Rust - Bottom of Wheel Arch

SAiLO

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have noticed a bit of rust at the bottom of the near side front wheel arch and on the part of the bit which before the side skirt.
Reported it to audi dealership and they said they would get in touch, although it might be due to salt/rocks from the road damaging the paint. Not sure about that theory.

Did anyone have a similar problem?

Hope they fix it under 12 year corrosion warranty.

Mine's an 04 plate.

Will post photos later.

Have you had any experiences with claiming under audi bodywork warranty?
Surely it should apply if there was no damage just water/salt?

I suspect it wont be covered given the area would be susceptible to road debri, stones etc, so easily chipped & thus allows for rust, any pics?

on my old S3 8L had bubbling roof rails they painted the whole rear quarter panels both sides and the roof FREE! was awesome but yet again im in Australia so maybe different... they need to see that the car hasnt been paint ever.. i.e. still was the OE paint on it

DSC00514DSC00515DSC00512DSC00513DSC00516DSC00516

I get a feeling they'll blame external chipping and not fix it under warranty - but it's got to be worth a try anyway.

My 2007 a3 has a bit of rust coming through where the rear quarter panel meets the bumpers didn't realise cars came with a 12 year corrosion warranty saying that the car was resprayed due to some kind person scratching it when my partner had the car

My 2007 a3 has a bit of rust coming through where the rear quarter panel meets the bumpers didn't realise cars came with a 12 year corrosion warranty saying that the car was resprayed due to some kind person scratching it when my partner had the car

has the rear quater panel been paint cause they will measure it after you call and book in an inspection.. that what they did with mine.. turned out my front bumper and wings were painted but not the roof/rear quarters... so it went ahead wish was great even gave me a loan car and groomed the S3 after finishing the paint work..took 10 days though

I think it has been sprayed i'am going to Dundee Audi next week for a touch up pen so I might chance my luck and see what they say is there a mileage limit on it as I'am now sat at over a hundred thousand on the clock

My 2005 audi a3 has this badly. It's had bits sprayed Aswell on my. As well as the underside bit all along and by the back wheels too! Bits of mine have been sprayed but probably worth a call in y local audi? Ill Try posted some pics tomorrow!

As much as I'd like to say yep, this will all be paid for by Audi, i cant see that happening..... that area is far too prone to stone damage, I mean thats the first place a stone would hit!

But yes, they'd have to prove that it was stone damage...... and judging by some on here(disostu49), thats going to be difficult as there are no physical stone chip markings as its a fairly long patch of rust.....(which may be a good thing!!)

I know alot of VW-MK5 owners had a lot of success with rusty wings being repaired, so I may well be eating my hat....but I still just cant see it happening :-(

Also, When you peel back your arch liner, often there is alot of soil/muck/sh1t in behind there, which will hold moisture and ultimately corrode your bodywork over time, so its worth checking behind there to make sure the area is clean.

+ to add, if its seen paint from someone else, your going to be told to see who repaired/prepared/painted it and see what they can do, as its gonna be the "who ever touched it last" approach with these things, so Audi is "off the hook" as the area has been tampered with outside of the Audi Paint/Corrosion Warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see what happens.
I hope they sort it as there was no work done on the areas affected as far as I am aware and there is nothing to indicate the paint was damaged there by stone chips.
I did have some work, MOT and servicing done by audi too (not in the last two years, though).

Fingers crossed.

How do you go about getting an inspection done by your local Audi? Do you go to the actual sales/showroom bit and explain to somebody there?

I've got a few bits of rust on the A pillar which I may as well see what they'll do about.

I just walked into local dealership and asked to speak to someone about audi 12 year corrosion warranty.
Simple as that.

Service desk, which is always in the sales showroom.

Youll then probably speak to a manager or a specific warranty man/woman.

Or in some cases they have an in house body shop, and one of their chaps will come and see you after you've been to the service desk.

I just walked into local dealership and asked to speak to someone about audi 12 year corrosion warranty.
Simple as that.

Service desk, which is always in the sales showroom.

Youll then probably speak to a manager or a specific warranty man/woman.

Or in some cases they have an in house body shop, and one of their chaps will come and see you after you've been to the service desk.

Cheers lads, I'll give it a go in the next couple of weeks when work's a bit quiter. From what I've read on other threads regarding the 12 year corrosion warranty, there seems to be no consistency in the results that people get. Some get it done FOC, others get the goodwill 30/70 split (Person in question having to pay for 30% of the work) and some getting refused due to it being left too long/no recent Audi service history etc.

Costs nowt to have a go though :icon_thumright:

My wifes 2006 R32 has rust on the sill between the sill & the front wing on both the drivers & passengers side, i havent been to the VAG dealer yet but i would like to think this would be covered under the anti corrosion warrenty

OPs pics ... dat jack denting :p

Also, I have a bit of rust on the arches and a few chips. Just the age of some of our cars I recon. It happens.

This is when I miss my A2 ... it has all aluminium panels. No rust worries. Damn that car was cool.

Hopefully you have better luck than myself! I've just been through two inspections with Bristol Audi approved bodyshop (Mon Motors) for corrosion on my 56 Plate car.

Unlike yours, mine range in location and are classed as 'micro chipping' - chips so small you can barely see them (hair folicle size to tiny chips). In short, anything that breaks the outer protection, rendering the bodywork exposed to the elements will not be covered and I've had four claims denied and two approved. The game continues! :banghead:

Best of luck

ive just been to audi for this

i have that small amount in the exact same place and my cars also dolphin grey and 2006/56 reg, i think was due to gril and stuff early this year when it snowed heavy

OPs pics ... dat jack denting :p

I know, have to get it sorted. It bugs me when I see it but then forgetting about it.
Not sure if I should go bodyshop or try and call one of the dent removal companies.

A case of treating the rust and painting, then stick on some of those dinky mudflaps