Rsap, Android and MMI Cable

scrofts007

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,
I've looked on here and across the t'internet, but can't seem find any definitive answers.

I had my first A3 in Sept but the cables that came were female USB and plain black iphone. When I plugged those in, I couldn't access any album art etc. with the Iphone, and no media connection at all (except via bluetooth) with my Samsung Galaxy S3.

I got a replacement earlier this month and got the red collared Iphone cable, and a micro-usb too.

If I plug in the Iphone, I can get all the music etc., plus album art and it looks ok (not actually used it as the phone wasn't mine), if however I try and connect the samsung, I get a "no playable media on this device" (or something very similar) error - and that's true if I connect using the media or camera settings from the phone.

Only things I could find out from the web is that the connection needs to be Rsap, and that would involve rooting the samsung phone to get it working?

I have the Sat-nav, SD card based but not phone box, connect or anything other mods to the Audi MMI.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to connect my Samsung via a cable to the MMI, or will I need to rely on bluetooth (which I find poor quality and prone to errors, and of course I shouldn't be handling the phone in the car!).

Any help gratefully received!

Stu

RSAP is nothing to do with media playback, don't worry about that. That's to do with the telephony functions.

However, I suspect what you do need is the USB mass storage mode on your phone, may also involve root.

Thanks cemerson - that was my impression, that I would have to root the phone.

But I'm not sure how that would help?

I suppose MMI navigation plus is not an easy retrofit option?

If I bin the Galaxy, and refuse to have the ghost of Steve Jobs control my life (ie Apple!), what phone would be best suited?

Thanks for help so far!
Stu

It's just a suspicion, but I think the car wants the USB Mass Storage mode, the MTP or Camera protocols probably aren't supported. Why not just use an SD card?

It was just case of not having to keep an SD card up to date as tastes and moods change etc. - I'm more inclined to change the music on the phone from time to time and update playlists etc., whereas with an SD card it'd just be stuck in the glovebox and forgotten about.

Hard wired phone would be perfect, but guess that's 10 months away, but might be able to do a swap if there's something that would work better, other than an Apple.

I guess someone needs to write an app to imitate a USB storage device!

Stu.

They exist, but will only work on a rooted device. To be honest I root every handset I get anyway - no reason not to. I'd rather have more ownership over the devices that I pay for!

The car comes with one built in! I don't see how taking an SD card out of the car to update is any different to taking an MP3 player out the car to update personally. I have a folder on my computer that mirrors my SD card, I put new things in there, tag them, add the album art, then every now and then I bring the SD card in and copy the whole lot across (Windows can skip the files that haven't changed) - easy!

I've got a 64gb SD card to use in my new Audi, thus I agree with you. I was using a memory stick in my Ford, because it had a usb socket. I just transferred across all my music to the SD card. USB card readers can be had for about a quid, we use them all the time for photos at school..

You'll be surprised how well the quality is like on the new BT tech these days. I know where your coming from because I was like that. Give it a go and see if you actually hear the difference. Its lnot like using those crappy radio connection with your HIFI. Its evolved!

I know, I'm not bothered playing from Bluetooth at all, but it's a concern for some.