S3 400 mile club

Daveotto

Staff member
Reaction score
Filled up this mornings and for first time got a 400miles to empty.

Not been trying to achieve this as I don't spare the gas but do a lot of motorway miles.

Anyway got better?

IMG 1485

Reactions: SILVAF0XX, Rob2k68, Audi Bairn and 3 others
Can be a pretty economical engine I think, not that anyone buys an S3 for economy! Think my last fill up gave a range of 385.

Reactions: pxuL and Daveotto
How much does its cost to fill the tank from empty? My ST is costing around £50-£55 and im only getting 265 miles.

My last tank was £63, I'd covered 333 miles from the previous fill up.

Only in a diesel, impressive range that! Best I've seen is 360miles. Normal is about 320. A3 2ltr TDI (150ps) got around 550 to a tank with exactly the same type of progressive driving style, obviously not quite as progressive as the S3 though.
For real world driving, I find not the car but the roads frustrating because I can't often stretch its legs.

Reactions: N.J.H and Daveotto
Sensible ish tank on V Power priced at 128.9 sees me paying around £63, I get then around 340-360 miles. My last tank was 280, I've been enjoying the car since it came back from Audi for a second time after 2 weeks haha.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Audi Bairn
I'm yet to break 300 miles from a tank but do a lot of B road miles.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Daveotto
Did a trip from Sydney to Harrington (3.5hrs north) and back and the S3 managed 684km (425 miles in old talk) to the tank driving in Economy mode which puts the gearbox in neutral when you take your foot off the wow pedal and coasts. Was a boring as batsh#t drive, but the weekend was double demerits (something I miss from UK life not having double points on a long weekend!) so figured I'd see what I could get from a full tank.
The better half reset the damn trip computer when we filled up before I could take the odometer photo, but the trip computer now reads a healthy 650km to empty and slowly decreasing to under 600 at each subsequent fill up as driving in dynamic/manual resumes and economy goes to 250/300km a tank!! :D
note was also the first time the avg 100km/litre dropped below 7!

Reactions: Rob2k68, Audi Bairn, Daveotto and 1 other person
Wow guys .. just about to hit 3000miles and the most I've registered is 310miles to a tank.. I always use shell optimax and usually costs just over £60..

This concludes I must have a 'nut loose behind the wheel' but I'm not sure a dealer can fix that! I guess I'll have to live with it

Reactions: GW1, Rob2k68 and Audi Bairn
I get about 230 per tank and the MMI says 280 - 300 when I fill up

Reactions: GW1 and OST
My gauge only goes as far as 520 km's (323.113 miles) each time I fill up....and if I'm careful it stays there for a while...but I'm never careful :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn
1.4T COD done 370 miles so far on current tank and OBC shows can go another 250 making 620 miles (approx. 1000 km)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: PanamaS3
1.4T COD done 370 miles so far on current tank and OBC shows can go another 250 making 620 miles (approx. 1000 km)

You are in the wrong club mate lol :)

Reactions: AudiNutta, Philip Davies, zippster and 1 other person

my god - from memory my 1.4 cod stronic dis says approx. 380-390 full to empty range and I am lucky if I get 350ish before refill light comes on - my journeys are 80-90% short urban type journeys though and although I do not drive like a granny, 80-90% of the time I am driving in "d" and drive select is in "auto" so I am usually not going mad - still surprised anyone can get anywhere near the figures you mention!

my god - from memory my 1.4 cod stronic dis says approx. 380-390 full to empty range and I am lucky if I get 350ish before refill light comes on - my journeys are 80-90% short urban type journeys though and although I do not drive like a granny, 80-90% of the time I am driving in "d" and drive select is in "auto" so I am usually not going mad - still surprised anyone can get anywhere near the figures you mention!

Mine is manual and drive is easy - 100 mile round-trip commute via a mix of A roads, dual carriageways and motorway with very little 'urban' stop-start. Don't drive like a granny (my 150PS is the lowest power car of the 4 I own) but find that once that engine is in 2-cylinder mode the mpg rises into the 50+ mpg (on the DIS) quite quickly. BTW I do find that on average the mpg displayed on the DIS is +8% better than the real mpg (as was also the case on my Golf GTI which was also +8% measured over 100,000 miles). In contrast, my 2 Mercedes with mpg displays give figures quite close to the real mpg (within 2-3%). This is another example of systemic lying by VW/Audi.

FaceliftS3 best Iv had was around 350 but I usually see about 280 as I do mostly town journeys. On a run Iv seen 43 mpg

Reactions: OST
I've seen 415 on mine on a fill up. On another note, how big is that reset (0.0) button on the Non-VC???

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Tom.H
Only in a diesel, impressive range that! Best I've seen is 360miles. Normal is about 320. A3 2ltr TDI (150ps) got around 550 to a tank with exactly the same type of progressive driving style, obviously not quite as progressive as the S3 though.
For real world driving, I find not the car but the roads frustrating because I can't often stretch its legs.

550 from a 2.0TDI 150PS??

AND @Phillip Davies, is 1.4 COD 150PS? 620 is crazy!

I only get 400 per tank on my 2.0TDI 150PS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AWP
Just back from a weekend up near Inverness and had 2 legs of the A9. For those that don't know the A9 is about 120 miles of average speed cameras, most of which is single carriageway. Anyway, long story in a number...

475!

Yes the DIS reckoned I would get 475 miles to my tank. Not bad considering there was also two 30 miles stretches of very fun road in there across the Dava.

Went on a 200+ mile motorway trip down south at the weekend. I decided I'd just take it easy, what with all the road works on the M6; are they live or aren't they(?) speed cameras on M42 etc. etc. Was really impressed with the car's economy on the motorway. Did the whole journey there and back in Economy mode, and managed to see 40mpg by the time we got home. Very impressed. So my mileage from this tank is showing about 370-ish, but approaching that red area on the fuel gauge. I just need to stretch it out a bit further! :)

Have to say though, it took A LOT of discipline to stay in Economy and gentle pace on the M40!

326e02272ffcaba62d222ecdf2406ffe.jpg

Soooo close...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta, Tom.H and Djs3saloon
IMAG1622
Maybe Philip Davies and I should start a new thread ' the 600+ club' . With a 136 mile a day commute, I often get middle 60's mpg from my 1.4 140ps COD, giving me a range of about 620 miles between fill ups.

Reactions: Philip Davies and Mark_86
We get 680km or (425 Mi) to empty on fill ups generally. In 2015 S3 will be interesting to see the difference once we get the MY17 with 7sp as we do lots of highway driving I'll guess we will do better and be 700-750km a tank.

1b429c860fa0134c10019e4d075e9093.jpg

Game over

What a car, what an accomplishment for a REVO Stage 1.5 car with many extra horse powers !!

Modified S3

Reactions: toooldforboyracing and Tom.H
IMG 0762

Oh and where is the S3 500 mile club thread

Reactions: AudiNutta, SILVAF0XX, Daveotto and 1 other person
I must be driving wrong I get around 260 miles to a tank

Reactions: Bells
I must be driving wrong I get around 260 miles to a tank
Same! The best I've had is about 280 miles, cars only done 1200 miles though so maybe it'll improve slightly still :whistle2:

Reactions: 4K
I'm not proud of it but I did notice it this morning when I filled up :disappointed:

IMG 20170809 074425