Q5 S-Tronic Kicking when hot

AF83

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've tried searching but not entirely sure what the keywords would be so apologies if this has been raised before. I've had my Q5 for nearly 2 years, 2010 s-line s-tronic and it's generally pretty good. Except for one point....

I've got an issue though which seems to pop up on medium to long journeys when the car is hot. When I'm in stop start traffic, coming to a stop, the car lurches as it changes down to first, it feels like someone's driving into the back of it sometimes.

My workaround in traffic is to use manual to hold it in first or if I need second, I force it back down to first before stopping and it's not so bad. I THINK it's changing to first too late, when it's hot.

Also seems to coincide with the engine trying to pull when I'm in gear with my foot on the brake. I usually pop in to neutral to quieten it down, that said, it revs the same either way (about 800). I had the gearbox oil changed last year and the problem remains.

Anyone else had this? Any ideas for what could be causing it?

How frequently do you get this? I know you say when it's hot? I think I used to have something similar very odd occasions when my S5 used to be shifting 2nd to 1st but nothing was ever diagnosed and it was very very adhoc- maybe worth taking to dealer / indi just to make sure it's nothing more untoward that's could cost a fair whack if a problem developing

Thanks Kuku, I'd say it's any journey over about 90mins. I usually only use it 45mins at a time on my commute and it's all fine, that's mostly motorway/dual so it heats up plenty. it's on the longer drives (motorway or otherwise) that this happens. I noticed today that after using the paddles to change down it seemed to resolve the issue for a period of time and even in auto it was holding itself in 2nd until I'd stopped, then "silently" going into 1st. Wondering if it's actually changing to 1st too early rather than too late. Might take it to the garage, just an expensive business isn't it! Suppose I could get it warmed up to a point that it's doing it and then just pop in and see if they're feeling helpful.

Worth checking the MyAudiQ5 forum just to see if there's anything on there at all?

SOLVED!
Of all the unlikely things, I changed the air filter and it's been fine since. I assume the lack of airflow caused by a dirty filter was causing it to rev higher when hot and the higher revs were causing the kicking issue. Only had it serviced last year but was interim so didn't have filters, lesson learned and full service (minus air filter) in the next few weeks :)

I do hope that your fault genuinely is resolved, but to be honest the fault you described screams of issues with the clutch pack within the gearbox or mechatronic unit.

Fingers crossed it doesn't come back as neither of those are cheap fixes.