Router problem

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I've recently got a small problem with my Wireless Router, basically, I can access certain pages with my desktop if connected directly to the internet via the cable hub, but once the router is plugged in, certain web pages can't be accessed with both my desktop PC and laptop?! I'm currently using Blueyonder/VirginMedia Broadband, and the router I have is around 2 years old, it's never done this before, so is it a new router time, or some setting problem?

More than likely its either a content filter or a firewall issue. what make is the router and if you can connect directly into the cable modem why do you need it?

Have you tried cycling the power (off then back on?)

have you installed somthing recently

like peer guardine, or new firewalls ?

switch all your firewalls etc off, then try again,

Router is for Wireless in the house for my Laptop, it's a Linksys WRT54G, and has been setup and left alone for 2 years wothout a hitch! I use to be able to open these pages before until last week, then it's started to not respond to the pages, but works fine through the desktop connected directly to the Cable hub.
I have tried the on off and resetting everything and setting up the router again, so I'm pretty sure it's a ******** router... saying that though, I'm making this post and surfing as.net on my laptop with the current setup? so really odd.
Tried it with all my firewalls off Rick, and no joy... peer gardian has never offected my setup in any way also.

could be a dns issue. check in the router to see if if gets DNS servers automatically or if they are manually entered in.

I used to manually set my dns servers as I knew they were reliable, but it turned out they werent updating and when audi-sport.net moved to the new server I couldnt see it as I was still trying to contact it on the old IP address

Er, hope that made sense, if you see DNS server entries in your router, like 212.158.192.2 etc etc then just make sure the router is set to automatic for DNS servers.

failing that, open up a command box and type:

ipconfig /flushdns

followed by:

ipconfig /renew

and see what happens

Just tried that Olly, and no joy, infact, the wireless connection is playing up also, so i think it's ********... time to invest in a new one methinks.

OK, new router purchased and same problems!
Looks like it's a router problem/setting that's stopping me from surfing a certain site.
Doing a search for local wireless connections has brought up a new router, which I can actually rob the bandwidth off... would a similar spec(or possibly the same) router effect my own router signal? My laptop keeps locking onto this other router, when clearly it can get a 100% signal from my own one?? even when I select my own router as a default, after about 10 minutes, it will say other networks available and then select this other router... very odd.
My own one is passworded and encrypted with MAC address restrictions also, so I know what I'm doing lol.

Maybe try changing the channel on your wireless to see if that solves the problem.
What site is it your trying to obtain? If its highly offensive maybe your ISP is blocking it, or the router may have surf control turned on.

A4Quattro said:
Maybe try changing the channel on your wireless to see if that solves the problem.
What site is it your trying to obtain? If its highly offensive maybe your ISP is blocking it, or the router may have surf control turned on.

How does one change channels on the wireless? Can't see the function on any of the menus listed on the router.

Site isn't offensive, it's a torrent search site, and definitely not the ISP blocking, as it does work with the router removed from my setup, annoying that I have to disconnect the damn wires just to surf one site lol.

try switching peer guardian off, ( i know you dont want to but just try lol)

then try loading the web pages, PG used to cause me a few problems back in the day

If its the WRT54G then click the wireless tab then click wireless channel and choose another. And while you're at it turn off SSID broadcast, your laptop wont need it anymore after its already connected once, and it stops anyone outside seeing your network.

As for using torrents, switch to usenet its much more anonimous...

rickparmar said:
try switching peer guardian off, ( i know you dont want to but just try lol)

then try loading the web pages, PG used to cause me a few problems back in the day

I hardly ever use it Rick, I know it slows a lot of things down, but this isn't the problem.

A4Quattro said:
If its the WRT54G then click the wireless tab then click wireless channel and choose another. And while you're at it turn off SSID broadcast, your laptop wont need it anymore after its already connected once, and it stops anyone outside seeing your network.

As for using torrents, switch to usenet its much more anonimous...

I'll try it tonight, as I'm at work atm, and everything works here :)

Tried changing channels, but still no joy... and the wife keeps forgetting to plug my router back in after she's surfed the dodgy site the router won't let us on... that's doing my head in!

Stupid question but Are you what browser are you using. I have come across this sort of thing with people using BTyahoo browser rather than I.E or firefox.

Basically a full rebuild was required as a download from BT completely ******** the whole installation. (this was about 6 weeks ago) No roll back or anything worked.

Just a thought.

Max

Just the standard IE as supplied with windows, I have not changed any settings at all, but the problem still persists. I'm just using my neighbours bandwidth at the mo' when going wireless, as it's more stable, maybe I should ask what router they have lol.

Been a while mate, if you need any more help im sure we can get to the bottom of it.

Problem still persists, I have my own router with the correct settings and MAC address filters done as I have always had, but my stupid laptop thinks that my neighbours connection is more secure, despite it being open for all lol. I've tried most things that I could think or capable of in computer terms and can't be ***** with it now, so long as I'm connected to the net!
This post was made with my own connection btw?!