Rusty Discs

beaker

Reaction score
I've noticed that my brake discs seem to be getting a rusty coating if I leave the car sitting unused for a couple of days or more. It goes away when I use the car the brakes make a horrible noise when I first use them, presumably as the coating is being rubbed off. Is this normal? Is it damaging to the brakes in any way?

[ QUOTE ]
Every car I've ever had has done that. Wouldn't worry about it

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

If it's been a wet day the rust can happen after a few hours.

Kev.

OK then. I think this happened on my golf as well but its probably a lot more noticable with the s-line wheels.

The discs on mine, and all my previous cars, go rusty from the time I start to wash my car to when I rinse it.

Don't worry, one of those things

J.

I recently bought a A3 which was quite badly affected with rust,not on the actually part of the disc where the pads touch.but on the part where it bows out and connects to the wheel. I took it to Audi Perth where it looks like they have just resprayed it. It now looks like the rust is starting to come thru again. Anybody had anything similar? It`s on a 05 plate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

disks suffer a lot of heat from braking and any paint applied at day one soon wears off. Most disks these days are not treated to stop rust, as the braking action wears any coating off most of the disk, you can buy special disks with a special coating but you pay a lot more for them.

Looks like this
Audi009.jpg

same on my 5 month old car. A design feature of Audi to prevent rusting when standing only not for inlife. Get your self a tub of hammerite and give them a lick of paint and do the calipers at the same time, thats what I will be doing when the weather smartens up

I'll be doing the same as well when it warms up cos mine are going much the same. Will hammerite do the job? What about the colour match? The colour isn't too disimilar to the alloys. Anyone done this before?

I have painted Calipers before on the last two cars, first time with Caliper paint, second car with Hammerite. The Hammerite was the best and lasted without any problems the two years I had the car

Discs get very hot, a high temperature paint is more advisable, if you remove all rust first the coating will last alot longer.

Oh and try and avoid spraying the contact surface!

Does anyone have any pics what what parts of the caliper you can and can't paint? Please post um if you have!!

anything rubber stay away from, anything metal paint, so the fronts of the calipers, the sides, the hubs

You can get special heat resistant bright silver paint at Halfords, used it on a prev car. Think it was safe up to 1000 degrees celcius.

Ok guys looks like a trip to halfrauds for some hammerite when the time comes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif I just love me smilies.

I really would not bother with the Caliper paint and just go for hammerite, but go with what you are comfortable with

I've painted loads og brake calipers, carries, engines etc all with hammerite and never had a problem with the paint burning Best bit is it's quick, quick drying and looks fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I generally have always used caliper paint, but I know a few who always use Hammerite and they have never had any problems. I did paint the hubs with smoothrite though and they look pretty good. Better than rust.