RS 8V Grill Fitting/ Sensors

-Lewis-

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a RS grill, anything I need to know prior to fitting it? Anything to remove to ease fitment?
I have had a look at the thread on here for fitting it before anyone links that one.

I also have another question i have front parking sensors on mine but I have the chrome grill at the moment so my question is do I need to buy two new black sensors as the current ones have grey faces on them or is there another way?

Thanks

The aftermarket grill i fitted to my own came with the points to simply click the sensors in across the Grill. I don't know if you see the colour on the grill piece but that can be sorted after anyway. The original came with a central sensor which i just tucked in. have no clue what its for but its never caused me any issues at all. Not having a clue how the front bumper came off and low quality jacks only it took me a few hours but once you have done it once you can strip them in about 20 mins without rushing

Hopefully getting mine done in the next few months! Remember to paint the crash bar.. sorry I couldn't help with what you actually asked..

Reactions: -Lewis-
The aftermarket grill i fitted to my own came with the points to simply click the sensors in across the Grill. I don't know if you see the colour on the grill piece but that can be sorted after anyway. The original came with a central sensor which i just tucked in. have no clue what its for but its never caused me any issues at all. Not having a clue how the front bumper came off and low quality jacks only it took me a few hours but once you have done it once you can strip them in about 20 mins without rushing

The new grill has the holes for the parking sensors but since my sensors as finished in grey looking at my current grill they'll look odd when it comes to have the RS3 gloss black grill on. I was wondering if people have bought new sensors or just sprayed them?

Hopefully getting mine done in the next few months! Remember to paint the crash bar.. sorry I couldn't help with what you actually asked..
Thanks noted, what does everyone use? matt black paint?

I used Hammerite black paint, 10,000 miles later its a bit chipped, but nothing major!

The new grill has the holes for the parking sensors but since my sensors as finished in grey looking at my current grill they'll look odd when it comes to have the RS3 gloss black grill on. I was wondering if people have bought new sensors or just sprayed them?

Thanks noted, what does everyone use? matt black paint?
Use PlastiDip or HyperLex rubber paint. The matt finish will 1) not catch / reflect any light and thus help hide the crash bar from sight and 2) the rubberised finish will help prevent any chipping :)

Reactions: -Lewis-, Rob2k68 and James Clatworthy
That's the best idea! I wish i'd have thought of it!

Reactions: DJAlix
I had the grey sensors vinyl wrapped in gloss black - matches perfectly:grinning:

Attachments

• IMG_6124.JPG
    IMG_6124.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 245
Use PlastiDip or HyperLex rubber paint. The matt finish will 1) not catch / reflect any light and thus help hide the crash bar from sight and 2) the rubberised finish will help prevent any chipping :)

Cheers ill get a tin bought ready for when i fit the grill.

I had the grey sensors vinyl wrapped in gloss black - matches perfectly:grinning:

Perfect, ill get that done then. do they still work ok with the vinyl wrap over them?

How does everyone attach there plates to the grills when they aren't using the holder as i have a 5 digit plate id rather not have a full size one stuck on it as i think it looks neater when its smaller.

Perfect, ill get that done then. do they still work ok with the vinyl wrap over them?

Paint is probably between 100 and 200 microns thick whereas a cast vinyl is around 50 microns.

Reactions: azibux1, -Lewis- and Jassyo06
do you have any pictures of the grill fitted to your car? and where you bought it from, ive been looking at grills on ebay.

ok thanks, seems the ebay grills are not as bad as i orignally thought they maybe then. Did you fit it yourself and was it hard to do?

thanks

It was straight forward to put in, and great quality, it took about 40 minutes, depending how well you can get your bumper off and paint the silver crash bar (not sure of the technical word) behind the grill, relocated the crash sensor into the grill and job done, it was pretty simple!

It was straight forward to put in, and great quality, it took about 40 minutes, depending how well you can get your bumper off and paint the silver crash bar (not sure of the technical word) behind the grill, relocated the crash sensor into the grill and job done, it was pretty simple!
ok great thanks, if i get mine for the weekend i'll give myself another job to do. I'll see if there is a write up that anyones done