Running temperature

cadoc

Reaction score
1998 1.8T Automatic A3

Hello,
What is the normal running temp. of the car (i.e. on the dashboard gauge)?
Only asking as after, say, a 10 mile run and I'm waiting at traffic lights, the temperature seems to rise significantly (but not overheating).
Whilst I'm at a standstill and running, I get a bit of a fumey/petrol smell through the air/heater outlets as well.
Once I'm driving away, the temperature drops back off and the fumey smell disappears.
Can anyone specify a problem ?
I've also noticed that the radiator fan 30A fuse (F16) is missing from the dashboard fusebox. Is this significant ?
Thanks.
progress.gif

mine normaly warms up and sits bang on 90 degrees and doesnt really budge, dont know what the fumey smell could be about, sorry couldnt be of more help mate:uhm:

if theres no fuse for the fan, the fan wont run, so if your sat at traffic lights theres no airflow into the radiotor to cool it, the temperature should stay spot on 90degrees after its warmed up all the time, if going above 90 when your not movin youv got a problem, first thing to do would be to get a fuse or check if the fan actually runs, if the temp drops below 90 when your drivin around (just like mine did) you have a not so serious problem, id say check the thermostat as thats what it was on mine, hope this helps

Thanks for the replies - I'll give it another check but maybe everythings OK.
I did buy a new fuse but then noticed that there doesn't appear to be the connections in the fuse space for the fuse to plug into (perhaps there isn't supposed to be a fuse placed here for my model ?).
The temperature doesn't go above 90º when I'm stopped (e.g. in traffic) but I've noticed that most of the time the gauge is reading 60º or less when I'm under normal running conditions.
Is this the norm ?

P.S. the fume problem was caused by a broken breather pipe that I've fixed.

most likely needs a new thermostat and then temp will rise and stay constant

Also - with reference to the fumes, check that the black hose is connected to the bottom part of the air filter box as if it is left unplugged (they do snap off sometimes) the crankcase fumes will be collected by the heater and you will essentially be breathing these fumes in.

The hose is a hard corrugated pipe made from black plastic, not rubber and is push-fitted to the airbox near the gearbox side. It's also worthwhile changing the temp sender to the newer 'green' top one and if your changing the thermostat, get yourself a new dipstick tube too, these break very easily!

Temp sender is about £22, thermostat about £12, dipstick tube £4.

I'm also thinking of changing my thermostat and wondering if u lose much coolent?i've got half a litre spare in the shed,whould that be enough to top up after?

Reactions: moosevtrsp1
You tend to lose nearly all the coolant in the system as soon as the thermostat is removed, it's a good time to flush the system out if you fancy it and top up with new G12+ (2ltrs?), so in answering your question - no, you won't have enough unless you 'recycle' the coolant and top up using the half litre spare that you have.