RS4 22mm Rear Anti Roll Bar Fitted!!

• Thread starter imported_bubstar
  • Start date

It won't affect comfort at all......

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Guys you must do this mod. for the money its is superb. I have really been testing the car to the limit recently and I cannot believe how much sharper and precise the car is.

Excellent mod.

Nice one Plat' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

OT , how are you finding the new snub mount?

BUB

Haven't had a chance to properly drive the car yet. Will let you know.

I did also fit the 100mm Milltek tailpipes - look a lot better than 90mm.

I'd post a pic if I knew how to.

Cool.

You need to link it over from a hosting site like Photo Bucket.

BUB

I just ordered the parts from VAGparts.com as well as some other interior trim parts and they were saying they were thinking of putting up their prices for the ARB stuff as it's so cheap and they are selling so many.

I got them for £78 all-in, incl delivery.

It will be around 10 days before I get them though :-( and then I'll have to find time to fit the bar. Has anyone done the job on a set of ramps (the blue ones you get from Halfords) as I would like to know if it's going to be easier trying to get my local garage to do the job if it's not advisable on the blue ramps.

Thanks
John

John did you get the numbers the wrong was round as I paid £87 from vagparts?

The Audizine fitting guide that Bub put the link to uses ramps so I think you should be fine. I expect mine to come tomorrow and will use ramps to fit. Looking forward to it as everyone is raving how good it is! I'm expecting big things!

re : ramps

I bought the blue Halfords ones, the ****** things just leapt away when I tried to reverse on to them. I tried to hammer nails into the drive to try to keep them stationary. In the end I used my trolley jack and jacked them on. Also I found the tyres were over both sides ....

Once on they were useful and I did drive off them ok.

I paid less than £66 for my set including new bushes and bolts which I don't think you really need.

£66 is a good price! The vagparts price includes £15 + vat postage though. I agree that the new bolts are probably overkill on such new cars but they don't cost a lot so I thought I may as well get them.

So heavyoil - how did you find the ARB - good improvement?

Simon,

I just cut & pasted the info at the top of this topic into an order and sent it off to them. Did you use these part numbers? What was wrong on your order?

RS4 'DRC' 22mm Rear Anti Roll Bar -- 8E0511409AM
Bushes -------------------------------------- 8E0511327B (X2)
Bolts for Brackets ------------------------- N10127706 (X4)
Bolts for ARB links ------------------------ N10528101 (X2)

Thanks for the info on the ramps. At least I know I'll be OK getting the job done with my basic setup.

John

I went for 8E0511409AJ not M
J=20mm, M=22mm

Simon,
Its been on for 2 weeks and over 1300 miles, including "rapid progress" on the A74, A85 and A82. You might be familiar with them ?

Any how, normal, straight line stuff, not much change. As soon as the steering wheel is turned I found the delay between the back following the front was significantly reduced.

This was most pronounced on multiple chicanes, like the ones around Loch Lomond on the A82 or just south of Crianlarich on the A85. Understeer is kept back so much that it *is* possible to have the tail hangout. A bit of gas brings the whole show under control. It was dry at the time. I'll need to be more careful in the wet. For me the 22mm will be too much I think.

My avant is on standard SE suspension, 17" five spoke audi wheels with 245/45 ZR17 Pirelli Rossos which I find very good in the wet and dry with progressive breakaway when the lint is breached.

John - I just cut and pasted the numbers into an email too!! So not sure why there is a difference in price! I noticed someone quoted the same price as me on Tyresmoke - so maybe you just got a good deal !

Heavyoil - I'm familiar with all these roads! Crianlarich mainly on the bike though ;-)

Glad to hear someone else is happy with the uprated ARB. Mine is the sport suspension so the 22mm should be fine.

im wanting to get the 20mm bar, are all the other part numbers the same? ie the bolts/bushes and brackets

Kenny

S4 20mm Rear Anti Roll Bar -- 8E0511409AJ
Bushes -------------------------------------- 8E0511327A (X2)
Bolts for Brackets ------------------------- N10127706 (X4)
Bolts for ARB links ------------------------ N10528101 (X2)

Thats what I went for.

On hindsight, I would've just bought the bar. The rest of the bits are definitely reusable.

I'm looking at changing my S4 one for a RS4 one.

What sort of money would any of you be willing to offer for my current one?

Fitted the 22mm rear ARB today and what a difference! Steering is sharper with better feedback and the car corners flatter with less body roll. Feels planted. Very happy!!

If you haven't done this yet you should !!

I totally agree. I am amazed at the difference - although you can get carried away with it!

I have found the back can 'hop' a bit in certain situations but a great mod.

ordered mine today after reading this thread,£88 delivered.i get my new springs and shocks on thurs so cant wait to transform my soft wobbly SE.

james,
which dampers & springs did you go for ?

I've had the same setup as you, standard SE.

Now I have the 20mm arb and bilstein b4 dampers and system 2 springs to go on.

I'm deciding whether to do it myself or let the local spanner man sort it.

Any body know the difficulty of the job ? I have changed the suspension on my last 2 golfs.

i ended up choosing eibach springs and weitec dampers,ordered them from C+R in nottingham 4 weeks ago and they still havent arrived.if they are not here soon im going to cancel them and get some others from someone else.

forgot to say,do it yourself and save the cash.it cant be that hard.

yep, I'm going to have a go. Still got the spring compressors and a chopped up sparkplug socket for undoing the top nut of the front struts.

I went for EIbach B4 + System2 springs from proven products, they gave me a good deal and delivered in good time.

[ QUOTE ]
forgot to say,do it yourself and save the cash.it cant be that hard.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was wrong,it was a right pain in the a**e to do.The pinch bolts on the front took over a day on their own to get out,if i was you i would buy new bolts from audi before you start and then you can saw the old bolts and bang them out with a BIG hammer.Its all done now Koni SSK suspension kit and RS4 anti roll bar.I havent drove it yet but i will let you know how impressed i am when i do later.SE set up is cr*p.

does anyone know if you can order the ARB from vagparts online? cant really get to a phone during the day at work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Send them an email. I know they're busy at the moment so it's probably easier for them. Also give them a couple of days to respond currently.

I ordered mine via email, just put FAO Martyn on the Re: section, he replied within a day and I paid via paypal, it arrived within a week.

Aah, this is the thread...

I have my A4 V6 Avant quattro Sport, could do with a bit less understeer to be perfectly honest.

With my old S2, I had that on H&R/Konis, and then uprated the ARBs to RS2 front and an adjustable Whiteline ARB at the back. The difference that putting the Whiteline on the back made to the handling was unbelievable - it wasn't any body roll issues (the car was flat as a pancake as it was) but intial turn in understeer was significantly reduced, and a lovely controllable rear end drift became available... Made it a joy to drive.

Just to check then, my Sport has an 18mm RARB? I'll give the guys at VAGParts a call, haven't spoken to them for a while! S4, or RS4 bar now, what's the verdict?!

I've had my B7 RS 4 rear stabilizer bar on for about 4k miles and absolutely love it. It's paired up with my OEM front sport bar. I've been told the OEM S4 and RS 4 front stabilizer bars are the same ones so I might upgrade the front to that one later. I have noticed a couple of times that the rear will come out behind you when you push it in the curves, but that was also with Nokian snow tires!

Hi all i have an 2002 2.4 se avant are the part the same and does any one have any info how fix

thanks

paz

Just to revive this thread, took my Audi for service today, they said the bushes are worn on rear anti roll bar.
Mine is a sport avant so can I just change to RS4 then.
Also said the temp send was sending out an error code, so bought a new one, weird thing is not noticed any problem with temp guage, hope they havn't conned me.

You will have to give them a call. Latest part numbers available on the A4 forum on tyresmoke, you'll have to go through a few pages, I think it's on about page 15 at the moment.

this sounds like a good mod, i Have 235/40/18's on but they are a budget tyre that came with the replica alloys. When it is dry they are brilliant but when it is wet the front seems to drift out it is very controllable but not what i a m looking for. Would replacing the rear 18mm (130 sport 2wd) with a 22mm bar help?

Ordered a 22mm RS4 ARB from Vagparts. Cannot wait to get fitted to my A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport Avant....

Looking forward to a lot less role on motorway exits, etc.

Totally agree,

Just fitted mine this morning, although a tip for ya. Make sure you spray penetrating fluid on all the bolts, then have a cuppa while it does it's stuff.

Even being very gentle, one of the ARB bracket bolts sheared, & was a real pig to remove. Required copious amounts of heat to break it free.

Definately makes the car feel "Tighter" & more precise.

For the hell of it, I fitted a tuning box to ours as well. I know, I know, all the die hards will say they dont work very well, but I needed it to be removeable, & undetectable, which an ECU tune isn't. I must say it has given it a big dollop of torque, removed the >1500rpm flat spot, mid range gears have much more oomph about them & hopefully will get better economy from it as well, but I will let you know in a couple of real world driving weeks.

As for the ARB, just do it already, but down to pricing, check your vag dealer as surprisingly they beat Vagparts by quite a way!!

Current part no's listed below

8E0 511 409AL x1 RS4 'DRC' 22mm Rear Anti Roll Bar
8E0 511 327D x2 Bushes
N 101 277 07 x4 Bolts for Brackets
N 105 281 01 x2 Bolts for ARB links
8E0 511 439 x2 Pipe clips for arb

Later peeps

Shane, (York)

I got mine from VAGParts, was less than £60 all in with all the ancillary parts. Great mod - the car should have left the factory with this set-up IMHO. As noted by all above, quicker turn in, less understeer, bit of that old-fashioned quattro drift on full beans out of bends. Very controllable, lovely.

Hey all,
Just got my 2002 TDI 130 Avant SE and am currently uprating the suspension. More for looks than outright handling, although it does appear to be very "wallowy" over bumps.
Just to mention than Im fitting 35mm H&R lowering springs from ebay. Thought that while Im taking off the springs, might as well do the shockers too. Just thought Id let you all know, that Euro Car Parts are quoting me about £35 per corner for slightly uprated Bilsteins! I thought this was a fantastic price.

Ill do the full before and after pics thing when Im lowering it, and post a full review of the results.

May do the above mentioned in the future! :icon_thumright:

If you're getting the car up on a ramp to change the 4 corners, you might as well do the RARB at the same time and save yourself a bit of hassle?

Better to do the roll bar with the weight of the car on the wheels though. A pair of drive on ramps are perfect.

:thumbsup: