1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 8L - Clutch & Flywheel Thread - 02M 6 Speed Gearbox - BAM 225 Engine

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ShaunS3, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ShaunS3

ShaunS3 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep

Hi guys,

I have had a quick search on this and the info appears to be scattered about everywhere and inconclusive for my situation.

I am about to take my S3 off the road for a mechanical overhaul. This will comprise of polybushing, intercoolers and exhaust enhancements, aswell as a major service. To aid ease of fitment, i am opting to take the engine out to carry out the said works as i will be fitting manifolds, DP's and presuming it will be easier to do the cambelt etc with the engine on a stand as aposed to struggling with tight gaps.

So, i am toying with the idea of replacing the clutch and flywheel whilst the engine is out, but have been a little put off with the price of OEM parts coming to almost £1000 for just those bits. My car is a 2002 S3 8L BAM engine with a 6 speed box, 02M? Here are a few questions for you all:

If making power increases to the engine + being (Stage 1 / Stage 2 mapped), am i best going for an uprated fast road clutch?

Is there a single mass flywheel conversion available for the 02M box (OEM or Aftermarket)?

What are the most recommended clutches/flywheels on the market?

Ideally, i need to make a decision within the next few days so your help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Shaun.
  2. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

I went for the Awesome GTI clutch and smfw kit. It's well priced and comes with everything you need. I was launching the **** out of my car at Inters last year down the drag strip and it was spot on. Check it out.
  3. ShaunS3

I did have a look earlier but couldn't seem to locate anything other than a Helix clutch?? :(
  4. Westy

I've just had a look and you're correct. I'm guessing this Helix kit has replaced it as it has all the same bits in the kit and the price is the same. Might be worth dropping them a call and asking.
  5. ShaunS3

It doesn't appear to include the flywheel, its a clutch only kit i'm seeing on there.

What brand is the kit that you got from them?
  6. Westy

Oh yeah! I've just searched the whole transmission section and it looks like they've sacked their old kit off. Might need to call them.
  7. ShaunS3

I've just ordered something from there today aswell ha. Nevermind, will call them in the morning and see what they say. Thanks for having a look anyway mate, appreciated.

How much was your SMF kit back in the day when you got it?
  8. Scullies

Scullies Active Member

This is my setup, was installed for the BT build as the stock clutch was poked.

Autotech light weight flywheel
    [​IMG]

Clutch net 6 paddle - stage 4. A bit of an over kill on the 1.8t that its running on now. :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Be warned, light weight flywheels are noisy, they can sound like engine knock at times, but I have noticed the engine revs up a lot quicker :arco:
  9. Westy

I'm sure it was around £640 like that Helix kit. And it came with a smfw that was weighted the same as the OE dmfw so it reved the same and isn't massively noisy.
  10. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Personally I think clutch choice is subjective on stage1/2... OE clutch is fine as long as you don't launch it but if you drive like you stole it most of the time then something like Westy's is a better bet...

I use an LuK DMF, LuK std cover and Sachs 4 puck paddle plate... its light as OE but grippy as hell... not snatchy in traffic but certainly more bity than OE

Most std clutches are shagged purely due to mileage... they are pretty capable of handling stage 1/2 power but its very subjective to how you drive... the std clutch can be pretty much wasted if you do a couple of launches...

<tuffty/>
  11. jezzy

jezzy Member

i have the a similar flywheel,F! from states cost 170 including shipping. weighs in at 3.9 kilos. they say it accepts any clutch plate material aswell
  12. ShaunS3

Very detailed and informative response, that's what we like to see :)

Looking at the paperwork, Tim had the gearbox repaired and fitted an OE clutch and flywheel back in 2010 so the mileage on that clutch shouldn't really be an issue but it does feel to have a slight slip sometimes and i'm considering changing it whilst the engine is out.

Where do you source your stuff from, TPS? I've seen a Sachs organic clutch on Euro Car Parts and heard they are highly regarded as a very good clutch but i don't think its a race clutch, more an OE replacement.
  13. <tuffty/>

I bought the LuK stuff from GSF and Bill got me the Sachs plate as he deals with them...

<tuffty/>
  14. ShaunS3

Presuming LUK are the supplier of the OEM stuff to VAG? I heard that such spurious suppliers like Euro/GSF/AtoZ do supply some genuine parts but there is a clue in their part numbers to confirm wether they are genuine OEM parts or not, although i can't seem to find the thread i found it on now for love nor money.
  15. Andrew@A.L.D

Andrew@A.L.D Cylinder Head Master

My set up

Same as Tuffty but with a Billet Steel flywheel that tips the scales at 3kg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. ShaunS3

Any of the reported rattles or chatters with SMF conversion?

I take it this is a direct upgrade if you can call it that and will fit with any clutch such as OE or aftermarket?
  17. Andrew@A.L.D

Rattles its nuts off at idle

Its a direct swap and there is a option of clutches you can use with the TTV flywheel
  18. ShaunS3

Any comments on Black Diamond Performance Clutches?
  19. Andrew@A.L.D

I used one when i was into Fords but that was with 180 bhp but never used one on a 300bh+p VAG

Not bad
  20. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

21. ShaunS3

The LUK standard cover, would that be the existing cover on your car that you swap over to the new clutch plate? I can't seem to find the cover plate on it's own?
  22. ShaunS3

23. <tuffty/>

I bought a complete clutch...

I should mention that Welly bought a lightweight alloy SMF and found it to be pretty rubbish to drive normally with... obvs when giving it some it was fine but driving in traffic and pulling out of junctions etc I believe it was a bit of a bugger to live with...

I like the idea of Westy's SMF, not lightweight enough that the gearbox sounds like its a bag of spanners on idle but Sachs don't seem to do a sprung 4 puck plate so would have to find a suitable alternative whenever the clutch needs changing again

<tuffty/>
  24. kwistof

kwistof South East Events Moderator Regional Rep

I had the Awesome SMF kit fitted earlier this year and she's a little rough on idle but you don't notice it once your on the move.

I really don't want to start scare mongering on this but I want to add that my gearbox lasted under 100 miles once the SMF conversion was fitted and it ended up blowing a hole in my gearbox. Luckily the Flywheel could be saved but I needed another new clutch from Awesome GTI just days after they had already delivered one!

Now I'm not saying that Awesome's kit had any issues to cause my gearbox blowing up....but just wanted to give my 2ps worth on a SMF being added onto a 10+ year car where the power has been increased and the gearbox has always been nursed by a dual mass flywheel.

Ohhh and if you are interested in still getting the SMF that Awesome used to sell- drop me a PM and I will let you know where they may still stock them.

Edit- forgot to add that this was all on my 2000 APY S3.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  25. dancuz

dancuz Member

I echo the above concern with smf and gearbox probs. A friend of mine had exactly the same problem on his s3 after 1500 miles. I went for a Sachs dmf with up rated Sachs carbon Kevlar clutch, all supplied by techniclutch on eBay. No probs so far
  26. ShaunS3

That sounds like a good option to go for. Hmm.
  27. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Yeah it would be. We don't get import tax unless it's over $1000 (so you split shipments haha). It's been a while since I was back in the UK (nearly 6 years) but when I was there it was hit and miss with it. I never got stung with tax but typically used USPS/Royal Mail. The proper couriers are hotter on it I believe.

Sounds like the DMF option might be good. Tuffty's seemed to rev alright in those vids too!
  28. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

What weight is the Awesome GTI flywheel? The 034 one is 4kg, whereas some are 3kg (like Andrews).
  29. ShaunS3

Done some more digging and it turns out that Black Diamond Stage 2 Kevlar kit uses genuine Sachs equipment but re-surfaced with Kevlar material by Black Diamond. Problem is then, getting hold of a genuine Sachs dual mass flywheel.

Now looking at - Black Diamond stage 2 clutch kit + LUK dual mass flywheel (sourced from euro car parts)

Are LUK the OE supplier for VAG?
  30. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

Yes they are
  31. ShaunS3

Cheers dude.

*Goes away to do price comparison on Sachs kit vs Black Diamond + LUK flywheel**

:)
  32. <tuffty/>

Yarp...

<tuffty/>
  33. Westy

I did weigh mine and 12kg rings a bell for some reason. It'll be in my build thread somewhere! Unfortunately I forgot to weigh the standard DMF to see if that weighed the same :banghead:
  34. dancuz

dancuz Member

ebay item: 280735835506

sales come up occasionally - I got mine for £399
  35. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

i did start looking for a SMF that was in between the light ones (3kg) and the heavy DMFS, but gave up in the end.
    they're all in *** america, the UK is ****ing useless for tuning these cars in terms of available parts and the prices of those parts.
  36. ShaunS3

Item on ebay £499.99 + £9.00 postage £508.99

Rung them up and got the kit at £400.00 all in, delivered to my door - RESULT :)
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  37. ShaunS3

Went for a Sachs Stage 2 performance carbon/kevlar clutch kit with dual mass flywheel in the end, supplied by Techni-Clutch (Lancs).

Thanks for all your help/knowledge and advice guys, it has been most helpful. This is what forums are about!

Shaun.
  38. kwistof

kwistof South East Events Moderator Regional Rep

Sounds like a good choice there....

Let us know how you get along with it as £400 is a great price for that kit.
  39. dancuz

dancuz Member

No probs and good result! Mines been in for 4 days and feels great.
  40. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

let me know how it goes, I should change my clutch but might get it fitted as I hav`nt the time to roll about uder the car for a day :(