RS3 Spec and Prices. Would you...?

RS4 would take my money but then again its now old and only second hand although i know the 8P is an old platform they are still selling it and nothing like picking up a new car.

no the engine in it's entirety may not be, but bits of it are. the block is from the US VW Rabbit 2.5, and i think the turbo is from the RS6. they weren't developing all new parts, so it shouldn't have taken them that long to make

You need to do some more research and read my post. The block IS NOT from the 2.5 Rabbit/jetta engine its merely based on it.

The material is completely different, and the exterior dimensions of the block are also different, as well totally different internals, direct injection in the RS as opposed to port injection, different valvetrain, ancillaries placed in a different arrangement, as well the fact that is turbocharged! The only thing in common in the Bore and Stroke THATS IT!

ae-plus.com - The Audi 2.5 TFSI engine

Last edited:
if you look over on VAGOC there are many TT-RS owners with Stage 1/2 Revo and Bluefin maps with no problems.

so, once again Audi failed to deliver the car the customer wanted then ..........Its a bit like buying a set of imperial spanners and filing them out to metric sizes...Surely its just easier to buy the car you wanted in the first place.

+ 1 Paddy

BUT why didn't you buy an S3 rather than fitting the vents to yours????:moa::Flush:

DMS do healthy trade in 911 turbo remaps. Bet those owners are gutted they bought the wrong car. Bless them.

DMS do healthy trade in 911 turbo remaps. Bet those owners are gutted they bought the wrong car. Bless them.

Evening Paul :) Nothing on the telly in Geordie land either then !!

At least I know what to do if I break down in the desert and my Land Rover conks out.
Ray Mears knows his ****.

`Rays Sun bans` with a pen knife and a corn flake box!, seriously, he really knows his shizzle.

The Five USA film 8mm is quite good at 10,oclock

I just finished building this plastic kit for a internet review.

FinishedBrisfit.jpg

Brings back my mispent youth....lol

Last edited:
so, once again Audi failed to deliver the car the customer wanted then ..........Its a bit like buying a set of imperial spanners and filing them out to metric sizes...Surely its just easier to buy the car you wanted in the first place.

You obviously felt the same when you remapped your 3.2? Maybe that's what caused the thousands £££ worth of damage to your camshaft?!
VAG spent millions and many years perfecting the staggered 6 then you went and tinkered with it...what do they know eh?! lol

Bring BRAVO back so we can have those `Operation Repo` fat oxygen thief trash back on the box!

You obviously felt the same when you remapped your 3.2? Maybe that's what caused the thousands £££ worth of damage to your camshaft?!
VAG spent millions and many years perfecting the staggered 6 then you went and tinkered with it...what do they know eh?! lol

:laugh:
C`mon Pad, credit where credits due, thats is a good reply!

The Five USA film 8mm is quite good at 10,oclock

I just finished building this plastic kit for a internet review.

FinishedBrisfit.jpg

Brings back my mispent youth....lol

Cool.
Did you fashion the prop from a caramac?

Yup, audi spent a fortune getting the 3.2 just right an it cost me less than £200 to mess it up...lo.......l so learn from my mistakes :no: .

You need to do some more research and read my post. The block IS NOT from the 2.5 Rabbit/jetta engine its merely based on it.

The material is completely different, and the exterior dimensions of the block are also different, as well totally different internals, direct injection in the RS as opposed to port injection, different valvetrain, ancillaries placed in a different arrangement, as well the fact that is turbocharged! The only thing in common in the Bore and Stroke THATS IT!

ae-plus.com - The Audi 2.5 TFSI engine

ah i'd read somewhere the block was the same. i stand corrected!

far to expensive and doesnt look special enough, you could buy a r35 skyline which is far superior even though its jap. plus its 5 door, small cars look **** in 5 door

I think a used GT-R would be a much better buy as long you could afford to run it, one thing I am considering for 2 cars from now!
For the same money, a nearly new one would completely pi55 all over an RS3!

I think a used GT-R would be a much better buy as long you could afford to run it, one thing I am considering for 2 cars from now!
For the same money, a nearly new one would completely pi55 all over an RS3!

Isnt there a guy on here who just bought an S3 and recently sold GTR because of the running costs? In fact I recall he posted up typical costs for of tyres/brakes/servicing etc which made for some scary reading.

It would be interesting to see the compared aggrogated costs over 3yrs for the GTR and its more expensive rivals such as the 911T. Once you factor the running costs, purchase price and depreciation I wonder if the GTR would in fact be the bargain its list price suggests?
FWIW I would still love a GTR on the drive. And an RS3 or that matter.

Paul

I think the point is with an GT-R you get a purpose built car full of technology and yes it will be expensive to run but once you are spending 45-50k on a car i doubt that is really to much of a worry. Performance is expensive and probably unreliable and that might be where Audi have the edge, we will see as time goes by My colleague has a new Evo and that needs a full blown service every 6k miles and eats tyres in less. The plus point for the Audi which will be worth a lot to most owners is power with reliability and reasonable running costs, the down side is you have to run about in a old SB to achieve that.

It would be interesting to see the compared aggrogated costs over 3yrs for the GTR and its more expensive rivals such as the 911T. Once you factor the running costs, purchase price and depreciation I wonder if the GTR would in fact be the bargain its list price suggests?

esp now the GT-R is now £80k. i'd never buy one.

RS3 wise, i'd buy one if i literally had everything else and had more money than sense. the engine makes more sense in the TT, but that price is just ludicrous for a hatchback.

RS3 SB, TT-RS, Z4 M coupe (E85 model just replaced), Cayman S or the wild card...Monaro VXR, I want one of these in the nearish future, whats your thoughts?!

You have a strange requirement if you need a CaymanS or a SB !! Cayman will lose money the fastest but it does mean you can pick one up cheap now ...but then a Z4 coupe is cheap as well. RS money will get you a really nice 997. Proper car :)

I think the point is with an GT-R you get a purpose built car full of technology and yes it will be expensive to run but once you are spending 45-50k on a car i doubt that is really to much of a worry. Performance is expensive and probably unreliable and that might be where Audi have the edge, we will see as time goes by My colleague has a new Evo and that needs a full blown service every 6k miles and eats tyres in less. The plus point for the Audi which will be worth a lot to most owners is power with reliability and reasonable running costs, the down side is you have to run about in a old SB to achieve that.

Which EVO?
Ive done some research on the EVO X and its a different animal to the earlier cars, service intervals, tyre wear and service intervals are better than the earlier more hardcore EVOs and pretty much comparible to what I get with the S3. Which isnt cheap.

Not sure about the JDM versions or the FQ400 but certainly the FQ330 Ive been researching and test drove is 10K intervals. However most people who bought these new paid the £500 for the service package anyway which mean no service bills for 3years, transferable between owners too.
Many EVO owners are seeing 10-15K miles from the front tyres with normal use.

Cheers
Paul

Its 08 Paul, i think its the last of the IX's SE. I will check tomorrow. If you want 4 doors and easy access for the little one then it could be right up your street. Its not Audi finish inside but its not far off and being Jap its probably as reliable as anything else. It will **** all over a 3.2 :) and some.

Its 08 Paul, i think its the last of the IX's SE. I will check tomorrow. If you want 4 doors and easy access for the little one then it could be right up your street. Its not Audi finish inside but its not far off and being Jap its probably as reliable as anything else. It will **** all over a 3.2 :) and some.

The X is actually quite different to the earlier cars, many of the EVO boys dont like the X because of its been dumbed down and got fat. But this ios what make it a more realistic daily proposition for me, much easier to live with as a family wagon.
The cabin was surprisingly good too, not AUDI standard but very clean and simple with a very good RockFord Fossgate touchscreen MMI. The SST (paddle shift) is the one to have IMO, the manual is 5 speed which I really dont fancy, particularly after trying the paddles shift on aggressive settings.
Boot is a bit small as the multi changer, RF sub and battery is behind the rear seats, but the cabin is a good size. The seats are mega, no leather in the FQ330 though.

Last year I was offerred a 6 month old FQ330, 3K miles, top spec, private sale £24K. Thats a lot of car for the money. Like for like SB S3s were changing hands for £32K ish which would mean extending payments and ownership WELL into the new platform life cycle which I didnt want.
As much as would love a new Ibis S3 SB with the pan roof etc, I couldnt make it work in my head. It would also have cost another 1K to sort some mild mods and swap and refurb BBS rims etc.

Sorry for for the off topic ricer chat guys!

cheers
Paul

You have a strange requirement if you need a CaymanS or a SB !! Cayman will lose money the fastest but it does mean you can pick one up cheap now ...but then a Z4 coupe is cheap as well. RS money will get you a really nice 997. Proper car :)

yep Z4 Ms going v cheap now, been in my mates Z4 3.0si coupe and I love it. But when the whethers cold and wet and I just love the fact you can still use your performance safely with a fast quattro car, hence considering an RS3 too! The sleeper look and practicality is appealing although I have no kids n im only 24!

Love the Cayman but the interior is dissappointing, however driving position engine and handling are superb.

yep Z4 Ms going v cheap now, been in my mates Z4 3.0si coupe and I love it. But when the whethers cold and wet and I just love the fact you can still use your performance safely with a fast quattro car, hence considering an RS3 too! The sleeper look and practicality is appealing although I have no kids n im only 24!

Love the Cayman but the interior is dissappointing, however driving position engine and handling are superb.

I dont quite have your dilemna mate, has to be 4 seats, 4 doors handy but not essential, under 12 month old and prefferably 4wd.

So thats AUDI or EVO or Subaru or ......errr
The 335i is on the list too although the last 2 winters have made me think again.

Actually, when you look at my criteria, the RS3 fits quite nicely. The price however doesnt but I can completely see why people would want one.

I honestly think the 335d is a serious option to the 335i these days. ****** quick but all the above options are less than the sum of an Evo if the X has been toned down a fraction for every day use.

I honestly think the 335d is a serious option to the 335i these days. ****** quick but all the above options are less than the sum of an Evo if the X has been toned down a fraction for every day use.

A BMW is NEVER an option to an Audi..... Tasteless Crap in my opinion.

As good as dervs are these days, my personal preference for a performance car is still petrol. No manual option on the 335d neither which isnt an issue if you prefer auto of course.

cheers
Paul

As good as dervs are these days, my personal preference for a performance car is still petrol. No manual option on the 335d neither which isnt an issue if you prefer auto of course.

cheers
Paul

the auto seems a little daft as well. if it's the same one as the 635d then it starts off in 2nd gear because there's too much torque... what's the point in that lol

BMW and Mercedes are stupid for not offering there 4wd X and 4-Matic models in the UK. A 335xi coupe would be perfect! Sharper steering then an Audi and great twin turbo 6cyl engine, the US and Europe get these models so why cant we?

the auto seems a little daft as well. if it's the same one as the 635d then it starts off in 2nd gear because there's too much torque... what's the point in that lol

Most autos in larger engines start of in 2nd because it allows a much smoother take off, been the case for ages.

BMW and Mercedes are stupid for not offering there 4wd X and 4-Matic models in the UK. A 335xi coupe would be perfect! Sharper steering then an Audi and great twin turbo 6cyl engine, the US and Europe get these models so why cant we?

i can only speak for Mercedes here, but apparently the steering rack would foul the oil reservoir for the 4WD system. they never developed 4WD for their cars because the uptake in RHD countries would be too low so it was never financially feasible. it's the same reason the GLK isn't offered here - it uses the C-Class platform with the same problem

i reckon given time this will probably be rectified, but considering this has applied for 2 generations of cars it isn't going to happen any time soon.

Most autos in larger engines start of in 2nd because it allows a much smoother take off, been the case for ages.

none of my parents' big engine (but petrol) Mercs do this, unless they're put in comfort mode. my understanding is the BMW does it irrespective of what setting it's in, unless it's being changed manually.

£45k!!!!! Omg..why not grab an extra £10k and get a 997 turbo.