1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RS3 8V: One step at a time

Shaunee Aug 15, 2016

1. arf @66

arf @66 New Member

just had 3 cups a coffee reading through all that so far:grinning:.as usual you always give a great in depth write up on your projects.brings me back to the good old days over on scoobynet.not sure if you remember me from sn,i was bigarf on there.itl be good to see what the finished product is.that's if there ever is an end to a project.i know with the scoob I could never stop modding.i did say I would keep the rs3 standered when I first bought it.2 weeks in and I had the decat pipes fitted and was booking it in for a remap.keep up the good work mate.

Shaunee likes this.
  2. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

Hello mate..... didn't know you had gone to the German barge! :D

3. arf @66

arf @66 New Member

yeah,had it about 2 an half years now.i got the scoob to just about were I wanted it but just didn't get the time to use it for what I built it for.so I decided to let go and buy the rs3.a car I can use as a daily driver that still had potential for tuning.i was planning on leaving this one alone but I had the stage1 map done,then a little later fitted the intercooler,now I'm just waiting for the tte500 turbo to turn up to see how that goes.tbh I don't think itl be long before I go a similar route to what your doing.ive already sampled the syvecs and the gtx35 on the scoob with all the other trimmings.theres just something about having over 700bhp that gets the adrenaline pumping.:grinning:

Shaunee and terminator x like this.
  4. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

Life begins at 500+bhp. You know the score bud!

5. arf @66

arf @66 New Member

most certainly does mate.

6. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

Things haven’t quite panned out as I had envisaged, but that’s always the risk when not going down the “off the shelf” route……

Putting it bluntly there have been some issues with being able to progress with the pre-production big turbo kit fitment. It has been suggested that the current manifold design may need some alterations made around the collector (which is where the five tubes meet for the turbo exhaust side). This will take at least 5 weeks to redesign and fabricate. Due to this, other competing workload and not enough hours in the day, I have been informed that it will be unrealistic to expect any real progress to be made on this until the Autumn.

Believe me, this is disappointing but it is what is it.

So I had a decision to make…… wait until the Autumn to start, and let’s be honest that could drift again, or take a different direction now. I chose the latter.

I don’t know how this will pan out, but until I try then I won’t know.

I have now decided to have a hybrid turbo created based on the OEM housing and manifold, so I have commissioned Litchfield and Turbo Dynamics to “crack on” with this.

I have done a fair amount of work with both of these companies in the past with hybrid turbos with really good results, so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

Ideally I never wanted to go down this route as this will fall well short of where I wanted the car to be powerwise, however, it’s more about the journey for me than any single result at any single point in time.

In some respects it fits better now into the Staged approach I prefer to take, being more of a Stage 3 conversion utilising the stock turbo frame.

Whilst I fully appreciate this has been done before by others, there are some ideas we’ve discussed to look at trying something slightly different to what is currently available.

I’ll still be keeping one eye on the big turbo development, but I won’t expect to be up and running properly with that until the next drag strip season. In the meantime I’m hopeful we can make positive progress with a hybrid unit.

I’ll update as soon as I start getting pictures and details back from Litchfield and TD.

7. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Audi S3 DSG

Hi Shaun...that's a real shame with the manifold.

Nortech did the manifold on mine and made a superb job of it....who designed/fabricated yours?

Good luck with the hybrid.....some of the TTE hybrids are giving very good results on the current platform cars,and I really hope that goes well,plus the Syvecs ought to bring in some useful gains there too.

I also know how disappointing it is when things don't go the way they should.....at one point we had the engine in bits for around 3 mths while we waited on parts that were scheduled to arrive.

8. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

The manifold is being created between Litchfield and Nortech. Nortech are that busy they unfortunately haven't the resource at the moment to progress. It will get sorted, but in the meantime I just want to get on with something else even if it's a stop gap.

Syvecs is another issue i'm afraid. Basically it doesn't work on the 8V! :( We were assured it would, but that wasn't the case when we tried. This needs much more development, which I can't wait for at the moment. We're now sticking with the OEM ECU for the time being.

So plenty of heart ache over recent months, but onward and upwards.

Delays and things not going to plan is all part and parcel of things that are not off the shelf.

It will all come good in the end I'm sure!

9. S3Alex

Wow....you're not having an easy time there.

I found Nortech very helpful,but as with yourself,very busy.

As far as I knew,Syvecs hadn't got the ECU for the newer TSi out yet,but assumed they must have done as you had one....!
    Will Syvecs support you with that?

It's extremely frustrating being held back,more so when it's on several issues.
    Good luck with it all.....looking forwards to seeing how the hybrid goes.

10. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

Stock blower is now off the car and is sat with Turbo Dynamics, being prepared for the custom Litchfield Stage 3 spec for testing!

[​IMG]

S3Alex likes this.
  11. LEW_PERFECT

LEW_PERFECT Member

This is awesome!

My mate has a mk7 Golf R running 560 done by VRS Northampton. It's absolutely insane! Best of luck with this project

12. swlabhot

swlabhot Member

I have a couple questions about the Milltek secondary decats.

1. Does it throw a cel?
    2. Does it sound like stock quiet (with completely stock exhaust) when set in comfort mode?

13. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

1. No.
    2. Yes.

14. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

After what has been weeks (months) lol, my new Hybrid Borg Warner EFR Turbo has been done and is waiting for installation!

This has had extensive work to cram in a 7163 EFR core into the stock housing.

Cast inlet pipe and manifold have been ported.

Exhaust housing has been strengthened to account for the very large turbine.

Seals and actuator have been upgraded.

Can't wait until we test this.

Don't ask me how much power it will make.... we don't know! I'll find out soon though!!!

Core is capable of 550-600bhp, but it won't make that in this install due to the exhaust flow restrictions of the exhaust housing and manifold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S3Alex likes this.
  15. poverty

poverty Active Member

Bring on the boost!

16. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

Slight misunderstanding of what was ordered and fitted. I've now got a full Miltek system on. Decatted and no centre resonators.

I'm going to see how this sounds.

Exhaust tips look good though!

The new VIS HPFP was also fitted this morning along with the NGK uprated spark plugs.

The car will hopefully hit the dyno tomorrow for initial testing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stock DP:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S3Alex likes this.
  17. S3Alex

Looks like it has a lot fewer restrictions and narrow points than the original,so it should do the business...good luck for today.

18. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

With the new exhaust system fitted:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car had its inaugural Stage 3 run on the dyno this afternoon for logging purposes. The car made 430bhp on a short run to 5600rpm AND with only 30% throttle throughout the run.

This was literally for logging purposes and the real mapping work starts from here.

Can't wait to see what this turbo can do on a finished map with wide open throttle and the full rev range.

S3Alex and jamiepaton5 like this.
  19. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

Quick update.....

Unfortunately the car hasn't had any real dyno time over the past few weeks, but further progress has been made during the very limited dyno time available.

[​IMG]

As you can see the car is now over 500bhp with the mid range now taking shape with 485lbft. MAHA dynos tend to give around 5% less torque than most other dynos. I'd expect this to be well over 500lbft on other dynos.

As you can see the map is very very smooth and torque is strong and flat through the mid range. Exactly how I wanted it from a general curve shape perspective.

As before, ignore the peak figures for now. There's plenty more to do with the map. More boost, ignition map hasn't been optimised, cam timing hasn't been touched and fuelling map will be adjusted...... plus I'm still on the stock inlet!

RyanJonS4 likes this.
  20. KurtisBye

KurtisBye Active Member TeamMisano Audi RS3 s tronic

Hi Shaun, love the thread, read your whole thread on scoobynet I had a hawkeye at the same time. Have you considered water meth? Or even better have you considered a meth/petrol fuel mix like on the scoobys? I keep wondering if it could be a good cheap route to more power.
    Cheers,
    Kurt.

Shaunee likes this.
  21. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

Hi Kurt,
    I don't think I'm going to bother with WMI, but may try meth and 99 mix.

Need to get Stage 3 all finished on 99 first, but time has been really limited to progress.

22. KurtisBye

Sounds a plan mate, can you see any draw backs to running the meth mix? Or any reason not to? Other than decreased mpg.

23. S3Alex

For what it's worth,Storm took out the WMI system I'd previously been using,and got more power and less boost via the Syvecs,and I now have to say that whilst it seemed like a good idea at the time to run WMI,in retrospect it achieved less than I'd thought.

I think that with good mapping,and decent flow through the engine,it's not so useful.

Callum66 likes this.
  24. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

The only drawback is that it's a bit of a pain in the ****.

As you know I ran meth in my Hawkeye..... gave +10% power with a 20% mix. It certainly works well, but isn't very practical imo.

I'm going to look (once the core package for 99 is finished) at other fuels in the future.

25. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

Depends what you use WMI for.... if it's just for cooling then benefit will be minimal. If it's mapped for then gains will be greater..... problem then is if you have a failure in the WMI system.

S3Alex likes this.
  26. S3Alex

Exactly.....and that's the pitfall I've always mentioned in my own thread.....by all means use it,but just bear in mind what happens if it fails,and you were relying on it at full boost!

I remember you saying that Syvecs for the current engine is a way off,but I was fortunate enough to find that Andy gained a lot more from timing and fuelling,and was able to switch off the WMI altogether,and I can't say I miss it at all.

I'd used it previously with the stock ECU and older turbos,without the head work on the engine,and I think under those circumstances it had some benefits,but not now....

27. KurtisBye

Yes this is the problem, the amount of litres needed to make it worthwhile also makes it a pain in the ****. Have you considered NF race or ultra it is much more practical but also much more expensive and the gains are perhaps not worth while?

28. Shaunee

Shaunee Member

I will hopefully get around to trying NF at some point and having the map changed to suit.

29. S3Alex

I found this a while ago......it's interesting in that the gains for all are rather less than the claims,although the NF product did best overall.

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/Octane-Booster-Shootout.php