage...
IMAG0615.jpg

Cut the plug of the RCA adaptor as I was going to try and pin the OE plug but as I have Bose there is already wiring from the cars loom for line out going to the Bose amp so I cut the RNS-E adaptor and soldered the RCA lead on...
IMAG0620.jpg

IMAG0625.jpg

Put the console back in and fitted the headunit in... took a lot of juggling to get the unit pushed back enough to fit in... had to rearrange the looms to get it all in but finaly it clicked in...
IMAG0626.jpg

The unit was coded for an A4 so I need to recode it for an A6 and change the startup screen... I also need to do all the other required coding to get it working with the DIS... I didn't need to wire the canbus as my car already has this for the instruments...

Just need to work the correct coding out as I didn't have time and a phone line fault at Bill's unit meant no easy internet access so I will have a look tomorrow at work ;P

Navigation appears to work too... I stuck the GPS sensor just under the dash, it was magnetic so I placed it on the dash cross member

Other than the gaps which I think I can close up a bit I am happy with the outcome so far...

<tuffty/>

Have a look at this it shows the difference between single din/double din cage and because it's fixed at sides how to change them

If i want to use Autoleads DFP-05-07 Double Din Fascia Fascia Adapter Plate Panel For Audi a4 on my double din, all i have to do is trim the adapter a bit and it will fit, right?

You can make it fit the hole... getting it all to stay in maybe a different matter but its been done before so you may need to make some brackets up etc to support it all

<tuffty/>

Not 100% sure but I think do.i think if it's preface lift you do but don't if it face lift model. There's anew companies on here that can do it supply and fit

Thank you very much for the help. Now i have another question about wiring:
I have full bose system and rns-d installed. I want to get rid of the rns-d and put my single din pioneer HU. Which harness do i need?
PC9-404? PC9-410? 408? 401?
Also i read that i need some adapter for the rear speakers to work. Which is it?

Ask in the car entertainment or retro fit section probably got a better chance someone will know

If you contact a company called kufatec and tell them what stereo you have now and what stereo you plan to fit they should be able to supply you with correct wiring loom