S-Line in Lava or Dolphin Grey?

grimsa

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've narrowed down my color choice to Lava or Dolphin for my new s-line 3 door 170 tdi. But can't decide which color looks best. I like them both and getting close to flipping a coin.

Does anyone have pictures of their cars in either of these colors they could post? Especially interested to see if you have new rs4 alloys!

Cheers,

Grimsa.

I'd go for Dolphin Grey. Lava Grey is a bit like a black that needs a good clean/polish!

lava grey is just way too dark, almost black, a ****** to keep clean.

Lava Grey is like a warm grey black - see my gallery - and has great golden highlight in strong sunshine. Not as hard to keep clean as black, but not as easy as mid-greys. It actually almost looks like black with a layer of shiny dust. I personally like it - as dolphin gery is a little flat.

Oh - my gallery has disappeared. I'll put some more up

I'll post some pics of my Lava Grey quattro when I get home - I think it's probably the best colour, but yes it needs regular cleaning the same as any dark colour.

Dolphin Grey is soooo 2002 :)

Yes Lava Grey does show the dirt almost as bad as black but it does have some interesting variations according to light and viewing angle - there is supposed to be a bronzeish tint to suggest heat - hence Lava I suppose.

I got lava grey myself, a few reasons really ...

- thinking of putting up some aluminum side mirrors, so with lava grey that will stand out more
- I have aluminum rail on the roof, so same point there
- in some light you can almost see some purple-ish, which to me is kinda cool, not as solid as black and still great contrast with aluminum

If I were going for an Audi again,it would be Dolphin for me.
I like that sort of 'colour' on loads of cars.
I don't think my Akoya has aged well.
I don't mean condition-wise,as that is fine.
I mean that it seemed like a good idea at the time,and was certainly popular,but it doesn't seem such a good idea now.
A case of a colour being 'trendy'.

My previous A3 tdi 140 sport was lava grey and it looked pretty good however it was a t--t to keep clean.Before I purchased my sportback 170 S Line I went to the dealers and saw an avus and lava grey side by side.I went for avus because it showed up the features of the S Line
better and in my opinion suits the car better.

So I would go to dealers and see the colours you like side by side and make your choice yourself.

After all beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers everyone for your comments and photo links.

I'm all done. My new A3 is gonna be lava grey.

:salute:

I'd go for a dolphin, lava grey can look a little brown under different light conditions.

grimsa said:
Cheers everyone for your comments and photo links.

I'm all done. My new A3 is gonna be lava grey.

:salute:

Excellent choice! So now just the unbelievable wait and then time to enjoy.

Wahay, the orders in. Lava Grey S-Line Quattro 170. Can't wait.

Just got the long wait now then:).

Heres some pics of our lava grey car(excuse the man boobs.lol).
Frontside.jpg

front1.jpg

Side1.jpg

grimsa said:
Wahay, the orders in. Lava Grey S-Line Quattro 170. Can't wait.

Just curious, did the dealer tell you how long of a wait it will be for you? what is the estimate build week?

mcmasman said:
Just curious, did the dealer tell you how long of a wait it will be for you? what is the estimate build week?

Dealer quoted 12-13 weeks for factory build.

I could'nt be ***** to wait, so picked one from UK stock. Had a choice of 5 Lava Grey cars - the one i picked had the spec closest to what i wanted.

Only missing option on the stock car was cruise, but the dealer has offered to retro fit.

10 days or so and i should have it.

oh wow, that is excellent! Good for you. Mine is finally coming next week after 13 weeks of waiting ... any mods in mind for the new motor?