Running engine in on new Audi A3

StevenH

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m pick up my new Audi A3 2.0TDI 170 Black Edition tomorrow. Just wondering if I have to run the engine in before putting my foot down and if so how many miles?

Cheers,

Hello,

Lucky git!

The engines are pre run so I am led to believe but I would ease it in for the first 1000 or so, also the breaks and everything else will need to bed in for the first 1000 or so. Just take it steady but most of all enjoy!

Si

id have an oil and filter done after 2-3k. then every 8-10k or 12 months. especially if you plan on keeping it for a few years.

an engine cant have too many oil changes!

id have an oil and filter done after 2-3k. then every 8-10k or 12 months. especially if you plan on keeping it for a few years.

an engine cant have too many oil changes!

When I was on a tour of the Audi factory in Ingolstadt a couple of years ago, the guide said that all the new cars produced were filled with a special formula oil which was specifically designed for new engines and should remain in the engine for at least 10,000 miles.

Perhaps a new engine can have too many oil changes. All my 7 so far A3s have been on the Audi AVS system with the oil being changed at around 18-19k miles and have not given any trouble at all. Modern oils that meet the VW specification are specifically formulated to give a much longer life than older oils.

As far as running-in is concerned just treat the car gently for the first 600 miles and don't exceed 2/3rds of full throttle. From 500 to 1200 miles gradually build up the engine revs and speed. This is Audi's recommendation in the Owner's Manual.

Last edited: