Rounded caliper slider bolt 13mm

lesteague

Reaction score
Ok the 13mm caliper slider bolt on the rear of my A3 8P is well and truly seized and to top it off the bolt is starting to round off.

Tried heating it up, tried various oil's to free it up but it's not budging.

I'm now at the point when I'm thinking of just grinding/cutting the bolt head off and whind out the remaining bolt thread.

any suggestions before I go down this route? It's worth noting there is absolutely no room for an impact driver or the such to try and shock it.

Last edited:
id personally remove the complete caliper,remove the brake pipe etc,take off the whole lot off the car,all the hub,then take it from there

If there is space rather then use a spanner which I assume your using, you need to hit a 6 sided socket on the end of the bolt. If need be stick an extension onto the socket so to clear the brake pipe and hand brake cables etc. if possible use a 1/2 inch ratchet so you can get more leverage.

When undoing make sure A) your going anti-clockwise and B) do it slowly. Rather then trying tondo it quickly as you will be able to feel if the socket is twisting off. Also make sure the socket sits as squarely and flush with the head of the bolt to make sure it has the best chance of gripping