S-Tronic Diesels do have lauch control!

PJLarge

Reaction score
Having previously tried many times to get launch control working on my TDI 170, I came to the conclusion it wasn't implemented on the diesel models.

Correction - it is!

...and your tyres will not last long with it either.

What was happening was that the car was bogging down when trying to initiate the launch control procedure and the revs would return to idle. I've found that if the car moves even an inch forward whilst you're trying to do a launch, the car won't go into launch mode and it bogs down.

Here's the procedure:

Traction off
Engage Sport
Push the brake pedal down *as far as it will go* - I was not doing this previously so the car was able to move forward and not engage launch control.
Throttle to the floor

Petrol cars rev up to 3500 odd rpm, the diesel will rev up to 2000 rpm and hold steady waiting for you. When you're good to go, release the brake pedal and you're off. You can make really good getaways with this, but I was having trouble with traction today (although it was cold and the roads damp) - as soon as I hit 3000 rpm I'd break traction. Even so, 60 comes up in not much time at all.

Have fun, guys!

Reactions: K.A
maybe its only 170 version???

....which im getting lol

Does this not shorten the lifespan of your gearbox like the m3 and all that. Thats why your not told how to initiate it

PJLarge said:
Non-existant :)
You mean it spins the wheels up!? I'm very surprised by this - I thought the whole point of LC was that it used the traction control systems to make the fastest possible getaway without spinning the wheels excessively.

TBH, it does seem a little pointless unless you have Quattro... especially as you have to turn TC off before you use it....

Works on my 2005 140 tdi, but when you release the brake pedal, it aint exactly a responsive lauch! Takes a second for it to realise you've lifted off of the brake!

I wont be using it much me thinks :unsure:

PAT19799 said:
Works on my 2005 140 tdi, but when you release the brake pedal, it aint exactly a responsive lauch! Takes a second for it to realise you've lifted off of the brake!
Normal levels of DSG responsiveness then? ;)

While we're on the subject of DSG/S-tronic...

Don't you guys find it annoying that the paddles are on the steering wheel and not on the coloumn? Innocent question so please don't shout :S

Staz,

At a guess it because it is supposed to be designed around the gimmick of being an F1 type sporty system. So if you were driving on the track your hands stay in one position on the wheel at all times, so thats where the paddles need to be.

If they were fixed to the column and you were changing gear while going in/coming out of a corner you would have to move your hands of the wheel to reach them.

Terry.

PS. Alternativley, stick the car in D cos you are bored with the paddles and too lazy to change gear yourself!

When the paddles are on the column they are easily reachable from the wheel without taking your hands off. And you'd always know where they were. With DSG you'd have to know precisely waht position the wheel is in to change gear, especially as the flaps are only an inch and a half long. I can honestly say my hands are never in the 10 and 2 positions with reference to the top when I'm steering other than sweeping bends of course. I like the idea of the paddles. I drove a GTi with DSG and thought it was cool, but then on a roundabout I was a bit stumped that I couldn't instantaneously change gear cos I didn't know where the right paddle was.

OR...

is it like learning to drive a manual where you eventually get used to knowing where to find the gear changy thingamibob??

Vertigo1 said:
You mean it spins the wheels up!? I'm very surprised by this - I thought the whole point of LC was that it used the traction control systems to make the fastest possible getaway without spinning the wheels excessively.
It's hard to be sure what's going on when the roads are so slippy, but my car whips round to 4k in 1st pretty much straight away. I guess the traction control must be limiting power slightly to effect a fast getaway, otherwise you'd just be sat there generating plumes of tyre smoke which is not the case. Certainly, you're up to 40mph in no time.

PAT19799 said:

There is a delay, but it feels longer than it is I think. I'd estimate the delay is more like 1/2 a second - still not ideal and I agree it feels like an eternity if you are wanting to use the feature for it's intended benefit. You'll just have to work on your traffic light anticipation skills :blush:

terrymcg said:
Staz,

At a guess it because it is supposed to be designed around the gimmick of being an F1 type sporty system.
All very well in a proper F1 car where the steering is so quick you never have to take your hands off the wheel, not so good in a road car.

Tellingly, road going Ferraris have their paddles on the column.

While we're on the subject of DSG/S-tronic...

Don't you guys find it annoying that the paddles are on the steering wheel and not on the coloumn? Innocent question so please don't shout :S

Personally I tend to use the stick for most gear changing, except when I just want to change down for an overtake when I just click the paddles. A quick flick forward or backward very quickly becomes second nature and the stick is always in the same place !. I also tend to drive in tip-tronic mode most of the time and very rarely use either D or S. Much more enjoyable just nudging the stick forward to change up with full power still on - changes in a split second. Brings a whole new experience to driving.

I think I must have forgotten the tiptronic bit then, I guess that makes things a lot easier. And yeah I can imagine the paddles are good for straight line stuff. I just feel the whole principle of the paddles would be better if they were attached to the column and perhaps a lot bigger. Ferrari paddles are 3-4 inches long aren't they. I'm not knocking DSG at all. The gear box side of it is extremely good. But the interface is a bit lacking.
Although my question still stands, do you get used to knowing what position the wheel is in so you always know where the paddles are anyway?

No, I don't think you do get used to knowing where the paddles are....

When I drive in manual mode, I tend to use the paddles for "normal" driving on the straights or minor bends, but like you, you never know where the right paddle is to click it quickly if you're twirling the wheel around a roundabout or turning sharply at a junction.

I nearly always resort to the gear lever for the "first to second" change when pulling away and turning at the same time - otherwise its far too late when I've managed to find the paddle, cos its never near my hand a the time....

I also try and use both paddles and gear lever from time to time to keep both sets of buttons and contacts exercised.....

There is also something quite theraputic about using that gear lever - it just feels so solid and has a lovely precise movement....

h5djr said:
Much more enjoyable just nudging the stick forward to change up with full power still on - changes in a split second. Brings a whole new experience to driving.

Why bother ?
Just wait a bit longer and it'll do it for you anyway,you naughty little how dare you want control driver.

Pile of pants that it is.

PAT19799 said:

Really! I have the same model car as you and mines doesn;t work.

J.

Doesn't work on my 2005 Sportback either MB.
I think these people are delusional.
You can 'fake' some sort of launch control my standing on the brake and then flooring the throttle,but it ain't launch control.
The car gets into a right kerfuffle and there is a massive delay between releasing the brake and the car moving.
I used to do the same thing on hills,but it wasn't worth the grief.
(left foot on brake,right foot on throttle).
The slight rollback I get by quickly flitting from brake to throttle is preferable to the mess it used to get into when you pressed the throttle with the brake on.

Why bother ?
Just wait a bit longer and it'll do it for you anyway,you naughty little how dare you want control driver.

The normal expected synical reply from bowfer...

I do it because I enjoy it and unlike some people I prefer not to wait to maximum revs before I change up.