Rs6 p0597 code help

kilojade

Reaction score
Guys I Have been getting this fault code for a while now on my 2014 rs6 done 22k miles sometimes the mil light will come on when I plug my little code reader in it shows p0597. Even when the mil light isn't on the code will still be there. The car runs fine.

The code is this but was wondering if anyone else has had same problem? If so what was the fix?

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0597

I would suspect that the fault code relates to the electronically controlled thermostat that is used on a lot of engines these days. I would get it checked with VCDS and get it off to a good indie to sort.
The thermostat looks similar to this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-S7-4...t-With-Housing-079121115BD-2013-/122001205205

It may of course be a connector / wire issue or something else completely. These are very complex engines. It may not be presenting any obvious issue but the coolant temperature isn't controlled correctly when these fail. They usually run hotter. however with the way VAG map the temperature gauges the engines always seem to be at 90 when in fact they are usually anything between 75 and 100 degrees.
If it is this at least it doesn't look to be a stupid price and not that difficult to change. Unusual on an RS6.

Attachments

• rs6 crdb thermostat.pdf
    157.2 KB · Views: 869
Many thanks for the info mate much appreciated!

I have booked it in to a good mechanic see if he can fix this for me. I am happy it's a easy job as when I googled it the c5 rs6 it's a timing belt 8 hour job apparently witch would be big bucks! So happy it's not within the timing belt!

I spoke to Rick at unicorn as we have also had a different fault code every now and then p0175 witch means it's over fuelling.... and sometimes car doesn't start just fires up and cuts out and I can smell fuel 3rd attempt it will fire up fine this has only happened 3x in 2 weeks. 1 common cause for this fault is:

A sensor - like a temp sensor - giving incorrect reading. I.e. telling ECU engine is working at -40C so it fuel for -40C and not the much warmer temp it actually is.

Witch makes us thing the second code we getting is due the 1st code p0597 if that makes sense? What's your thoughts mate?

Quite probably as you say that over fuelling is related to some other issue.Because of the non start excess fuel has accumulated in the exhausts .
You need to resolve the first issue and go from there. If it's something like wiring that has got a bit fried due to heat this may also be the cause of the second issue. These cars are just so complex.
TBH I would see what fault code is generated when it's connected up via VCDS. Sometimes these generic code readers can give you duff info.
The code I would expect for a thermostat issue would be more like
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17700/P1292/004754

Emm thanks mate. I will 1st look for the fuse just in case it's just a fuse would save me some ££

U don't no where the fuse would be for this by any chance do u?

Thanks again

There is unlikely to be a seperate fuse for that, It will be connected directly to the ECU .

Ar ok mate hopefully it's a easy fix. Will try find the thermostat and make sure the plug is ok 1st just incase its hanging out... just can't see it being the thermostat it's self being a newish car.

There is unlikely to be a seperate fuse for that, It will be connected directly to the ECU .

Hi mate. Just an update summit doesn't sound right!

Car been in Audi for 2 days now while they trying to find the fault. Got a call just a few mins ago saying they have ordered the parts and will be ready Tuesday. I asked can I come get car now and drop it back off Monday. They said no it's dangerous to drive so they can't let me take it. Even though it's been like that for months. They said it's the fuel pump. And that fuel is getting into the oil! Not sure if that's even possible? They didn't mention the thermostat fault but maybe they fixed that 1 already or when they said parts' been orderd may mean a new thermostat as well!

Update

Needed new fuel pump. Water pump and thermostat all done under warranty and oil change Didn't question the full miltek or remap so very pleased

Reactions: desertstorm
That's a good result. Although a little worrying that so many things have apparently failed at such a low mileage / age.