1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rubbery gooey coolant pipe at back of cylinder head!

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by glenandem, May 23, 2013.

1. glenandem

glenandem Member

[May 23, 2013]
    hi guys when i was replacing clutch yesterday i had a look up the back of the engine and saw that what looked like a coolant pipe on the turbo side of my 1.9 tdi had gone soft and gooey and looks like it needs replacing sharpish, looks like a pain to get to too!
    has anyone ever replaced this pipe and are they easy to get from above with removing turbo pipe etc?
    also i found an oil leak from around the butterfly,throttle assembley, ive already blocked egr valve off but is there anything else i can do to stop all this dirty oil coming out somewhere?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. Mike_B

Mike_B Active Member

[May 23, 2013]
  4. benjie

benjie Active Member

[May 24, 2013]
    Is it quite a small rubber hose the comes out of a larger coolant pipe in the middle of the engine bay and runs to the back? If so, I had that changed 8 months ago - tandem pump was leaking & the diesel had perished the pipe. Was losing coolant (enough to trigger a warning) in 20min of 'fast' driving.
  5. glenandem

glenandem Member

[May 24, 2013]
    yeah thats the one, is it easy to get to?
  6. benjie

benjie Active Member

[May 25, 2013]
    I didn't change it, garage did. For what it's worth, they didn't say it was difficult... apparently access to the tandem pump to change the seal was very tricky.
  7. glenandem

glenandem Member

[May 25, 2013]
    cheers pal, ive only seen it from underneath when i did the clutch and dmf but im gonna take engine cover off today and see what needs moving, hopefully wont be too bad!