1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 2001 Poor Radio Reception

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by bpascua, Nov 14, 2008.

1. bpascua

bpascua Member

[Nov 14, 2008]
    Hello All,

I seem to get poor radio reception in my S3 with the standard chorus and bose malarky. For example driving down the M4 I'd expect to be able to get radio 2 and 1 - but often its too crackly and comes and go. Are there any common issues with these radios? should I be looking
    at my Ariel mast or is that a waste of time. I did notice the mast was unraveling a tiny bit, maybe I should get a new prong. but I'm sure I used to use a coat hanger years ago on my mini.

Thanks for any advice

Brian
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 14, 2008]
    There's an amp inside the base of the bee-sting aerial. Could be fried if water has got in. There are also a few areas inside the car where the coax can break down. Best option is to pull the head unit unplug the aerial and stick a screwdriver or coathanger into the aerial socket. You should get perfect FM and at least this will prove whether it's the aerial or the HU. You can also try an antenna amp or similar.
    You should be able to get perfect FM even with the beesting part of the aerial removed with just the threaded bit sticking up.
  4. bpascua

bpascua Member

[Nov 14, 2008]
    Hello,

Do you have any instructions on how to dismantle the beesting base?

thanks

Brian
  5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 14, 2008]
    Don't think you can, you just have to replace it