1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running Temperature?

Golt Apr 6, 2007

1. Golt

Golt New Member

I'm having a weird problem with my car.

It's a 1.9tdi 2000 reg avant and it has started running at around 90 degrees whilst driving at 60mph. If I get up to beteewn 80 and 100mph it shoots up to 110 degrees.

It used to run around 75-80 degrees all the time, and has only started doing this in the last week. I have checked the water and oil and all is good.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers in advance.

Mike

2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It should run at 90 all the time, mine never moves.
    More likely to be the thermostat, sticking open or halfway open, so that the radiator performance is compromised. At a certain speed the airflow alone is enough to keep the car cool, but at higher speeds not enough coolant is circulating for the rad to do its job. This would also be why you get a low reading in normal driving.
    It could also be the temp sender, common fault and easy DIY job. They cost about £20 from Audi dealer and is fairly accessible at the back of the engine near the top although they tend to fail completely and not give any reading on the temp gauge, this doesn't just effect the temp gauge but will also give you lumpy cold starts and possible stalling when engine is cold.

3. Golt

Golt New Member

Cheers for that, really helpful. I'll have a butchers after the weekend.

Thanks again.

4. Phantom_A4

Phantom_A4 Member

During the day, your car will stick at 90 or just below in warm conditions (hot not being the best term in England). During the evening/night, sticking at 80mph it should run cooler than 90.

5. AndyMac

It should run at 90 whatever the weather, that's what the thermostat and the fans are for. The car cannot operate at optimum performance unless its kept at the correct operating temp.

6. Phantom_A4

Phantom_A4 Member

I always found when your on the motorway at night, the temp was a lot cooler. Round town driving it was just 90.

7. AndyMac

Just means your thermostat or coolant sensor isn't working properly. If it's cold out then the thermostat closes to restrict the coolant through the rad. If it's hot then it opens, if it's really hot then the fans kick in. It's not that complicated.
    All the Audi's I've ever had (or any car for that matter) never move from 90 (unless there's something wrong)

8. dsmclark40v

dsmclark40v Member

Don't want to worry you but i had a peugeot that did that and it turned out being a head gasket gone

9. GSB1

GSB1 Member

I'm no mechanic, but have read a few of these threads now and I think fluctuating temperature can be, temp sensor, thermostat or water pump.

Should be bang on 90 once warmed up.

10. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed! VCDS Map User

first, how many miles has the car done, if over 60k has the timing belt been done, if it has was the waterpump changed? The audi units have a plastic impeller and this can break up. But like Andy says its more than likely to be the thermostat. If you suspect the headgasket, open the coolant expansion tank and have a sniff, if you can smell exhaust fumes thats a bit of a giveaway.

11. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

Mine has run cool for as long as i can remember, i have tried 2 different thermostats,and a new pump,and a temp sender. I think it may have something to do with the leccy fan running all of the time,i am not sure if its supposed to run at higher temps, or when aircon is on

12. Caesium

The air con will make the cooling fan come on more often thats for sure. but as for running continuously it shouldn't unless your stuck in heavy traffic on a hot day

13. Golt

Golt New Member

Thanks for the help folks but the diagnosis is a busted water pump. Its the plastic impeller that had gone, a common problem I have been led to believe. Getting it fixed this weekend hopefully. The only problem now is I still have to get to work everyday so have to drive at about 55mph to keep the temperature down.

Bugger!! :keule:

Also had to cancel my new exhaust as well, was supposed to be getting that fittted on Thursday. Don't know how much its gonna cost to sort this pump problem yet.

Bugger again!! :keule:

14. Caesium

God damn I'm good!

15. AndyMac

Might as well get them to do the timing belt & tensioner at the same time as the labour won't be much more and it's only about £100 of parts, will save you forking out another £400 later down the line.
    I bet it was Audi who did the timing belt previously and didn't replace the £35 water pump at the same time. You were lucky it didn't seize up and take out most of your valves.

16. Golt

Golt New Member

The chap who is doing it is a mate and he did mention about doing the timing belt etc at the same time. Hopefully the costs wont be too high.

Twas a good prediction indeed!!!! Nice one!

Bit worried about this as I'm still using the car, I have no choice as I have to get to work. I am driving it very carefully, but dont want to cause any more damage. Advice gladly accepted!

17. GSB1

GSB1 Member

You are going to be doing timing belt, tensioner, water pump and thermostat (I believe it is behind the water pump so makes sense).

Depending on rates anything from £400-£800 (more like dealer price) although I am sure they could make it 4 digits.

Pay about £550 or less and you've done OK I think.