RS4 RNS E 2011 upgrade DIS not working

OzMaq

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just upgraded the current RNS E system installed in my B7 2007 RS4 to a later RNS E 2011 model. Physical installation was simpler than I expected as it was merely plug and play. I have the factory fitted CD changer and Bose setup. Everything works perfectly but the only problem I've encountered is that the navigation/cd/radio information no longer appears on the DIS. The top portion of the DIS is constantly blank. Is there something I've missed? Does the car need coding in order to communicate with the new RNS E unit? Does the unit need to be reset? Any help would be very much appreciated. Willing to pay any helpful soul to fix the problem. Was also looking to have Bluetooth installed into the car as well, so any recommendations for installers would be useful.

Cheers
Oz

As they never made an A4 unit in the 2010 RNS-E it's probably an A3 unit with an A4 faceplate and still coded for A3 which explains the lack of DIS, probably doesn't turn on and off properly either. Get it coded for A4 and it solve all your problems.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the helpful response.

Any idea what I need to change coding wise or know anybody who could help? I've used VCDS before when I owned a Golf GTi MK5 and a Micro CAN cable. If I can't find anyone to help, I guess I need to invest in a Hex CAN cable and code it myself. Any useful pointers?

Thanks again!

Whereabouts are you located, as helps us to advise you :)

Well you're in luck mate, because Nigel (NHN) can sort out your coding issue on your unit AND sell you a genuine VCDS interface lead :icon_thumright:

Excellent! I've already contacted Nigel for a VCDS cable. Hopefully he'll be able to help with the RNS E coding.

Great! He must be quite busy at the mo as I haven't received a response! Hopefully he'll be able to help.

Great! He must be quite busy at the mo as I haven't received a response! Hopefully he'll be able to help.

Sorry for delay mate, will ping invoice over shortly, just dealing with some technical things, namely my daughter wanting to feed toys into a vcr of my outlaws, amongst other technical duties you understand, lol.

TBF Craig IMHO was right in 1st instance, coding for A3 should fix it, but other coding options will no doubt be required, email to follow :)

Cheers, Nigel.

I completely understand the kids issue. My daughter is constantly attempting to feed my Xbox with crackers. Ah well, at least she gets more use out of it than I do these days! Lol

Hi QzMaq!
Did you managed to fix your problem? I have the same issue with a mk2 rnse from a A3 fittetd on a A4.
Can you tell me what coding is required?
The unit was previously fitted and coded on a A3 and swapped the faceplates to fit the A4.

Thank you!

Hi buddy,

It was really easy in the end. Just needed to recode the unit via VCDS. I've got a web link somewhere. You'll have to buy or borrow a VCDS cable to do the necessary. Send me a PM and I'll send you the link with the necessary coding information. Just have to change one bit and that's it.

Oz

Make sure the rns is enabled on the bus in instruments adaptation channel & rns coding is for A4 as stated already on this thread.