s-tronic or manual help!!

JD007F

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to the site and im currently looking at a3's i have found a few around the country whic ive emailed about but 2 of them have s tronic which in the pictures shows the flappy panel gear box. what do i do is this a cool thing to have or is it not as good as everyone says hope you guys can help it wil be on a sline 2.0 dti 170 59 plate if that helps.

Cheers

If you like gizmo's, it's for you. Remember, the more gizmos, the more to go wrong and when they do, it's expensive.
Also check out the 170 engine injector recall threads. May put you off but there again thousands have no problems at all.

We have a s-tronic 170 TDi and its very good. Smooth and well suited to the engine. Ours is a 2010 car and not had any issues at all.

If your looking at 59 plate cars then the injector recall doesn't effect those cars. Injector recall was on PD engines, post 09 cars have the common rail engines.

If you like gizmo's, it's for you. Remember, the more gizmos, the more to go wrong and when they do, it's expensive.
Also check out the 170 engine injector recall threads. May put you off but there again thousands have no problems at all.[/QUOTE

My old car 2.0 tdi SE 170. 56 Reg had the problem.

Pretty sure it olny applied to 06/56 Models

mine is DSG 2007, had the injector recall totaltly fine.

Automatic cars have a love or hate relationship, many people avoid automatic's due to the expensive repairs.

but i choose automatic because where i live is stop and go. (london) even though ive got the DPF havent had any problems with it yet and i dont do much motorway miles.

do rip it once in a while i hope that cleans it :rockwoot:

My current car is a 2.0TDI-170 with a DSG. It's my third 2.0TDI - two 170s and two 140s, all with the DSG and three with a DPF and I not had any problems of any kind with any of them. I do a lot of 'local' driving and some motorway. On Sunday I will be driving some 600 miles each way , nearly all on motorway/autobahn for two week holiday in Germany. Perhaps that's what keeps them running so well!!

Although they have all been DSG I don't drive in full automatic mode. I drive, choosing when to change gear, and using the paddles. Like a manual but without having to play with a silly clutch pedal.

I used to only driving manual cars but when I drove in automatic it was so much better and im not going back to manual any time soon, if u want a manual feel just stick it in semi-auto or use flappy paddles.

not many people will understand what its like driving an automatic until they buy one, some say automatic cars get boring to drive, but i dont miss that manual clutch.

I used to only driving manual cars but when I drove in automatic it was so much better and im not going back to manual any time soon, if u want a manual feel just stick it in semi-auto or use flappy paddles.

not many people will understand what its like driving an automatic until they buy one, some say automatic cars get boring to drive, but i dont miss that manual clutch.

One day all gearboxes will be the DSG (s-tronic) type......

The s-tronic gearbox is VERY good.

The manual is also very good but I think you best test both. its very much something you need to play with yourself to see if you like it.

ive had a 170tdi 58 plate manual - it was brilliant.

Ive had the S3 09 plate in manual - also very good.

ive got 61 plate S3 S-Tronic now - its good but I'm thinking I miss the manual again now....

You really can't beat the gear changes in the S-Tronic but the manual has so much more control.

The S-Tronic box is the stronger box however and copes with remaps better as it limits the torque.

test before you buy. 24 test drive would be ideal.

Love the S-Tronic box in my S3! Changes are lightening quick!

Like other I swap modes quite a lot! The only one that doesn't get used much is S believe it or not. I find it a little harsh as I like to change a little earlier than the redline!

Hooning around is done in M :)

It's a really good option having the s-tronic, like others have said here you can cruise about in auto or switch it to manual and use the flappy paddles.

Really smooth and well suited to diesel engines I've found... Also really good in traffic and around town! ;)

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all your replies sorry only just replying i have been ill and not been able to get on here. sounds like there is a mixed fillings on the s-tronic, ho many miles do you guys normally keep your cars and how many do you do a year roughly. i'm just thinking about the gear boxes going wrong as i'm guessing i the s-tronic went wrong it would cost me my arms and legs haha. i am currently looking at a couple of a3's both that have thes-tronic but i need to get up there to see them and like you all say try it. as ive never drivien a automatic expecially a s-tronic lol i do alot of driving around towns and bypasses i know afew of you have said that the changes are very quick but do you use the flappy panels ll the time or only when you playing etc.

mny thanks James

you can use paddle at any time either you on D or S mode (temporary manual mode) or you can change into manual mode where gears wont upshift until you hit the stick or the paddles. D is very good in traffic and for relaxed driving. S for any crazy race of the lights & launch control. Lots of options and best fun ever. Cant fault it on mine and would not go back to manual now.

One thing you need to understand about the DSG/s-tronic. It's not like a normal automatic. It's basically the same inside as a manual gearbox with normal gears and syncros but with two electronically controlled clutches which in the case of the A3 are oil-filled units. These clutches are controlled by a 'mechatronic' unit which converts the electrical signals from the sensors and gear change switches into movement in the gearbox to actually change the gears. The DSG/s-tronic has proved to be very reliable.

Personally I have had a s-tronic on my last four A3s and each one I have had from new and done between 30-40k in three years in each. All have been 2.0TDIs and the s-tronic suits this engine very well as a diesel engine generally needs more gear changes than a petrol engine. I tend to use mine in the 'tiptronic' mode using the lever and the paddles all the time except when I'm in a traffic jam. I do all sorts of driving including some town driving and quite a bit of motorway and A-road driving. At present I am on holiday in Germany and have been using my A3 to do 120-130mph for quite long stretches on the unlimited sections of autobahn.

The only maintenance on the s-tronic is an oil-change every 40,000 miles. Audi say that the oil-filled clutches should last the life of the car so in some ways it should work out cheaper than a manual set-up. With the 4 A3s I've has with s-tonic I have not had a single problem with the gearbox.

Although I'm on my eighth A3 my new new car will not be another A3 as I'm not keen on the interior of the latest A3 but it will be either a VW Golf or a Skoda Octavia as I would not want a car without the DSG/s-tronic.