S3 - 1st Clean

David83S3

In my opinion .....
Reaction score
Weather permitting I will be doing the 1st big clean of the S3 this Saturday and I need some opinions on what products would be best. Now I ain't a complete amateur ....but I am new to the Nano stuff.

I already have the basic process ........(AG = Autoglym)
  1. Jet Wash
  2. AG Alloy Wheel Cleaner
  3. Jet Wash
  4. Snow Foam
  5. Jet Wash
  6. Wool mitt - 2 Buckets - AG Shampoo
  7. Jet Wash
  8. AG Drying Towel
  9. AG Glass cleaner
  10. AG Claybar
  11. AG Paint cleanser
  12. AG HD Wax
  13. Sonax Xtreme shine detailer

But .....I was wondering whether to add EXO V2 into the mix on this first clean ......would I be correct in thinking I would need to apply the EXO V2 after step 11........and then be OK to continue with steps 12 + 13 ....or would 12+13 be overkill?

Last edited:
Reactions: JonathanY70
Alarm set for 5am then yeah... :)

Would the exo v2 not go on after wax? Then miss out on the detailer?

Think I'll be doing the same, but only up to 9, going to wait until the weather's better before I give it its first "proper" clean.

Reactions: David83S3
Alarm set for 5am then yeah... :)

Would the exo v2 not go on after wax? Then miss out on the detailer?

This is my question .... Not sure on where to place it in the process..? ....and like you say maybe take out step 13....

Think I'll be doing the same, but only up to 9, going to wait until the weather's better before I give it its first "proper" clean.

I cant wait for the weather !! Need to get the protection on it now so that the nasty salty roads don't attach themselves to my cars bodywork....

I've always thought that Exo goes on before the wax? At least that's what i was planning to do when the garages are empty

EXO should go on before wax, as it bonds better to bare paint. Some like to add wax on top, but it's not strictly necessary.

EXO should go on before wax, as it bonds better to bare paint. Some like to add wax on top, but it's not strictly necessary.

This is what I thought ....but wasn't 100% ...Great!!

I will get that applied on Saturday morning and then probably add Wax on top too :kissmyrings:

I just go for a wee squirt of fairy in the mop bucket and a multipack sponge from Poundland.

Works a treat ;)

Reactions: mister.c., AndyB-S3 and David83S3
I just go for a wee squirt of fairy in the mop bucket and a multipack sponge from Poundland.

Works a treat ;)
Just red this and the thought of doing this has brought me out in a sweat. Going for a lie down! :scared2:

Reactions: Louay, Jassyo06, Psyman79 and 1 other person
This is my question .... Not sure on where to place it in the process..? ....and like you say maybe take out step 13....
@David83S3 - You are correct Dave, Exo V2 after stage 11 Best applied to 'bare' paintwork so to speak

Wax would be a waste of time and product after the Exo has been applied IMO. As a top up for the Exo I would give it a coat of Gtechniq C2V3 every month or so, as both Gtechniq products work best together

I would also give the Sonax BSD a miss too if your going to use C2V3

Like you I was an Autoglymn fan, but have I have found much better products out there TBH
For example -
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...hampoo-concentrate-1ltr-500ml-bottles.232242/
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But as we all know, Detailing is very subjective

@David83S3 - You are correct Dave, Exo V2 after stage 11 Best applied to 'bare' paintwork so to speak

Wax would be a waste of time and product after the Exo has been applied IMO. As a top up for the Exo I would give it a coat of Gtechniq C2V3 every month or so, as both Gtechniq products work best together

I would also give the Sonax BSD a miss too if your going to use C2V3

Like you I was an Autoglymn fan, but have I have found much better products out there TBH
For example -
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...hampoo-concentrate-1ltr-500ml-bottles.232242/
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But as we all know, Detailing is very subjective

Sound advice!! I have just ordered some C2 V3 which I will use to top up the EXO V2 each month .......excited to see the results! :icon thumright:

Sound advice!! I have just ordered some C2 V3 which I will use to top up the EXO V2 each month .......excited to see the results! :icon thumright:
C2V3 is great stuff Dave. I use it on all my door shuts and under the bonnet too :thumbs up:

This is the type of finish I was getting on my wife's 'old' solid red Ford Ka with two coats of Gtechniq C2V3 applied

Reading this sent shivers through my bones!!!! :dejection::dejection::dejection::dejection::dejection::dejection::dejection::dejection::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I know!! Honestly, a cars quite a big thing you'd surely need a big skoosh of Fairy liquid to get it all done :jester:

On a more serious note, should Snow Foam not be the first thing rather than Jet wash? I'd always thought you want the foam to lift the dirt before its blasted across the paint?!

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I know!! Honestly, a cars quite a big thing you'd surely need a big skoosh of Fairy liquid to get it all done :jester:

On a more serious note, should Snow Foam not be the first thing rather than Jet wash? I'd always thought you want the foam to lift the dirt before its blasted across the paint?!
Missed that

Quite correct. Snow foam on a dry car for best results. When you mix your snow foam up use hot water as well. Better results I've found

Reactions: elpaulio
any chance you can post up your progress on applying the exo? I've got some (along with c2v3) and i'm just waiting on a day to apply it

I can't believe you have had nearly a week David.

Will defo post plenty of cleaning day pics on Saturday ....weather is clouding but warm and dry so excellent weather for outdoor cleaning.

Aha ....Foam applied first ....will be sure to try this and see if it improves performance. I do use warm water :thumbs up: so got that part right :rockwoot:

Yes almost a week in and honestly its like time has now slowed down.......from the point of ordering to collection day I was literally wishing every second away ....but now I am enjoying every second of driving this stunning machine! ......I have started getting up earlier in the mornings and driving the Looooooooooong way to work HaHa :scared2:

:redrs4:.........:hubbahubba:............:sign wow:.........................:sign omg:...................................................:salute:

Reactions: Brasso
C2V3 is great stuff Dave. I use it on all my door shuts and under the bonnet too :thumbs up:

This is the type of finish I was getting on my wife's 'old' solid red Ford Ka with two coats of Gtechniq C2V3 applied

That is extremely shiney!!!! Likey Likey :thumbs up:

Reactions: Bristle Hound
They say you shouldn't wash a car more than once a week. My ritual for a basic wash is this......
1) Jet wash for about 10mins - use the local one as it is easier - costs about a pound.....get some strange looks when I drive off without using the brushes etc!
2) When back home, wet the car again.
3) 3 wash mitts using 2 bucket method......one for the upper part of the car (expensive one), a noddle for the lower part and sills, and another noddle for the wheels and exhausts.
4) Rinse off.
5) Super absorbent cloth, without applying too much pressure.

I know you can go to extremes, but this approach about every 1-2 weeks seems to keep it looking lovely.

Just kidding guys :)

Since spending so much on an S3 i can only afford smart price washing up liquid :)

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and elpaulio
In all seriousness, i'd love to have the ability to do it properly. All i can manage is a hose down, 2 bucket wash with a rinse and dry.
Karcher window vac for the glass brings it up a treat :)

Just kidding guys :)

Since spending so much on an S3 i can only afford smart price washing up liquid :)

I know what you mean!! I find the cheap knock off CIF stuff from the pound shop works well as its got the gritty stuff init which cleans the dirt off a treat! ;)

Reactions: Psyman79
Sorry if this question has been answered before in detailing threads but seeing as there's some knowledgable peeps here .....
What one coat application Polish/wax is good to use for the lazy amongst us ?

Thank you sir . I assume dark cloud for red paint ?

For a very very lazy wax you could use the ag Aqua wax if you're not an avid detailer!

Me personally use 3 buckets
Wash, rinse and wheels
And as said above mix snowfoam with hot water and if possible add abit of autofinesse citrus power in there!

Under bonnet stuff I use my steam cleaner

And interiors usually get a vac, wetvac and some autofinesse dressle
Coupled with an autofinesse air freshener

Thanks lee. That snow foam looks good. I assume you use that instead of the traditional turtle wax foamy bucket stuff ? Or is it some kind of pre wash

It's a pre wash

Rinse the car of large deposits first,
Use snowfoam I recommend valet pro or autobright snow foam use with hot water and citrus power, let it dwell then rinse off!

Then go on to the 2 bucket method or 3 if you like to use a separate bucket for wheels

Monitoring the weather for Saturday and its looking dry .....my only concern is my application of EXO V2 and direct sunlight? Its looking like bright sun and 15 degrees about 3pm. My car will not be under cover as I don't have any .......how important is it for the 3hr curing time of the EXO V2 to be kept out of direct sunlight?

I could try and get it applied early so its cured well before 3pm ....but there is a touch of rain due at 9am ....so my window of opportunity will be defined by this.

It's a pre wash
Rinse the car of large deposits first,
Use snowfoam I recommend valet pro or autobright snow foam use with hot water and citrus power, let it dwell then rinse off!
Then go on to the 2 bucket method or 3 if you like to use a separate bucket for wheels

Roger that Lee :icon thumright: . Just need the car now .

I'm looking forward to those shiny Misano pictures David . :hubbahubba:

Monitoring the weather for Saturday and its looking dry .....my only concern is my application of EXO V2 and direct sunlight? Its looking like bright sun and 15 degrees about 3pm. My car will not be under cover as I don't have any .......how important is it for the 3hr curing time of the EXO V2 to be kept out of direct sunlight?

I could try and get it applied early so its cured well before 3pm ....but there is a touch of rain due at 9am ....so my window of opportunity will be defined by this.
I think I would be asking your questions about EXO V2 on Detailing World or Gtechniq Uk direct buddy :thumbs up:

http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/exo-ultra-durable-hybrid-coating
Click on the 'Application Information' tab

Detailing World application info on EXO V2
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=307364

Reactions: Rob2k68
Funny you say that, i'm also going to wax it on saturday. It speaks of being mild and cloudy in the UK, which is perfect. AS LONG AS THERE IS NO DAMN RAIN. Every time I've washed my car since January it rains halfway through, even hailed once -_-

Mine isn't so much as yours, but here goes:

AG wheel cleaner
power wash off & noodle mitt with a bit of AG shampoo

Snow foam
Powerwash
2 bucket with grit guard and AG shampoo + lambswool mitt
Iron & Tar remover (I've got a whole road on my car after driving over freshly filled potholes -_-)
Wash off
Snow Foam as lube + Clay Mitt kept damp & clean with a bucket of water
Wash off & Dry with Microfibre towel (How is the AG one? I have a cheaper one at the minute which is great but would like the AG sometime, as I find these ones leave a lot of streaks)
Wax with AG hard wax

Then mess around with the dealer trying to get this ****** door cracking sound fixed :( - I'll tell them not to wash it, even if it gets dirty when they take it out, if they swirl my car they'll pay for the respray!

For a very very lazy wax you could use the ag Aqua wax if you're not an avid detailer!

Me personally use 3 buckets
Wash, rinse and wheels
And as said above mix snowfoam with hot water and if possible add abit of autofinesse citrus power in there!

Under bonnet stuff I use my steam cleaner

And interiors usually get a vac, wetvac and some autofinesse dressle
Coupled with an autofinesse air freshener

Hot water with snowfoam? Do you mean hot water in the lance container or hot water coming through the power wash? Just wondering why to do that, because if so i'll do it next time as I usually use cold water. I had an absolutely awful lance that I found in the garage, it just put the snowfoam on all watery - would instantly just run off the car, I thought it was the stuff I was using so changed to avalanche but made no difference, so i've spent out on a good lance. I guess the part of the old lance just having a small hole was the problem, it wasn't a jet whatsoever.