RS3 - Real World Vs Forza 4 at Hockenheim

MBK

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
RS3Hockpit.jpg

Can an Xbox 360 game really capture the essence of an RS3? Is the digital version faster than the real thing? Sport auto, a German car magazine, tested the RS3 on the Hockenheim Short Circuit and achieved a lap time of 1:15.4s. Usefully Sport auto also print the corner apex speeds which makes a more detailed comparison with the game possible.

HockenheimShortRS3.jpg

Sport auto real RS3 lap time, corner speeds and g-forces at Hockenheim short circuit

Which would be quicker in the final reckoning? If the result is all you are interested in, ultimately the game does allow a quicker lap with 1:14.4 achievable although closer to 1m15s for lap after lap consistency. To keep things comparable I used a standard RS3 in Forza 4 and using the manufacturers recommended tyre pressures, with all the assists turned off and simulation steering. Also only ‘clean’ laps were counted to avoid gaining any advantage with off track excursions.

Capturing the Feel

2.jpg

CSR wheel made for Forza 4

Incredibly, using a Fanatec CSR wheel and CSR Elite pedals, Forza 4 really is able capture the feel of the real car, the corner speeds and g-forces are incredibly close to reality. As with the real car the RS3 is assured and you can feel the high levels of grip through the wheel inspiring the confidence to push for the lap times. Through the faster corners the steering goes momentarily light as the front tyres reach the limit of grip, a sure sign the RS3 has give all it has. In the slower corners attempting to turn in too fast of get on the power too early results in masses of understeer and slower lap time, as often reported during track tests.

Corner by Corner Comparison

Ultimately the digital car went faster but where did it make up the time and just how close are the real apex speeds? The real and in game g-forces are as good as identical throughout which gives confidence in the physics used in the game.

Hock1.jpg

Nordkurve – Real: 79mph, Forza 4: 79mph

Braking down from 114mph, the highest speed section of the track across start finish straight, into the 79mph Nordkurve takes precision. Take a big piece of the curb on the inside and use all the available track on the way out to accelerate through. In the real world this would take some nerve the RS3 is up on tip toes through this quick section.

79mph is optimal here, the steering goes light on turn in, hold the throttle at 79mph through the apex and then feed in the power while slowly winding off the lock on the way out. Go in quicker than 79mph and you are forced to lift to avoid running out of road and ruin you exit speed. So far so good, the real world and Forza are identical here.

Hock2.jpg

Ameisenskurve - Real: No data Forza 4: 42mph

Another big braking zone, more than 1.5g on the brakes into this tight right hander. The RS3 feels it’s weight here and the best way to go through quickly is to brake all the way to the apex tighten the line and get back on the power early, letting the Quattro system do it’s work. Exit speed is everything here for the next big straight.

Hock3.jpg

Querspange – Real: 106mph Forza 4: 110mph

The fastest corner on the track and here is where the game gains some of it’s advantage managing to carry up to another 4mph through this curve. Carrying this much speed into the next kink and corner makes for an interesting couple of moments. Whether I’d have the guts to carry this much speed for real in my own RS3 is debatable. At 106mph the RS3 is totally assured and well settled for the next corner so again the real world recorded speed seems the more sensible.

Hock4.jpg

Querspange (exit) - Real: 52mph Forza 4: 52mph

Going fast is easy. The real challenge is shedding the speed and getting the entry speed to the next corner right. The 52mph recorded by Sport auto is again exactly matched in the game. Attempt to carry more speed in and you get lots of tyre squeal and a short, exciting (and slow!) four wheel drift which means it’s time to lift or say hello to the waiting outside wall. Equally when you do get the entry right holding 52mph until you can see the exit is essential or you scrub away speed as you are forced to add steering lock.

Hock5.jpg

Motodrom – Real: 74mph Forza 4: 78mph

Motodrom is another challenging fast corner that requires patience on the way in. Hold 78mph and feed in the power. Again Forza 4 has managed to capture the physics of the mass of the RS3, the weight of the car pushing out toward the gravel trap. It’s easy to go in too fast or get on the power too early here and end up buried in the sand.

Hock6.jpg

Sachskurve – Real: 48mph Forza 4: 48mph

Another corner where reality and Forza are perfectly matched. This is a real ‘wait for it’ corner. Get the entry speed spot on and balance the throttle, catch the cub on the way in and aim for the end of the curb on the exit, feeding the power in as the nose pushes away from the apex. Patience is a virtue here it is easy to get drawn in to getting on the power too early.

Hock7.jpg

Senke Real: 68mph Forza 4:62mph

Senke is tricky to get right, it looks much quicker than it is but go in too fast and you ruin your line for the final corner. The RS3 can take a number of lines though here and keeping the car settled seems more important than outright pace. Here the game is slightly quicker probably because you don’t feel the real forces and bumps that would be at play.

Hock8.jpg

Sudkurve Real: 66mph Forza 4: 68mph

Final corner and important to get the exit speed right here for the run to the line and to achieve vmax of 114mph - again reality and the game are matched on the top speed achievable. The RS3 feels perfectly balanced through this corner, the slight lightness in the steering indicating the tyres are on the limit of adhesion as you edge toward the outer curb.

A Victory for the Game?

Sort of. The time is mostly irrelevant, gaining a second on a game where there is no risk of an accident and you can produce lap after lap with no concern for brake fade is a lot easier than the real thing. Would I attempt to turn in to Querspange at 111mph in my real £40K plus RS3? Probably not!

What is great is that for the most part the corner speeds are realistic and more importantly the simulation feels like a real RS3, you feel the weight of the car, the understeer if you get greedy with the throttle and the power push you out of corners when you show patience and get it all right. It’s also a great way to learn and practice the skills and techniques of the race track – it takes some skill to (cleanly) match and surpass the Sport auto time.

As close as you can get to the real thing? I’d say so yes, what I experience here is exactly what I’m used to from the RS3, it’s an apex speed sensitive car, you have to get your turn in speed just right to avoid understeer, then you can get on the power as you unwind the lock and use all the road available. Quite incredible for 'just a game'.

An interesting comparison, especially given the NSX comparison on Top Gear Laguna Seca test was so far out.

Seems Forza has the edge in terms of real world simulation.

I have Microsofts XBOX certified force feedback wheel with a WheelStand Pro mount and it does feel a very natural set up, and much more realistic than Gran Turismo with the Logitech wheel.

As you say, when your out on the track with other drivers to consider, environmental variables, wear and tear factors etc., it will be nigh on impossible to recreate the lap times you get on these games in the real world, especially as its always nice to leave the track with an intact functional car (I had a further 1200 miles of cross Euro trekking after our trip to the Ring and needed the car to be safe doing so).

I'd always been a GT fan, but I crumbled and bought the XBOX360 Forza Edition and haven't looked back. A great game, and now I can get to see what you RS3 owners have whilst only having to cough up S3 money in the real world ;-)

An interesting comparison, especially given the NSX comparison on Top Gear Laguna Seca test was so far out.

Seems Forza has the edge in terms of real world simulation.

I have Microsofts XBOX certified force feedback wheel with a WheelStand Pro mount and it does feel a very natural set up, and much more realistic than Gran Turismo with the Logitech wheel.

As you say, when your out on the track with other drivers to consider, environmental variables, wear and tear factors etc., it will be nigh on impossible to recreate the lap times you get on these games in the real world, especially as its always nice to leave the track with an intact functional car (I had a further 1200 miles of cross Euro trekking after our trip to the Ring and needed the car to be safe doing so).

I'd always been a GT fan, but I crumbled and bought the XBOX360 Forza Edition and haven't looked back. A great game, and now I can get to see what you RS3 owners have whilst only having to cough up S3 money in the real world ;-)

Thanks for the reply Warren I was starting to think I might be on my own with my gaming habit. The Forza crowd quite liked the comparison so I thought I 'd share here too. I was also surprised it was so close but Forza does seem about as close to reality as it gets with the assists off and simulation steering - the fact they keep adding cars like the RS3, C63 Black keeps the play value going. I couldn't get on with the latest Gran Turismo at all which is shame because it is great. I also tried iracing on PC but the cars seem to have no feel or weight no matter what settings I use. I recommend the Fanatec wheels too, though they are a bit pricey, the level of feedback and control they allow is something you really have to experience to understand.

You guys should definitely play the next forza then - horizon. My older brother is lead programmer (and part owner) of the forza franchise, and he's obsessed with making his racing games as realistic as possible. - this will be his first game since leaving codemasters ( responsible for all the Colin mcrae games, TOCA, Race Driver and the Dirt series).. I'm gonna send him a link to this thread, see what he makes of all this :)

You guys should definitely play the next forza then - horizon. My older brother is lead programmer (and part owner) of the forza franchise, and he's obsessed with making his racing games as realistic as possible. - this will be his first game since leaving codemasters ( responsible for all the Colin mcrae games, TOCA, Race Driver and the Dirt series).. I'm gonna send him a link to this thread, see what he makes of all this :)

That's great, I'm looking forward to Horizon, already pre-ordered. The Forza faithful seem evenly split at the moment, some think it's a risk to move away from the circuit to open world when so many similar games have disappointed. I have a feeling they'll ace it because the Forza people are clearly a bunch of real petrolheads. As for the McRae, Toca, Dirt games, all legendary, I 've wasted many a happy hour with those games.

If he needs someone to test an early copy....

have to say that comparison of forza and the real world was pretty close, i'm impressed with the results, always loved nerding it up on forza, and yeah i thought the idea of the new one was abit to much like need for speed and i didnt like that... but i have to say horizon is actually really good! i kinda thought what the hell are forza doing moving away from the pro-racing scene, but fair play they really have pulled it off!

Completely agree Horizon is just great fun to play. A shame there is no RS3 but the TTRS is a real weapon in single player and online. They really have replicated the feel of a Sunday morning blast on rural roads.

Reactions: Purdy99