1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rusty Tailpipe!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by docdid, Jan 24, 2006.

1. docdid

docdid New Member

Apart from the reference in the profanisaurus!

anybody had any bother with rust on the exhaust pipes. My sportback 3.2 sline is coming up to a year old and has a clear case of rusty barnacles on the twin pipes. Audi CS say it is not covered in the guarantee.

docdid

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Apart from the reference in the profanisaurus!

anybody had any bother with rust on the exhaust pipes. My sportback 3.2 sline is coming up to a year old and has a clear case of rusty barnacles on the twin pipes. Audi CS say it is not covered in the guarantee.

docdid

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell can they say rust on one year old pipes doesn't come under the warranty ?
    What mileage have you done ?
    Sounds like you got a phone operator who merely looked on a card,saw "exhaust not covered" and left it at that.

By law,everything you buy must last a reasonable time for reasonable use.

I think you need to have a chat with your local dealer warranty manager.

You'll probably find him a damned sight more understanding than some twerp at the end of a phone.

4. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

agreed its not good! My pipes (!!) are nice and clean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

must admit, mine were looking a bit pish after a couple of months of neglect.

Howerver, Meguiars metal polish to the rescue!!!

Barnacles removed and a marked improvement. When I can sit on the ground without getting farmers I'll have another crack at it.

6. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

I'm assuming the tailpipes are coated/plated and are certainly a part of the cosmetic look of the car ?

Like alloys ?

I wouldn't accept alloys that rot in under a year,so I wouldn't expect a cosmetic part of the exhuast to either.

7. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

mine are after-market stainless jobs, welded on to the original diesel pipes.

Seem to remember that diesel fumes are more corrosive than petrol?

8. Nelson_R32

Nelson_R32 Member

Exhaust is wear and tear.

Try some Autosol on them, should bling them up nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Exhaust is wear and tear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you work for Audi customer services ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you accept that,that's your lookout but things are rarely as 'black and white' as that and,in this case,I'd be very surprised if a warranty manager didn't agree that rust on a cosmetic part of a 1 year old exhaust is wrong.

I once had a Primera ( I know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) that came with a black painted back box.

The paint started flaking off after a few months,making the rear of the car look untidy.

No problems with the dealer,it shouldn't have happened,so they replaced it no problem at all.

10. Before this gets out of hand - there's rust and there's rust.. Any chance of a Picture of the Item please before i pass judgement on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif