RS3 (367) vs RS3 Sedan (400)

Leo-RS

Reaction score
A friend of mine over in South Africa has a loan of a new facelift Sedan for the night. He owns a PFL RS3 8V and put the 2 head to head.

His first impressions are that the facelift car is noticeably quicker. He has sent me a vbox picture of the 0-100kmh display of 3.6 (as opposed to the official 4.1) so 60 should be good for 3.4 in the UK.

IMG 8366

He also managed to get some footage of a launch race against the Sedan...

And also against the BMW M2 from a roll

And then from a launch, where it wheelspins off the line and still butchers it...

He owns a tuned RS6 C7 and a PFL RS3 and his first impressions of the car are very good.

A sign of good things to come then.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, RS-jay, S. and 6 others
Wow, the FL easily pulls away from the PFL. Will be some machine as the PFL is not slow!

Reactions: RS-jay, AudiNutta and Leo-RS
Wow, the FL easily pulls away from the PFL. Will be some machine as the PFL is not slow!

Well with more power and a lighter engine it was always going to be a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The engines torque and power bands are superb in the new car.

Power 395bhp at 5850-7000rpm;
Torque 354lb ft at 1700-5850rpm

Peak power for over 1000rpm and peak torque for over 4000rpm.

It's not the peak figures so to speak, it's the incredible range above. Most power graphs hold peak power for a couple of hundred rpm, this holds it right where you need it.

The bigger turbo will be helping a lot here keeping these figures maintained.

Reactions: dunes7
Very impressive. I wonder why Audi have been so conservative in their official performance figures, with those sorts of times they could comfortably have said 0-60 in 3.9, perhaps it's because the RS3 is actually faster than the RS5 and they needed to show the considerably more expensive RS5 as being the faster car. RS5 450 PS unladen weight 1655 kg RS3 400 PS unladen weight 1515 kg roughly 272 bhp per ton vs 264, so it's fairly close.

The good thing about Audi figures, they have always been quoted on the conservative side. Can certainly say that's true for all the past performance Audi cars I have owned too.

They do officially quote 0-60mph in 3.9 btw, Audi of America use this figure as 0-100kmh is a Euro figure and completely irrelevant to America. Not sure why Britain has never followed suit with America though in quoting the 0-60. 100kmh is just as irrelevant to us, perhaps this will change when we leave Europe.

Regardless, the figures will always comes in under this. Audi have said their quoted figures are worst case scenario, extra passengers, fuel and weather so 4.1 to 100kmh is the worst you would ever expect.

The RS3 will be quicker than the RS5 or at least on a par. There isn't enough power difference between the 2 to make up the weight difference.

BMW on the other hand quote their best possible times (in perfect traction conditions)

And don't get me started on Nissan with their GTR claims. Not a hope in hell will that car do the claimed 2.7-2.8 that Nissan say it will. Independent tests always fall short at 3+. The same could be said with their Nurburgring times, manipulated by a non standard car setup.

At least Audi (and the rest of the VAG) quote worst case.

Last edited:

If you look art the video though, the PFL had his AC on. If the Saloon didn't, then that might explain the big difference.

Although isn't the rumours that a couple TT-RS's have been dyno'd and they push more like 430bhp? So that might explain it too?

Although isn't the rumours that a couple TT-RS's have been dyno'd and they push more like 430bhp? So that might explain it too?

The trouble with that is that dyno's can vary widely so the higher figures might simply be the dyno is out of calibration.

Seems a remap is necessary on the PFL then.. Can't have these new FL cars intimidating me...

Reactions: Joe4842
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus !

The face lift is quick isn't it ....... & the pre-facelift is no slouch :)

Impressive !

Reactions: Radman, AudiNutta and Leo-RS
If you look art the video though, the PFL had his AC on. If the Saloon didn't, then that might explain the big difference.

AC won't create a 10 car lead for the FL though.... if it makes that much of a difference, I need to be turning my AC off more!!

Wow! That is impressive, I honestly didn't think the facelift would be 'that' much quicker

I'm off to the Configurator . . .

Reactions: AudiNutta and Radman
Wow! That is impressive, I honestly didn't think the facelift would be 'that' much quicker

I'm off to the Configurator . . .

:lmfao:

I'm surprised too, did really well but all about power bands I suppose like mentioned above. Catalunya again? ;)

:lmfao:

I'm surprised too, did really well but all about power bands I suppose like mentioned above. Catalunya again? ;)

Still don't get why you guys weren't expecting a noticeable difference. Then new motor has tech passed down from the new MK7 R engine. That engine is a HUGE step up from the old one(they're already in the 9s 9.58@148). Mod for mod the difference is only going to get bigger from here.

Still don't get why you guys weren't expecting a noticeable difference. Then new motor has tech passed down from the new MK7 R engine. That engine is a HUGE step up from the old one(they're already in the 9s 9.58@148). Mod for mod the difference is only going to get bigger from here.

I'm talking from someone who has ordered one too, I'm not biased.. genuinely surprised that 30hp (often a lot less due to the PFL overperforming) made a huge difference like that.

The turbo and manifold on the new RS3 is fantastic. These are going to be very quick cars out of the box.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I get the impression from watching the video again that Audi have worked hard on the transmission, launch control and shift changes too. There wasn't much wrong with the old setup in the PFL so Audi deserve credit here. The online reviews are saying how quick the transmission is too.

They both launch as the lights change and the sedan just seems to pull away more cleanly. I have seen a few launched TTRS videos where the car does the same.

As everyone has said, the PFL is no slouch, it's a very quick car. It's obviously not just a peak power / lighter weight advantage being shown as 30hp/30kg wouldn't account for that. Audi looks to have improved on the transmission side too with the new box and an improved launch and shift program.

Looks impressive for sure.

Its the same box as the pre fl :)

Same part number. The whole drivetrain is the same lol. The haldex ECU differs.. Thats about it :/

Reactions: Leo-RS
Thanks for the info.

I wonder if they have worked on the LC and software of the box then? Perhaps no physical changes but just software related? It just appears to be getting away cleaner and quicker. If not, and it's solely the engine/ lighter weight then yes, very impressive.

Last edited:
Wow all that extra power shown on the video and this thing turns in with hardly any of the understeer it used to have! Well done audi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The turbo on the car is bigger, its more laggier than pre fl, but it has a better more usable powerband. Its the new turbo manifold doing its magic.

The turbo on the car is bigger, its more laggier than pre fl, but it has a better more usable powerband. Its the new turbo manifold doing its magic.

what about the Intercooler, do you know if it is also the same?

Mine did 0-100 in 3.7 which is very good especially in our hot summer weather.

Wow that's incredible, that means 0-60MPH in 3.5-3.6, what a machine.

It'll be way too quick for you, Matt; you'll not be able to handle it. :respekt:

Seriously, I can't wait for you to get your hands on one and hear of your own experiences, ALL of which I hope will be positive.

With you ALL the way, enjoy... :superman:

It'll be way too quick for you, Matt; you'll not be able to handle it. :respekt:

Seriously, I can't wait for you to get your hands on one and hear of your own experiences, ALL of which I hope will be positive.

With you ALL the way, enjoy... :superman:

I'm sure I will have a couple of reality check moments ;)

I saw my first one in person today, just stood there walking around it for 15 minutes with a HUGE smile on my face until my girlfriend dragged me away :lmfao: I asked for the keys and got told no, when I expressed how enthusiastically I have been following this car they unlocked it and let me sit in but wouldn't start it. Apparently they are waiting for the go-ahead from Audi to allow public access.

I am so excited now, 3 months sounds a long time so I'm telling myself it's getting built the month after next ;) 11 weeks, damn! :O :D Surreal isn't the word :yahoo:

Reactions: Joe4842 and 45bvtc
Am out in a Catalunya Red RS3 FL tomorrow at 09.00...
Will get one of my sons to video it..

I am hoping I don't ****** like it. :)

Am out in a Catalunya Red RS3 FL tomorrow at 09.00...
Will get one of my sons to video it..

I am hoping I don't ****** like it. :)

Damn, how did you swing that? Didn't think they would be registering any yet

They could take him out on trade plates :racer:

It was my belief that you can't unless a car is registered? Trade plates only provide tax? It needs to be registered for its identity, it has none on trade plates.

I was out with a salesman once and we saw a Mercedes out a few days before a plate change was due, it had trade plates on and he said it's naughty it shouldn't have been on the road.

Haven't heard of my supplying dealer having one yet. My local dealer was being a right tool the other day and made sure the RS was as quiet as possible so I couldn't hear it going into the showroom, *******

I can't recall any trade plates on the front at all but it did have a trade plate hanging from the boot.
He was a young bloke and let me boot it - which is a bit naughty.

Perhaps something "strange" there as CarWow vid has FL no quicker over 1/4 mile than PFL.

TX.

I drove the PFL and FL back to back and there was no discernible difference in velocity.

Perhaps something "strange" there as CarWow vid has FL no quicker over 1/4 mile than PFL.

TX.

Carwow vid could have had different conditions. The FL definitely looks to have the legs on the PFL on the side by side comparison. Those 1/4 mile times on that Carwow vid all looked a bit slow to me in truth.

what about the Intercooler, do you know if it is also the same?

Yes it's the same:

8V0 145 803 A

And it seems like the front crash beam is the same aswell. Altough the FL has two different part nr for it where one is the same as the PFL.

PFL: 8V4 807 109 B
FL: 8V4 807 109 B
8V4 807 109 D

Attachments

• intercooler 2016.jpg
    intercooler 2016.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 200
  • intercooler 2018.jpg
    intercooler 2018.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
In headline figures, 367HP versus 395HP and the FL being lighter it should indeed be a couple of tenths quicker 0-60 and a bit more accelerative in the gears but we all know the standard RS3 delivers nearer 385-390 HP so the real question is by how much have Audi understated the HP on the FL car?