S tronic Vs Manual

Not really any different to changing gear with the right hand and steering with the left!!! Not sure I get your point?
I've driven right and left hand drive cars and yes it's a bit odd for the first few gear changes but then just begins to feel normal after that.

The first time a drive a LHD car was a 5 series BMW. I kept on trying to change gear with the windows winder - not that tells you how long ago that was.

Reactions: J6YAK and felsby
Not really any different to changing gear with the right hand and steering with the left!!! Not sure I get your point?
I've driven right and left hand drive cars and yes it's a bit odd for the first few gear changes but then just begins to feel normal after that.

Just kidding!

All this nonsense about having to use a clutch pedal and how difficult it is makes me laugh. Surely following that bizarre logic those suggesting that will be looking for automatic brake pedals and oooh having to press an accelerator really spoils my driving enjoyment ! ;-)

All this nonsense about having to use a clutch pedal and how difficult it is makes me laugh. Surely following that bizarre logic those suggesting that will be looking for automatic brake pedals and oooh having to press an accelerator really spoils my driving enjoyment ! ;-)

ACC!

Reactions: constvoid and veeeight
So all new cars will have no pedals at all... ACC not convinced (yet)

Google car? If they can sort the legislation out I reckon within 20 years you'll be able to buy a FULLY automatic car

Google car? If they can sort the legislation out I reckon within 20 years you'll be able to buy a FULLY automatic car

That will be a bundle of laughs, but then it's a case of be careful what you wish for I guess in respect of continued automation of processes...
The only saving grace with that is that the average squidgey idiot will have any autonomy removed and the roads should be safer.

I find it fascinating and depressing in equal measure. I like driving but in the future I wonder how much the insurance will be if you want to drive yourself somewhere vs the car doing it :(

And therein lies the problem, when you erode enough of the driver input, driving which I've always considered to be an emotive and intoxicating experience becomes an automated input-less process. At that point I'll be paying to store a car near the ring and heading off at weekends to reminisce.

Reactions: PilotAudi

My new 8V will have ACC and I'm quite sure I will use it on using motorway journeys and in traffic jams and through speed restricted roadworks etc but not when I driving through country roads for the shear enjoyment of driving. I will use one pedal to make me go and another one to make me stop and just my hands to manage the engine and steer. I would hate the idea of a fully automatic driving experience but I'm sure that will not come about in my life time.

It came to my mind that you Brits have to change gear with the left hand while steering with the right, well that is a tricky thing to excel in, I can understand if you guys go for a automatic gear box. Must also be hard to write letter for the majority if you have the nav-pack..

The gear thing is easy, that's how we learn to drive after all. ;)

I didn't realise my OP would cause such emotions!

Vs. threads provoke some of the most heated discussions you'll ever read on the web. It provides an interesting insight into people as much as the topic discussed.

I've cancelled electric windows on my order as I prefer wind up, as you have more control :whistle2:

Reactions: AdamInKent, Leebroath, constvoid and 6 others
Are Audi offering a "retro" starter handle as an option yet? I just hate having to turn a key in the morning when I could get some exercise throwing the engine over by hand :w00t:

Reactions: santifer, NICK-C, PilotAudi and 1 other person
Last edited:
Reactions: Blu-iTT
Was just having a read of this old thread, the s tronic v manual debate. I have always had a manual car but plan to go s tronic next. In manual mode, are you in complete control of the gears using the paddles or will the gearbox sometimes still automatically change, and if this is the case does the gearbox remap allow you to be in complete control?

Cheers

Pedro