1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rust chip

Aidy06 Jun 6, 2013

1. Aidy06

Aidy06 Member VCDS Map User

Just had car cleaned and noticed a paint chip that has gone rusty, it's roughly the size of a 5 pence piece. Should I be concerned about this? Will it spread? Just been to 'Halfrauds' for a touch up pen but they don't have a lava grey, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Here is the culprit...

[​IMG]

2. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

I would address that asap before it spreads, lifts paint/lacquer.

3. Aidy06

Whats the best thing to do with it mate? Address it myself or should I get somebody to do it?

4. NHN

Something that large, get it done properly, no offense.

5. Aidy06

No offence taken Nigel, any idea how much I should be looking at paying for something like this? Now I need to find somewhere to do it, anybody any recommendations around the Mancehster area? Thanks

6. NHN

Pass, looks like the rear quarter panel, so if they do below the trim line only with a good colour match, then shouldn't be too bad, may require that panel, hard to tell without rubbing back, but it has some other chips above it anyway, just find a few paint shops fella.

7. Aidy06

Cheers, I'll rings around a few today. Any good things to say about 'Chips Away'?

8. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

Firstly, needs rust neutralised before painting.
    My car had a deep chip on the bonnet. Place bought car from had it repaired to an invisible finish.