S3 4WD Fault, Haldex or MAF?

GOLF-MK3-GTI

Reaction score
Ever since I've bought my S3, The ESP light has been on. But its a strange fault.

If i turn the engine off and start it again, The ESP will remain off, as soon as i hit over 10MPH it'll flick on and stay on throughout my journey. I've had VagCom on it and its bringing up the fault code 01324 - Control Module for All Wheel Drive (J492).

I have tried a another Haldex ECU and the problem still persists. I've been advised that it could be the Pre-Charge Pump, I have another one but not tried it as of yet.

I've also been told that it could be the MAF Sensor?

What are your thoughts guys?

Any input appreciated. I seriously want to conquer the problem.

The only issue i have had was the londitudinal / lat sensors that can play up ... have a search through google with these as they are a common fault as far as im aware .... do u ever get tge abs light on at the same time ?(p.s. im relativly new on this forum so dont rake my word for it but just thought ill share a issue i have had)

Cheers, so the sensor is located behind glovebox? Also is it just the case of, taking old one out, replacing it with a new one? or do i have to get vagcom back on it to reset it? Thats what I've read on TT Forum now?

Long/lat sensors are common.
You need to scan it really to have a better idea of whats going on.

If its only at a certain speed/load its likely long/lat sensor, wheel speed sensor, or as you say MAF.

Yes i bought a second hand one and put it in its deffo a DIY job but before u spend any money seek more advise on here as from the VAG com read out i did get a fault code .... or if your free the londitudinal and lat can be swapped as they are the same part just put in at another angle ... if you swap them and then the error light come one for abs and the esp its definatly the sensor

As already said you need to get it plugged into vcds ideally, you can run output tests on the haldex to run the pump and operate the controller, you can also check your long/lat sensors to see if they are reading correctly and if you do find you need to replace one of the sensors then you need to calibrate it with vcds afterwards to do a proper job so to speak :)

Image Image

I had the same fault code on my S3 when I first bought it 3 years ago. Posting on this forum I was told it was many things like control modules (Haldex unit) pre charge pumps, wheel sensors, yaw sensors etc. Turned out the wiring was corroded. The wiring connector that's connects into the haldex ecu the pins inside corrode and cannot complete the circuit.. Everytime I went over 15mph the light would permanently stay on. I took the connectors apart and cleaned the pins and used electrical cleaner and it's been perfect ever since. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I had the same symptom, light comes on after moving the car a few metres, turned out to the Haldex ECU. As soon as I fitted a new one the light didn't come on.

Right after months and months of trial and testing every part that's mated to the 4WD system. I have finally conquered the root of the problem. I was getting tje above error code and next to it said "no communication". It turned out that the Haldex needed recoding via the ABS function on VAGCOM. Such an easy fix but took ****** months.