1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Run Flat Tyres?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by swift, Apr 7, 2013.

1. swift

swift Member

[Apr 7, 2013]
    I need to replace all four tyres which are 225 40 18 but am unsure if i can fit run flat tyres on them as i was told you need tyre pressure sensors fitted? my car is also a quattro and im getting part worn tyres will this affect handling in any way?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. Kelza

Kelza MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Apr 7, 2013]
    Tbh i,ve never liked runflats and i,ve seen a few bad examples of the tyre spitting from the side walls ,why not just get a set of really top tyres and have a spare in the boot ...
  4. smurfworth

smurfworth Well-Known Member

[Apr 7, 2013]
    I think there was a lot of BMW alloys cracking when they decided to fit run flats as a standard option. Although I'm not 100% sure that was the whole reason behind it.
  5. Kelza

[Apr 7, 2013]
    I,ve seen a few on different cars ,my boss get about a year out of falken runflats before they go ...but then again it is a brabus...
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  6. box500

box500 Member

[Apr 7, 2013]
    Stupidly hard ride according to most people. Also I have had one puncture in over 20 years of motoring so they are pretty pointless IMHO
  7. Kelza

[Apr 7, 2013]
    I,m the same box ,touch wood lol
  8. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

[Apr 8, 2013]
    Suspension not set up for ROF's.. Plus your insurance will have to be informed as these are not manufacturer spec.
    Had ROF's on my Mini, but I still carried a space saver wheel. They worked okay, but like any tyre if, it has a blow out, tyre will not be able to drive on. Stick to normal tyres and carry a spare...
  9. Dandle

Dandle Member

[Apr 8, 2013]
    You shouldn't fit run-flat tyres to a wheel rim not designed for them. The rim on a run-flat wheel has an EH+ (extended hump) profile and a normal wheel rim uses an H profile. A non run-flat tyres bead will fit onto a run-flat wheel rim but the other way around bead wont seat correctly and although it may hold pressure it definitely couldn't be used with low pressure like a run-flat is designed to.