S-Tronic Potential Issues

A

Andrew D

Hi all,

I had a quick search but can't find much about these couple of (potential) issues I'm having with my S-Tronic, I was wondering if others had experienced similar:

1. Clunky gear changes for the first few after a cold start. Only usually 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and only once, after that it's fine.

2. When I put my foot down (to the floor) to overtake it occasionally has a massive power loss between 2nd and 3rd (I think) while it seems to be thinking about what to do. It gets the job done eventually but it's a bit disconcerting when it happens. It'll change down as usual but then under hard acceleration it's just the first up change it seems to struggle with. Very intermittent too it's not every time, and it's usually in 'S' mode and always up to temperature. It's always done it though so not a new thing.

I've got a service coming up in 1200 miles so I can ask them then but just thought I'd check in case it's normal before they charge me for diagnostics I don't need.

It's still in warranty so I'm not too worried just yet.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're putting your foot right down you're probably hitting the kick down switch (basing that on my current car) in which case the car will change down a few gears - say from 7th to 3rd, as there's usually a gear either side pre selected (in 7th it would just be 6th ready to go) it will take a mo for it to work out what you're asking for.

That's my opinion on point number 2 anyhow.

If you're putting your foot right down you're probably hitting the kick down switch (basing that on my current car) in which case the car will change down a few gears - say from 7th to 3rd, as there's usually a gear either side pre selected (in 7th it would just be 6th ready to go) it will take a mo for it to work out what you're asking for.

That's my opinion on point number 2 anyhow.

Hi mate thanks for that, yeah the kickdown works perfectly, so as you say when you put pedal to metal it knows you want to go and changes down accordingly... it's the following up change (i.e. when you hit the redline in whatever gear it selected) where it throws a massive wobbly and pauses a beat before changing (we're probably talking split seconds but it feels long).

Because the acceleration had been so swift beforehand this pause makes it feel like I've stamped on the brake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom.H
If you're experiencing the issue highlighted in this video then this is normal -

Hmm I've now watched that over and over a few times and it is a slightly similar thing, although I thought mine seemed to do it closer to the top of the rev range. Mine is pre face lift though so maybe slightly different given its a different gearbox.

I'll try to recreate the issue tomorrow if I can find a clear bit of road and compare.

Thanks for your input!

Mine use to do the same with massive power loss in 2nd to 3rd changes at WOT but since having the Haldex pump replaced it hasn't. Could be a coincidence, but have you noticed your TC light coming on more than usual? If so then it would be worth getting it inspected...

I'll try to recreate the issue tomorrow if I can find a clear bit of road and compare.
Had symptoms a lot like yours with my 8P. I was asking for too much performance and the car went into protection mode. The engine cut the fuel supply. It took me a long time to unravel the S-tronic from the problem. It was a coincidence that the engine cut the fuel when the car shifted. Eventually I got the car to stumble before a shift.

To produce the problem I suggest that you find a hill to go up. You want the most performance you can get. So select Sport, dynamic, low petrol, and no passengers. To avoid the problem you would select Drive, comfort, full petrol, a passenger, and go down hill.

It turned out to be the coil pacs. I did a lot of testing and adjusting during the years that I had the problem. Let me know if you need any more info.