RSQ3 RSQ3 v S3

Scottishpedro

Reaction score
hi all

I'm considering either an RSQ3 or an 8V S3 for my next car. I'd likely be buying something about 3 years old with approx 20-30k miles. I know the performance is similar for both, the s3 will handle better and the RSQ3 just sounds so sweet.

Can anyway tell me what to expect from running costs and if there is much difference between the two in terms of service costs, cost to replace clutch, brakes etc?

Also, how does the double clutch auto box compare to manual in the s3? Is the life expectancy of clutch on auto s3 and rsq3 decent and is it hideously expensive to replace if required?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Pedro

Having just spent over a year with an RS Q3 Performance, the choice of an RS Q3 (with the gorgeous 5-pot) vs the S3 is a no brainer imho. The 5-pot wins every time :rockwoot:

Reactions: RSS-S3 and RSTHRILLER
I had a 2014 S3 for about a 18 months before trading it for a 2015 RSQ3 Facelift (340bhp). Both were with the S-Tronic box, so I can't comment on manual in the S3, except to say that the S-Tronic version was quicker (the RSQ3 only comes in S-Tronic form anyway).

Running costs - pretty similar in all honesty, although I probably would have got a few more thousand miles out of the S3 tyres than the RSQ3, the RSQ3 being the heavier car. If you are looking at a pre-FL car, then performance of the RSQ3 would be slightly less, having the 310bhp engine. With the S-Tronic's you have to have the oil replaced around the 30k mark (can't remember the exact mileage) but they are a pretty bulletproof box in all honesty. And fun! Brakes - the RSQ3 will be more expensive to have done as it has 8 pot calipers on the front with 2 sets of brake pads each caliper. And yes they do stop you (better than the S3 I think)

If you are into technology, then you will find the RSQ3 one step behind the S3 - dash is very similar to the A1 in layout and how things work, with Audi Connect, you get more options on the S3 than the RSQ3.

Regards handling - for sure the S3 is a bit firmer, the RSQ3 rolls a bit more, but for the road, both handle well enough for normal spirited driving.

Which do I prefer? Without a doubt the RSQ3. That 5-pot is just a dream, a wolf in sheeps clothing. Around town, its nice and sweet, but put you pedal to the metal and you can get wheelspin at 30mph no worries as its digs in and goes off like a scalded cat. The RSQ is also so much more comfortable than the S3 IMO. Many people slate the RSQ3 as it only has one pipe out the back, well, their loss, they are missing out on one terrific motor.

I'll be keeping my RSQ3 for a while. It still puts a big grin on my face which the S3 stopped doing after the first year.

Whichever you decided though, if there is one option you DO want its the LED light pack. On the S3, also make sure you get lumbar support. If you like Sat Nav, then the HDD Sat Nav is a must rather than the SD.

Reactions: paul wev
I had a 2014 S3 for about a 18 months before trading it for a 2015 RSQ3 Facelift (340bhp). Both were with the S-Tronic box, so I can't comment on manual in the S3, except to say that the S-Tronic version was quicker (the RSQ3 only comes in S-Tronic form anyway).

Running costs - pretty similar in all honesty, although I probably would have got a few more thousand miles out of the S3 tyres than the RSQ3, the RSQ3 being the heavier car. If you are looking at a pre-FL car, then performance of the RSQ3 would be slightly less, having the 310bhp engine. With the S-Tronic's you have to have the oil replaced around the 30k mark (can't remember the exact mileage) but they are a pretty bulletproof box in all honesty. And fun! Brakes - the RSQ3 will be more expensive to have done as it has 8 pot calipers on the front with 2 sets of brake pads each caliper. And yes they do stop you (better than the S3 I think)

If you are into technology, then you will find the RSQ3 one step behind the S3 - dash is very similar to the A1 in layout and how things work, with Audi Connect, you get more options on the S3 than the RSQ3.

Regards handling - for sure the S3 is a bit firmer, the RSQ3 rolls a bit more, but for the road, both handle well enough for normal spirited driving.

Which do I prefer? Without a doubt the RSQ3. That 5-pot is just a dream, a wolf in sheeps clothing. Around town, its nice and sweet, but put you pedal to the metal and you can get wheelspin at 30mph no worries as its digs in and goes off like a scalded cat. The RSQ is also so much more comfortable than the S3 IMO. Many people slate the RSQ3 as it only has one pipe out the back, well, their loss, they are missing out on one terrific motor.

I'll be keeping my RSQ3 for a while. It still puts a big grin on my face which the S3 stopped doing after the first year.

Whichever you decided though, if there is one option you DO want its the LED light pack. On the S3, also make sure you get lumbar support. If you like Sat Nav, then the HDD Sat Nav is a must rather than the SD.

Thanks for the very detailed reply, all good information. I guess I should have a drive of both and see. I know the s3 would be a seriously capable car but may be less exciting to own the rsq3. Either way I'd look to get the auto if I was getting the s3.

I know that remapping the cars would put extra strain on the clutch. Do you think the auto box could handle a stage 1 map? Reason I ask is I put the question to TDI tuning who said their tuning boxes are designed to operate within stock mechanical limit of the cars but having read around I'm not sure.

Can't comment on the RSQ3 as haven't fitted a tuning box - 340bhp is enough for me thanks! - however i know a few on the S3 section of this forum have fitted DTUK boxes and Pedal boxes to their 2014-> S3's and are realising circa 360bhp. Having said that a few with remaps have given it too many beans and things like the turbo has expired, so I think it depends what you tune an S3 with. You need to ask the question of Jungle650 on the S3 section who has tuned his S3.

Having said about not tuning the RSQ3 - to be perfectly honest the performance gain from any tuning is not great - I did look recently about putting a tuning box on mine, to take it up to around the 390bhp mark, but it only took 0.1 secs off the 0-60 - so really not worth the outlay. Also I know that Audi made some big changes to the 310bhp engine fitted to the pre-FL model to get 340bhp, and a few further changes to get to 370bhp. But as I said, given its a pussycat around town, but drop into sport and dynamic and boot it and it snarls, then really I've no need to add any more ponies, as I think it could possibly ruin what is a very good car, even if it is underrated by many (as they don't like the single exhaust - well their loss for not trying one!)

Reactions: pauly69
Can't comment on the RSQ3 as haven't fitted a tuning box - 340bhp is enough for me thanks! - however i know a few on the S3 section of this forum have fitted DTUK boxes and Pedal boxes to their 2014-> S3's and are realising circa 360bhp. Having said that a few with remaps have given it too many beans and things like the turbo has expired, so I think it depends what you tune an S3 with. You need to ask the question of Jungle650 on the S3 section who has tuned his S3.

Having said about not tuning the RSQ3 - to be perfectly honest the performance gain from any tuning is not great - I did look recently about putting a tuning box on mine, to take it up to around the 390bhp mark, but it only took 0.1 secs off the 0-60 - so really not worth the outlay. Also I know that Audi made some big changes to the 310bhp engine fitted to the pre-FL model to get 340bhp, and a few further changes to get to 370bhp. But as I said, given its a pussycat around town, but drop into sport and dynamic and boot it and it snarls, then really I've no need to add any more ponies, as I think it could possibly ruin what is a very good car, even if it is underrated by many (as they don't like the single exhaust - well their loss for not trying one!)

My budget would probably only let me get the pre fl model and a little more power might be good but I'd probably be too concerned about breaking something with the extra power! My old 8p s3 was mapped by the previous owner to 300bhp and I had to replace the clutch around 15k miles after remap. This may have been a coincidence but probably not. The s3 was great to drive but had a complete lack of exhuast note. There is an rsq3 local to me which always sounds amazing when it drives past!

Thread revival ......
What one of the cars did you go for or havent you decided yet ?

5 CYLINDER ALL DAY EVERY DAY NUFF SAID

Reactions: RSS-S3