S-Line Xenons

pns2007

Moonstone Grey
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've been taking a detour to work and back the past few mornings and evenings and noticed that as I drive down a track with the odd pot hole etc that the beam from the headlights seem to flicker slighlty.

Is this normal for xenons? This is the first car I've had with them fitted and there is definately a flicker of the bulb ( as though the bulb vibrates a bit) if you know what I mean:think:

Thanks

Is it a flicker or just the fact that you really notice it? Not wishing to insult you honest ;)

With Xenons the light cut off is really sharp and hence any movement is noticed much more than on halogens with the softer edges.

I've not had any such issues of flickering on mine.

No flickering on mine either but the beam does seem to go up and down with any undulations in the road surface as the xenons are so bright.

Might just be that then! As I said these are the first xenon lights I've had on any of my cars and I must say they are a hell of a lot better than halogens.

thanks for your replies

:beerchug:

I've been taking a detour to work and back the past few mornings and evenings and noticed that as I drive down a track with the odd pot hole etc that the beam from the headlights seem to flicker slighlty.

Is this normal for xenons? This is the first car I've had with them fitted and there is definately a flicker of the bulb ( as though the bulb vibrates a bit) if you know what I mean:think:

Thanks

Think this is normal. I've seen this on different Xenon equipped car's.

Mine did the same.Absolutely normal.I whinged to my dealer, and he stated that it was normal.Two weeks later I get a phone call from them saying my new lights were in!!!They stated that theyd reported it to audi, and audi wanted to check them out, so new ones were fitted(there was nowt wrong with the originals).Shame i did cos i swear the old ones were brighter.But the new ones still flicker over bumps.Dont worry about it.I do notice however that they steam up.....and this is not covered by warranty....

Ditto I have it very slightly on mine and wifeys ED30 GTI is the same

Ah right! Thats interesting. I'm not too bothered by the 'flickering' was just concerned that it might decrease the life of the bulb or cause it to blow. If the car has to go in for anything I'll mention it just as a precaution.

Thanks

I think they constantly auto-adjust level to avoid blinding oncoming traffic...at least they do on my S3

I have a 2006 B7 with factory Xenons and they definitely flicker over pot holes as if the lamps themselves are loose in the mountings but both lamp units and wiring / bulbs look OK , its hard to imagine that the self levelling could act so quickly ?
Ian

I've noticed that when the headlamps first switch on, you can see the beam pattern move up, then down. Is this the self-levelling system at work?

Yep - I believe it's a system check and maybe calibration. On mine they also do the left / right check for the adaptive movement.

The up/down is more than self levelling. The lights adjust up/down depending on speed too. I think that's all B8's and not just those with adaptive.

I have had Xenon’s on three other cars 2 Audi A4 & A3 and a RS Clio they all flicker on bumps. I find it a help and a hindrance some people move out they way because they think you have flashed them other pull out for the same reason. Still fantastic lights!