RS4 Engine start button on S3

klik

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have pics of engine start button from RS4 installed on A3. However the description was in German. Does anyone know whether this is possible on S3? Not sure if I am allowed to post photos that were saved from another website.

thnx,

klik

Hi,

Can you post a link? Thanks!

There was another link that I cannot find but have saved the spare parts required as well as the wiring diagram. Can I post here?

thnx

parts required:

drucktaster start anlage ( 8E0905217 ): 46,45 euro
ablage mittelkonsole ( 8E0863284E 5pr ):41,85 euro

There was a crowd on ebay a while back selling similar devices - I think they were called demon tweeks or something similar.

Only a cheap job - they were selling them 3 for 2. You had to turn the key to the accessory position then press the button.

Would be interested in fitting the genuine one though.

The part number for it is 8E0 905 217 and it is €45+VAT.
06.audi.rs4.det.start.500.jpg

DSC03600.JPG

Threadjack: does anyone's knob glow like this? I like it, but mine doesnt seem to glow.

(please excuse the ****-esque question)

parts required:

drucktaster start anlage ( 8E0905217 ): 46,45 euro
ablage mittelkonsole ( 8E0863284E 5pr ):41,85 euro

the "drucktaster start anlage" is listed as "pushbutton for start system".
see circled part:
RS4Starter001.jpg

the "ablage mittelkonsole" is listed in ETKA as "compartment for centre console with cigarette lighter and switch mounting (soul black)"

see circled part:
RS4Starter002.jpg

Would it be plug&play? Other than the 2 mentioned parts, what else is required?

Would it be plug&play? Other than the 2 mentioned parts, what else is required?

Not sure yet.

The dude seems to have some sort of Audi DIY site - view it in english here - but all the links are dead.

Looks like he's done some cool stuff
  • S3 Illuminated Gear Lever
  • Fitting TT parts
  • Fitting TT air vents
  • S6 LEDS
  • S6 door handles

A start button could be nice, but for me the main advantage of a start button (apart from the bling bling I am a Ferrari factor) would be that you no longer have a key sticking out of the steering column. I don't know about you guys (&girls?), but my key ends where my knee begins and I am very aware that if I am ever in a collision that will be the end of my knee. Adding a start button won't change that...

I agree that it is more a cosmetic change rather than practical. Specially if you want to get rid of the ugly protruding lighter.

running that through a google translator suggests the "zundanlassschalter" is some sort of door switch - perhaps a "gate switch".

battery is obvious.

motorstarttaster means engine start switch - presumably "ignition"

Anlasser means "starters" - starter motor?

does it mention a loom or how to fit part a to part b?

The motorstarttaster in that diagram is the start button itself. The switch to it's left, with 3 positions and 2 sets of contacts, is the key switch.

They're very simple to wire in, but the location would be an issue as you'd have to strip the centre column.

the red ring on the gear stick is pretty fly. Had a starter button and they arent all they are cracked be. Was cool at first.

the red ring on the gear stick is pretty fly. Had a starter button and they arent all they are cracked be. Was cool at first.

Is that not just the glow from the red LEDs from the interior light pack? Judging by the angle, also the band of light isn't a continuous thickness and also the spot of light in the centre of the knob looks to be from that.

I dont think so Staz no... its the same depth as the starter button and the climate console...

in fact, no... it is a mod. The instructions are on the site.

I dont think so Staz no... its the same depth as the starter button and the climate console...

in fact, no... it is a mod. The instructions are on the site.

Ah ok. Not my thing really.

what?? You dont want a red ring??

:jester:

oh wait... theres more... a red ring round your nob..

:ermm:

Whats wrong with a key ?

I have never got this starter button thing, but each to their own. :)

I can understand the desire because it is pretty cool but I wouldn't ever bother going to the trouble of fitting it myself.

I think having to depress the clutch to start is cool though. It makes it more of an event, especially coupled with the sweeping needles! If only it didn't tell you on the DIS though, it'd serve as a kind of immobliser. I can't imagine there are many people who know about it. I mean even the Audi salesmen are clueless about their cars.

Kontraband said:
BWHAHAHHAHAHAH!!

That's rather manic for this time of the morning!! lol

By the way, happy St George's day everyone.

The motorstarttaster in that diagram is the start button itself. The switch to it's left, with 3 positions and 2 sets of contacts, is the key switch.

They're very simple to wire in, but the location would be an issue as you'd have to strip the centre column.
Wouldn't mind seeing some more detail on how to wire it in - i.e. which wire you connect it to and what additional connectors are needed.

Anybody have any ideas?

Basically you need to find the ignition loom. Find the main positive and the starter wires and put a switch in between them. But of course that loom won't be simple to find otherwise any car thief could do it. Also Audis have built in immoblisers but I don't know what sort they are or how they affect the above circuit. The diagram is a very basic ignition/starter system and doesn't show any immobliser.

Whats wrong with a key ?

I have never got this starter button thing, but each to their own. :)

Agreed , i wouldn't mind if it was 100% hands free , but you still have to put the key in!:think:

It's a lot of messing about if it doesn't come std!

As said each to there own!:thumbsup:

p

Me neither, but if you fit the starter button you'll still need the key.

J.

You'd stop using it eventually I think.

Put the key in, turn it one position, look down and press a button.

Or

Put the key in and turn it.

Even systems like the clifford remote start need the key in before you can actually drive it because of the immobliser.

The DIS is still red, perhaps it's just a cosmetic change he was looking for, maybe the chrome trim around the dials?

What are those illuminated buttons on the console? Next to the ESP switch?

I seem to remember Madalex saying he had done some "S3 illuminated button mods" and was going to post pics but i never saw them.

What are those illuminated buttons on the console? Next to the ESP switch?

I seem to remember Madalex saying he had done some "S3 illuminated button mods" and was going to post pics but i never saw them.

yup,... thats what they are... are you gonna get some... cause I'd need to know. ;)