Rust spots in stone chips

_Zerocool_

Reaction score
I have a couple of stone chips on my S3. Nothing major but there are specks of rust in them the size of pin heads if that makes sense.
I don't really want to touch up the stone chip without treating the rust. Can anyone recommend a good treatment to put in first?
I don't want sand paper anywhere near it. Thanks

I had something like what you describe, although i had a long line along my driver side door edge (where the tyre pressure stickers are) a mate lent me his detailing clay bar, worked amazingly well, also used it to get some stubborn black spots near the wheel arch and sill areas off, as well as some other tiny rust spots off here and there.

if they are stone chips, you could try a clay bar to remove the rust spots, then use a touch up kit from audi (£5).

Trick is to keep the clay bar lubricated, and then use a cloth after to wipe off any spray, followed by polishing and waxing.

Ste, I've only had it a week. Its from the previous owner. I'm trying to get it back on track (new oil & filter on monday, spent £100 on cleaning and detailing kit, fully waxed with meg 16 mmmmm, leather cleaner and cond ordered, new mats on order etc...)

Scotty if that chipex stuff works then it looks very impressive. I think I'll give that a go... Have you used it before? Just need to sort the specs of rust first...

Cheers Apollo. A clay bar for rust spots?! really? I was thinking, can you get something that you can just dab in the chip to neutralise the rust? Then use the chipex system to fill them in? Something like T-Cut Rust Magic Pen | CarPlan Car Care - International

These really are teeny tiny spots, its only a 2010 car!

Yep. I've used the Chipex system, it was very good and the colour match was spot on. I read a fair few reviews before I bought it and it seemed positive. I believe Juicy Jen uses it on her car so must be good. :) They make it in different sizes now which is good. When I bought it, it was only available in one size which cost £50.

Not sure about the T-Cut pen but my Dad used to swear by this stuff Jenolite Rust Treatment jelly 40G: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Or maybe it was "swear at".... :)

Cheers Apollo. A clay bar for rust spots?! really? I was thinking, can you get something that you can just dab in the chip to neutralise the rust? Then use the chipex system to fill them in? Something like T-Cut Rust Magic Pen | CarPlan Car Care - International

Yeah no word of a lie, i used a very small clay bar, rust came off instantly, they looked like little orangey/yellow dots, some about 1mm in diameter some in 2mm, but either way it worked for me, i didnt need to use any touch up kit, except for some proper nasty chips on my bonnet / bumper.

That pen sounds like its what you need, if the rust is below the top coat, i would actually suggest using the kit scotty recommended instead of the audi touch up kit, looks much better.

Cheers all. When its dryer I'll give it all a whirl - guna go with the chipex kit.