1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rumble from the rear....help

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by S4twiggy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. S4twiggy

S4twiggy Fully Certified Detailer!!

couple weeks ago i heard a rumble sound coming from the rear, when travelling at low speeds 5-10mph it rumbles and then as you speed up it goes and there is a slight whine. first i was thinkning wheel bearing but after having the car jacked up at the rear i spun the drivers side rear wheel and it spun no worries but when i tried the near side rear wheel it was hard to spin to the point where you really have to force the wheel to turn so a seized piston came into my head so took the wheel off and un done the caliper bolts and tried to get the caliper off and it wouldnt budge and the only way i got it off was with a hammer. would a seized piston cause this rumbling sound as i cant tell, i so dont want it to be a rear diff but how can i tell if the diff is on its way out, the rear diff has a slight leak from the seal so i shall i get some diff oil to top it up but the question's im asking is would a seized piston in the rear caliper make a rumbling sound or would it be the diff making that noise??
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

ye i guess a siezed caliper could cause a rumbly/scrapy kinda noise

Craigs diff was run low on oil, and it makes more of a whine than a rumble. You can only hear it at certain speeds and on certain road surfaces, otherwise it gets drowned out.
  3. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member

Do you have a brake wind back tool this would tell you if the piston is stuck. The problem you sometime get into is the rear caliper mount gets covered in crud and the pads and get stuck, Give the caliper a good clean with a wire brush and check the piston, don't wind it all the way in just give it a 1/8 of a turn in, then refit all the parts and check. Use the foot brake first to push the piston back onto the pads.