S3 (3dr) with Towbar. Audi Spoiler with hatch (2008 Model)

moley147

Reaction score
Before

S3Spoiler(Normal).jpg

New Audi Spoiler with Hatch

S3Spoiler(Hatch)Pic1.jpg

S3Spoiler(Hatch)Pic2.jpg

S3Spoiler(Hatch)Pic3.jpg

Westfalia Detachable Towbar

S3Spoiler(Hatch)Pic4.jpg

Spoiler with hatch from Audi
Spoiler painted to match
Towbar fitted today by PF Jones in Sunny Manchester

Last edited:
There is another thread on here where they say you cant tow with an S3,have you looked into this ?

I'm not towing anything. I wanted a cycle carrier that I could lock and I didn't want a roof rack.

The thing that puzzles me is that on Audi's own computer system, A LHD 3dr S3 is allowed a towbar and the spoiler with hatch as an option and the option is a westfalia towbar and also the westfalia portilo cycle carrier is an option too. So there must be LHD models of the 3dr S3 driving around Europe towing stuff or at least a carrying bikes because it is an official Audi option thats selectable on their own system but only on the LHD model 3dr S3. So I haven't a clue why it isn't an Audi option on the RHD model.

I saw this with my own eyes and even the Audi parts chap couldn't understand why it wasn't an option on the RHD model.

Are the tow weights specs/tests different in the UK to the rest of europe?

PF Jones guessed that maybe the towbar is slightly underspecced (strengthwise) for UK regulations but is within specs for continental europe.

It makes you wonder why its an Audi fitted option for LHD and not RHD.

Its also **** that you have to do all of this just so you can take a bike,this is something i am looking into but dont know if to get the roof rails and do it that way

Audi Computer System Printout of spoiler with hatch that is linked directly to my VIN number of my 3dr S3.

S3Spoiler(Hatch)Diagram.jpg

Audi Invoice

S3Spoiler(Hatch)Invoice.jpg

Its also **** that you have to do all of this just so you can take a bike,this is something i am looking into but dont know if to get the roof rails and do it that way

I just want it for a the cycle carrier. I'm not the shortest bloke on earth but I hate sticking an MTB onto a roof rack. And I'm not gonna use a bike carrier hanging off the back of the hatch and have it scuff my car up.

The portilo can carry 3 bikes and folds compactly to fit in my boot. It also tilts so that I can have access to my boot with the bikes attached.

It maybe be an expensive route to take but I'm happy with the results.

Audi Computer System Printout of spoiler with hatch that is linked directly to my VIN number of my 3dr S3.

S3Spoiler(Hatch)Diagram.jpg

Audi Invoice

S3Spoiler(Hatch)Invoice.jpg

But even though thats showing your chasis and the images on those faxes are nothing to go on,the bumper shown has mouldings and the lower spoiler which you have now got just looks like one for an s-line bumper as the same as the one i took off

If you want the Audi Spoiler with hatch then thats what you have to fit. They dont do the normal S3 spoiler with a hatch. Even the westfalia website states that you have to order the spoiler with hatch if you want to fit the towbar. If you want to try modifying the S3 spoiler to put a hatch in then thats way beyond my capabilities. If I had that sort of skill I would have fitted the towbar myself.

The spoiler with hatch still fits an RHD S3 and is the spoiler (with hatch) used on the LHD models of the S3 in europe if you wanted the Audi detachable towbar fitted by Audi. The Westfalia Towbar (detachable) is an Audi option but not in the UK. I asked the chap at Audi if I had an LHD S3 and I wanted Audi to fit the towbar then he said they would do it..........but they wouldn't touch the RHD S3.

When I went to source the spoiler with hatch. The Audi chap looked at the LHD S3 and the towbar options that were available for it. The spoiler with hatch came up along with the Westfalia detachable towbar. So I ordered the Spoiler and got PF Jones to fit the towbar.

Total cost was £1005.

The spoiler with hatch cost less than £90. I got 10% knocked off of the spoiler because one of the clips was slightly bent and showed a little bit of stressing so I got it for £80.20

£100 to paint it. Audi wanted £140 to paint it so I went to an Audi Approved painter myself and the bloke said he'd do it for £100. He said he'd normally charge £120.

On PF Jones website the cost of the Westfalia Portilo Cycle Carrier (£299), 3rd cycle adaptor (£133.20) and cover bag (£70.80) is £503

I paid PF Jones £825 so the cost of fitting and supplying the Westfalia Towbar and Audi Specific electrics cost £322 if I paid the website full price for the Cycle carrier etc, etc.

It may not be cheap but half of the cost was taken up by the 3 bike Cycle carrier and bag.

Approx £500 for detachable towbar, electrics, new spoiler with hatch (primed) painted and fully fitted isn't too expensive, especially since I wasn't going to attempt to fit it myself.

Tow Equipe in Leeds said they would fit it for £320 plus VAT (£380 inc VAT).

I thought it was a good deal from PF Jones.

Im in spain my car is lhd,and audi said its not possible to do a tow bar, and i talked to some companys and they are saying if it does not put on the log book its MMR, it will not pass its m,o,t,

Masa Máxima Remolcable ( Peso Máximo Remolcable ) maximum weight !