S-Tronic/DSG Whine

15audis3

Reaction score
Does anyone else find their S-Tronic/DSG gearbox whines in most gears between 1500-2000rpm?

I had DSG (Exact same model - DQ250) in my old MK6 GTI and it would whine a little in 1st but wasn't really noticeable. I'm finding its quite pronounced on the S3 and in seems to happen in 1st-4th.

Probably won't bother mentioning it to the dealer as its minor and the car drives fine, I've not tried launch control yet and always let it warm up properly etc. Try to stay above 3000 revs all the time when hooning anyway :D

Nope, I can honestly say the S-Tronic on my S3 has been as quiet as a mouse since new just over 1 year and 9,000 miles covered. A little ""sudden" when first engaged when first started (oil not warmed through) but that's about it.

If yours is noticeably whining I'd get it checked out.

No such noises here that I can say I've noticed. Prob worth getting it checked out as Hawkeye suggested there may be a service bulletin out for it and a quick fix. Maybe it'll go with a few more miles on ?

My 1st gear whines when in Manual mode and I hold it over 2500rpm, everything else is quiet. No 2 gearboxes are the same though even with manual boxes.

My 1st gear whines when in Manual mode and I hold it over 2500rpm, everything else is quiet. No 2 gearboxes are the same though even with manual boxes.

I get exactly this too - only in first when in manual

apart from that I get no noise at all in any gear or mode. 2700 mile in

I have noticed this to. It only seems to be readily apparant between 1900-3000 in 4th gear. Any manor of driving doesn't stop it occurring, it's there if I'm plodding along and accelerate a little and its there when I hit it hard!

Never really been so loud it annoys me. Mentioned to dealer first time car was in for a health check and they said nothing to worry about. 15k in now and still there, still the same noise, doesn't really bother me.

Could be worse, DSG boxes can be a right pain.
I had a clunk going into 6th on the DSG box in my TT and Audi tried for months to fix it. I got a new mechatronics then a new gearbox then another new gearbox, they eventually said the gearbox was fine (it wasn't).
You know what fixed it? A new set of front tyres! Totally cured the clunk the box made going into 6th.
To be fair to Audi though they chucked a load of expensive parts and man hours at it, funny it was just a pair of tyres needed. The rears were 8mm and the fronts were 6mm but it was enough to cause an issue.
On the plus side, I must of test driven most of the Audi range during that few months with the car on the ramps so much.

Mine (and @Flibble 's ;) ) whines between 40-60 mph (sounds like faint alternator whine)
Since my tyre swap I'm noticing this a bit more (since the new tyres are noticeably quieter), definitely still doing it while accelerating in 4th.

Reactions: veeeight
My s3 sportback S-tronic has now done 3800 and seems to have developed a gearbox whine. It doesn't do it on my commute to work (in D pottering along) but I've noticed it does if I drive it a bit more aggressively. By that I mean putting my foot down more often, accelerating harder than I would when driving to work. It used to be most apparent in 4th, but now it seems to be in every fear but only when I've been driving it a bit harder than normal. I've even had passengers comment on it when I've been in full manual mode (gear lever over to the left).

Anybody else had the same symptoms? I work at an Audi centre so I can get one of the techies to look at it, but I don't want to waste their time - their bonus is paid on efficiency!

I'd get it checked over especially if passengers can notice it.

After 5k miles with the radio off and listening for it I have the very slightest whine at 20mph in D4 at 1,500-2,000 rpm when my foots off the gas. Probably always been there.

After 12k miles, mine is still predominantly in 4th between 40 - 60, very little whine or none in other gears while accelerating.

After 12k miles, mine is still predominantly in 4th between 40 - 60, very little whine or none in other gears while accelerating.
Mine is pretty much exactly the same as this. Only in 4th gear now and I'm just shy of 18k on the clock.

Had DSG boxes for 8 years. Have experienced same issues in my current Skoda VRS with DSG (7000k to current 16000 k). As it drops from 40 mph in 4th to stop auto or manual, whine constant, In colder weather more noticeable. Has been checked out by several dealers. Local one heard it, did a back to back with similar car, no fault found. Another dealer couldn`t here it, yet back to back test VRS (20k) had no noise. I believe there is an issue, but there can be a top to bottom tolerance spec.

Will continue to monitor.

My S3 developed a quite loud whine in 6th gear at constant speed between 120 and 140 km/h. Most predominant around 130 km/h.
It started at about 8000 km and it is getting worse. Now I am 18k.

Took it to the dealer, they listenend to it but they do not know what to do. I pointed them to the differentials and the gearbox but they refused to accept my suggestion. They are fu**ing stubborn that it is not a transmission-related issue.

I called Audi Italy and I requested the visit of a regional master technician. And they will send him in September.

Great car but very disappointed by this.

Mine whines in 1st gear if in manual mode and above 2000rpm... i think it sounds cool.
No whines at any other speeds.

Old thread revival - think mine is now a little more noticeable.

New DSG oil & filter didn't appear to make any difference.

My DSG sounds like a grape when you tread on it....lets out a little w(h)ine :)
First gear most noticeably....I always thought it was quite cool as it reminds me of an old girlfriends mum's coach built MG Metro that was a proper little race car....new DSG filter, oil and housing going on next week....hopefully that fixes it, but by the sounds of yours @Rob2k68 maybe not....

Reactions: Rob2k68
My DSG sounds like a grape when you tread on it....lets out a little w(h)ine :)
First gear most noticeably....I always thought it was quite cool as it reminds me of an old girlfriends mum's coach built MG Metro that was a proper little race car....new DSG filter, oil and housing going on next week....hopefully that fixes it, but by the sounds of yours @Rob2k68 maybe not....

Haha wondered where you were heading with that :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Mines D3 & D4 when off the gas and slowing down to 20mph, not too bad but looking at this thread it must be worse now after having chalked up some miles compared to when I posted earlier. Might be worth asking if there are different grades/makes of oil that can help with this too late for me LoL.

Reactions: PanamaS3
My S3 began to make a whining noise - like a 2 tone whistle - faintly at first but as the miles went on that car it became more pronounced. i thought it was body work, wing mirrors, door gaps etc - just couldn't work it out.

Nothing below 20 mph, but above you'd begin to notice it more and more. At 70 mph on the motorway it was clearly there (to me).

Turned out to be the transfer box and the noise was easily replicated on a ramp and the tech heard it with a stethoscope.

My S3 began to make a whining noise - like a 2 tone whistle - faintly at first but as the miles went on that car it became more pronounced. i thought it was body work, wing mirrors, door gaps etc - just couldn't work it out.

Nothing below 20 mph, but above you'd begin to notice it more and more. At 70 mph on the motorway it was clearly there (to me).

Turned out to be the transfer box and the noise was easily replicated on a ramp and the tech heard it with a stethoscope.

Glad you got to the bottom of it guessing they replaced the transfer box ?

Mine had a replacement 6 months or so ago.

I've always got my music on so its really only noticeable to me in first gear....but now its got me thinking I should be taking the car to Audi BEFORE I change the DSG filter and fluids....what do you reckon @Rob2k68 ? Transfer box sounds a bit dodgy to be going on our wonderful new cars...?!!

I've always got my music on so its really only noticeable to me in first gear....but now its got me thinking I should be taking the car to Audi BEFORE I change the DSG filter and fluids....what do you reckon @Rob2k68 ? Transfer box sounds a bit dodgy to be going on our wonderful new cars...?!!

Yeah sounds like a good plan mate especially as you’re new filter housing is a visible mod it’s just under the battery tray.

Had a Haldex nightmare, replaced the pump first but then discovered a mechanical issue in the transfer box then changed the Haldex ECU for good measure for one running the latest software version.

Yeah sounds like a good plan mate especially as you’re new filter housing is a visible mod it’s just under the battery tray.

Had a Haldex nightmare, replaced the pump first but then discovered a mechanical issue in the transfer box then changed the Haldex ECU for good measure for one running the latest software version.
Sounds like a bit of 'mare mate....had no idea you went through that.....fingers crossed on Monday when mine goes in to look at the tranny whine

Sounds like a bit of 'mare mate....had no idea you went through that.....fingers crossed on Monday when mine goes in to look at the tranny whine

Was a bit of a mare mate LoL but all good
In the end. Wow you got that in quick usually a minimum of 2 weeks to get into a dealer for me. Let us know how you get on.

Was a bit of a mare mate LoL but all good
In the end. Wow you got that in quick usually a minimum of 2 weeks to get into a dealer for me. Let us know how you get on.
yeah thankfully I have made myself such a valued customer/pain in the A (delete as appropriate) that I have the maintenance manager on my whatsapp....my car goes to the happy place Wed to do the DSG filter and try to find the damn rattle and most probably replace the Eibachs with my OEM springs to see how that goes...will do