1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running fitness. Army lot?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Reyes, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Reyes

Reyes Member

Just looking for general advice (From MoD/Squaddies in particular)
    I joined the army around 4 years ago but had to bail out of Catterick due to very serious personal problems, which lead to a loss in the family. However, I am joining again very soon - I've had it planned for a few months now as it's where I want to be.

I am struggling with my running, which is unusual for me. I am unsure if it has anything to do with my previous lifestyle in the last year (Mild bodybuilding with the use of Dianabol steroids - Which I'm not proud about) and also smoking.
    I need to be aiming for 1.5 miles in 9 minutes or less. At the moment, it's a shocking 13.5 minutes. I live next to Edgbaston Reservoir (1.75 Mile)[​IMG]
    Which I run every other day.

Cutting smoking will be easier for me as opposed to anybody else as I only smoke around 3 a day. I don't drink anymore and when I do, it would be a sociable shandy after a countryside drive.

Does anybody have any secrets/tips to shortening running time and maintaining stamina? I do fartlek training every other day, just to see how I can push myself.