S-Tronic and a weird 'no gear selected' problem at traffic islands

RPB

Reaction score
I have the S-Tronic gearbox on my S3 and have had the following issue I would say around 3 times since owning this car from new.
I do have a Shark ECU map and a Shark DSG map.
I am in M mode, coming up to a traffic roundabout, as the traffic is not moving I do not manually change down gears as I know when I stop, the DSG will select the 1st or 2nd gear for me.
Whilst slowing down the traffic starts to move so I am now rolling at say around 5 to 10 mph at this point. I press the pedal to 'go' and the DSG is effectively in neutral and all it does is rev up and I go nowhere cus it is not even in any gear at all! Now this is quite dangerous and indeed frightening should any car appear on the roundabout whilst I am 'stuck' in neutral frantically trying to get moving. Its so weird! If I do not select a gear in M then why is it not just staying in 3rd or 4th then? How and why it gets into neutral amazes me.
I then find myself pulling the paddles trying to get it to sort it's sh*t out so i can get moving again.
Anyone else had this before?
Regards,
Rich.

mine has done the same. prob 3 times in 8-9 months. 2012 S3. S-Tronic done 9.5k. No dsg map but I do have a shark ecu map.

To clarify, it happened before I had the remap too. so it's not a "shark" thing.

It gets confused, it's a computer afterall. but perhaps a glitch that Audi need to sort as more and more people discovers it.

yep! there was a recall for just this scenario ...

Gerbox%20recall.jpg

not sure if they'll wipe your map when updating the ECU.

Hi Guys

I'm having the exact issue the OP described with my 2011 S3. The car is standard and has covered 24k. It always happens when shifting down from fourth to third or third to second at low speed and only when the car is warm. The worst time yet was when I changed lane on the motorway and put my foot down only to have no drive. I changed to D and back to M but it still took around 5 seconds to engage which almost resulted in me being ploughed into by a 4x4!

Audi had my car for a service a couple of months ago but as it's an intermittent thing they said they couldn't find the fault after plugging it in or road testing it a few times. They said they reset some software but the fault is still coming up. I've tried to recreate it several times but it really is a random issue! Is there anything I can say or do to help them understand the problem or to demand some sort of fix? I'm still in warranty until April and would really like it fixed before then.

Cheers