***** RTR ***** (REPORT THE RATTLE)

Or this one ....... which I am 100% going to be showing them.....and also informing them if you dont put that clip on my car ....i will do it myself and send you the bill !!!!!

Or this one ....... which I am 100% going to be showing them.....and also informing them if you dont put that clip on my car ....i will do it myself and send you the bill !!!!!

Nice one Dave! Have you the part number? Can you obtain it persistence regrettably fail? Home or indy garage job? Hope your well.

Yep I the part number is somewhere in this thread i think .....or one of the other threads. looks simple enough to do at home ? .......problem is I am no mechanic and do not know the effects of the clip on the turbo wastegate .....BUT ......I will get the tech guy to comment on this vid when i go in next week.

Reactions: Louay
Sorry if this is silly suggestion as I don't have my s3 yet but is there any sound deadening material under bonnet ? If not is there any that could be added ? On the s1 there was none but you could get part from Audi to fit. This could help mask the noise .. is something available for the s3

Well just been to test drive a demo S3 and only needed 100 yards to determine that it has the same rattle.

Sorry if this is silly suggestion as I don't have my s3 yet but is there any sound deadening material under bonnet ? If not is there any that could be added ? On the s1 there was none but you could get part from Audi to fit. This could help mask the noise .. is something available for the s3
just looked and think part number
8V0863825 is the sound mat for under bonnet would this work on s3 and help with rattle noise ie stopping it being heard ?

Not sure whether to post here, or in the "master" thread, but...

Got the car back. Surprisingly enough the response is "it's normal".
Asked for a copy of the technical bulletin that states this, but it wasn't forthcoming.

I got the main summary of the TPI added to the Health check invoice.
I also had the LED headlight recall (rubber gromet - recall 94H9) done. See below.

20150519 182112

What's the led light recall ? Presumably New cars from factory are ok now ?

It's to do with either the wrong type or incorrectly fitted grommets that can result in moisture collecting in the headlights.
Presumably moisture could enter via the ventilation holes in the units.

EDIT: link to LED headlights recall thread

I've never specifically looked - but I can't say I've ever spotted any issues with them.

I'd imagine all new cars are sorted. Mine was built Dec 2013.

Last edited:
Thanks do you rate the led lights ? Better than xenon

I have the rattle, it's not that bad now 1000 miles in. To be perfectly honest I just have more important things to do in my life than worry about something which isn't going to cause a problem and is really a characteristic, albeit an unusual one. I can tell you right now there won't be a fix for this so there's no point in wasting all our efforts on it. Audi will never own up to it, just look at the 8J TT, Bose amp, window regs, parcel shelf... Aware of the problems and they were proper flaws in design and still never did a recall. Sorry to be a party pooper.

Well my May 2014 HB has been into Salisbury Audi today for an investigation they confirmed the noise but said a campaign says it's normal. Going to pick the car up in a bit. Will ask for further explanation and to make sure it's logged with Audi Germany.

Reactions: Jelhead
:sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos:

Calling all Audi folks .......

Many of us have now got the "Engine Rattle" fault on our A3/S3's ....you know ......the one that Audi confirms is there ....but wont actually do anything about it?!?! :notworking: :audibash:

We need to make some noise on the subject so the big wigs at Audi listen and take some action.

1. Take it to your garage and have the fault diagnosed (99% chance they will fob you off with "Its a characteristic of the car") or something similar.

2. Write a complaint email to Audi. To make this even easier....simply copy and paste the email below (Changing it to your personal details) and send it to:

AudiFinanceCustomerServices@vwfs.co.uk

Dear Sir/Madame

I recently found a fault on my car whereby something metal in the engine compartment rattles when accelerating between 1800-2200rpm. I took my Audi into my local Audi garage to have this checked and they have confirmed that yes there is a metal rattling noise coming from the engine…specifically the waste gate rod, but there is no fix for this issue.

I am extremely unhappy to get this response. I would expect this from other brands that do not have the premium price tag that Audi do. I expect top quality built cars and excellent after care.

I know other people that own the exact same car as me and they do not have the engine rattle so this cannot be a characteristic of the car else all builds would have it.

I would like to know what Audi intend to do about this issue.

My Car: Audi S3 Hatchback

Reg: KU15 ***

Kind Regards

David Northen

Maybe once they have a large stack of emails all complaining of the same fault ....it might give them the "Nudge" :eiertritt:.......they need to ...... DEAL WITH THE ISSUE!!!!! :whistle2:

:sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos:
I also seem to be experiencing this fault on my Audi S1 I will get my dealer to look at this and see what the outcome is.

Well following my letter of complaint to Audi UK, the Customer Relations Manager assigned to my complaint, rang me back and basically said what the dealership told me: he has spoken to the factory and can confirm its a 'characteristic' and no fix...

I have asked for a response to my letter of complaint in writing.

I had a call today from Audi Northampton, which i missed. Ive been chasing them since beginning of last week for an update. Will call then back tomorrow and see what they have to say. Im supposed to be taking mine in .....but Im starting to think whats the point?? They aint gona be able to fix it ....I think im better off going back to Emmanuel at UK head office and continuing the complaint there. Its going to get to dead lock ...... and will be interesting to see thier final response. I am going to push this as far as I see fit before it starts to annoy me more complaining than the actual rattle does.

Keep complaining folks !

Reactions: Madmo and Jassyo06
Mines got it, picked it up on Thursday last week and its got 400 miles on the clock.

As others say, its at mid RPM when tickling the throttle or holding it in the gears. It doesn't bother me too much and makes the car sound more rough and ready! I know it's an Audi and shouldn't be like this but I don't mind it..

I will make the garage guys aware whenever it goes in or when they call to see how i'm getting on with the car.

It won't stop me enjoying the car! :D

Took a trip to Skegness at the weekend ......... I definitely still enjoy the car :) Love it to bits ....... :-D

Reactions: Jassyo06, Brasso and Vins
So here is the official response to my complaint from Audi UK:

"Dear Mr xxxx

Further to our telephone conversation of 22 May regarding the noise you have experienced from your Audi S3 Sportback.

I am so pleased that the many positive aspects of this fantastic model led you to choose this car as your latest purchase, but I was sorry to hear of your concerns with the above.

As you are aware, I have investigated on your behalf and having done so, I can confirm that the rattling noise you are referring to is the waste gate flap and rods on the turbo charger starting to vibrate from exhaust gas pulsations. Replacement of these parts will not nullify the noise. The vibrations will also not cause any detrimental damage to your vehicle, either cosmetically, or mechanically.

As this is considered a characteristic of the vehicle, any work to rectify this is not currently warrantable.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us, allowing me the opportunity to respond. If you have any further questions regarding this or any other matter, please don’t hesitate to contact me on the details below.

Kind regards"

Reactions: Tom8VA3

"Dear Mr xxxx

Further to our telephone conversation of 22 May regarding the noise you have experienced from your Audi S3 Sportback.

I am so pleased that the many positive aspects of this fantastic model led you to choose this car as your latest purchase, but I was sorry to hear of your concerns with the above.

As you are aware, I have investigated on your behalf and having done so, I can confirm that the rattling noise you are referring to is the waste gate flap and rods on the turbo charger starting to vibrate from exhaust gas pulsations. Replacement of these parts will not nullify the noise. The vibrations will also not cause any detrimental damage to your vehicle, either cosmetically, or mechanically.

As this is considered a characteristic of the vehicle, any work to rectify this is not currently warrantable.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us, allowing me the opportunity to respond. If you have any further questions regarding this or any other matter, please don’t hesitate to contact me on the details below.

Kind regards"
Almost word for word the same BS I got !!

Hey David,l dont have this rattle yet my cars at 2k miles just now...go with it as far as you can,nothing ventured nothing gained.

If it was a feature of the car surely all S3's should do it and should do it from when the engine is first started not "n" miles later, as if they do it "n" miles later something must have worn to make it so? Or am I missing something?

Not that it will worry Audi one iota, but for me, instead of replacing my S3 with another in a year's time, it looks like I'll be returning to BMW, as this kind of "customer service" on a car costing 35K plus is just unacceptable IMO (it's actually unacceptable whatever the price of the car in all honesty).

Surely Audi should be getting the message now with the number of customers that have complained?

Reactions: lucas-suisse
I'd love it if someone without the rattle reported their disappointment and see that there response was

Reactions: dragon and lucas-suisse
So, by the wording of their letter they are ruling out a design modification?

Make of it what you will, but that's how I read it...

If it was a feature of the car surely all S3's should do it and should do it from when the engine is first started not "n" miles later, as if they do it "n" miles later something must have worn to make it so? Or am I missing something?

Not that it will worry Audi one iota, but for me, instead of replacing my S3 with another in a year's time, it looks like I'll be returning to BMW, as this kind of "customer service" on a car costing 35K plus is just unacceptable IMO (it's actually unacceptable whatever the price of the car in all honesty).

Surely Audi should be getting the message now with the number of customers that have complained?

To be honest, I don't think they give a ****!

*** UPDATE ***

Sorry its been a while peeps ......Audi went quiet on me. BUT ....they have been busy looking into the fault. I have now been told that Audi UK have edited their response (TPI) to:

The noise is normal and resonates through the exhaust system. It does not affect the running of the car and no fix is required.

(Or something like that)

Apparently they have had a recent burst of complaints on the subject!! :readit: ...not sure why that could be ....:whistle2:

So my local Audi garage have been clocking up a large amount of miles on the Grey S3 that they intend to loan me for a day and have made the statement that after clocking up a number of miles on the car the noise seems to have almost gone?!??!?!?!! :wtf: The manager told me that this grey S3 was seriously bad previously and has 100% improved since they ran it in more. It has just over 3000 miles on it ...(Same as mine).

They have asked me to send them links to the videos in this thread on the clip ..etc ...and then after review of that they are going to take my car to hear it from cold and I will have the grey S3 and see what I think of the noise on that one.

So ...the saga continues ............:s3addict::redrs4:

At least they have taken it seriously enough to warrant spending time looking into yours and others.

Having done a few more miles in mine and recently had a oil change / check up i think the noise is a lot less noticable. It is now on close to 16k miles..whether this has helped or not i have no idea. All i can say is i am happy now and it has been recorded that there was a noise so if something were to go wrong with it down the line there is/should be cover for it.

I am anxious to see out my next service then i will start to modify. Change of downpipe 1st to see if that will actually help as previous noted by others... i digress.. sorry.

Well i just hope Audi have taken this seriously and are improving future releases of this engine.

Good on you for taking it far and time and effort you have put in. What makes this a great forum to be part of. ;-)

Reactions: David83S3
*** UPDATE ***
So my local Audi garage have been clocking up a large amount of miles on the Grey S3 that they intend to loan me for a day and have made the statement that after clocking up a number of miles on the car the noise seems to have almost gone?!??!?!?!! :wtf: The manager told me that this grey S3 was seriously bad previously and has 100% improved since they ran it in more. It has just over 3000 miles on it ...(Same as mine).

Well mine has done 6500 and it's as loud as ever!

Good work tho...

Keep complaining people. I don't know if any of your just saw watchdog on BBC1 but the outcome for those with 2009-2011 2.0 tfsi oil issues seemed to have a good result.

I have just sent email to Audi UK highlighting issue using Davids letter as temple. Please see below. Feel free adapt and forward to Audi UK. The more complaints the better. I also CC'd this letter to Audi UK MD.

Dear Sir/Madame,

I recently found a fault on my car whereby something metal in the engine compartment rattles when accelerating between 1800-2200rpm. I took my Audi into my local Audi garage to have this checked and they have confirmed that yes there is a metal rattling noise coming from the engine, specifically, the waste gate, and turbo charger but there is no fix for this issue. This was confirmed by two technicians on separate occasions.

I am extremely unhappy to get this response and am becoming more and more irritated by this constant rattle. I would expect this from other brands that do not have the premium price tag that Audi do. I expect top quality built cars and excellent after care.

I know other people that own the exact same car as me and they do not have the engine rattle so this cannot be a characteristic (quoted by Audi workshop) of the car else all builds would have it. Upon researching this problem online it seems many other people are suffering from a problem very similar to mine on there 1.8 TFSI and their 2.0 TFSI.

I would like to know what Audi intend to do about this issue and look forward to an email response at the earliest opportunity.

If further information is required with reference to this engine noise then please do not hesitate to contact myself for a more in depth description and Audi job reports numbers etc.

In addition to the above I am also concerned this problem may lead to premature degregation or failure of other engine components.

My Car: Audi A3 Sportback. 1.8 TFSI quattro. 2000 miles driven from new.

Reg: HK64

Kind Regards

Thomas

"Dear Mr xxxx

Kind regards"
So does this email mean...
'We understand your concern, we know about the rattling noise, it won't damage your car and you will just have to deal with the rattling noise until you decide to get another car'
That is totally unacceptable and is the answer I'm expecting to hear back soon.
What else can you do? What is your next course of action?

I think we are making some noise within Audi now and we should KEEP COMPLAINING!!! I am not going to let it go ....I shall continue to jump through their hoops of "Test this ...test that" ....but I know this will get to "So I still have the noise and you still advise no fix!"

I am going to create a poll to understand who would be willing to join a mass complaint

Reactions: Louay and Tom8VA3
I think we are making some noise within Audi now and we should KEEP COMPLAINING!!! I am not going to let it go ....I shall continue to jump through their hoops of "Test this ...test that" ....but I know this will get to "So I still have the noise and you still advise no fix!"

I am going to create a poll to understand who would be willing to join a mass complaint

I would be willing...

So does this email mean...
'We understand your concern, we know about the rattling noise, it won't damage your car and you will just have to deal with the rattling noise until you decide to get another car'
That is totally unacceptable and is the answer I'm expecting to hear back soon.
What else can you do? What is your next course of action?

Basically Tom, yes, that what it means. Not sure what else I can do other than support any further action as per David's post above

you have my vote in support of an official complaint in appreciation of all your hard work. where's the poll?