1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roundabouts

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Broken Byzan, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Whats going on with this seeming growing phase of people driving around roundabouts in the left lane. ?????:motz: :motz: :motz:

They go all around the outside happily cutting everyone up when they get to where they want to be !!:nunu: :nunu:

Why do i bother using lanes and indicating, seems i would be better to just drive around the outside !!!:no:
  2. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

I have the opposite going here, usually the driver is an OAP, they simply cut the round about off to go straight ahead without checking if there is someone to the side of them. They've got so old, that they simply just want to take the most easy and direct route, instead of navigate it in the correct lane like decent drivers do.
  3. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I thought it was only me experiancing it,three lanes approaching the roundabout...left hand lane goes left,middle goes straight on and right goes right how friggin difficult is it? and then you get the clowns going straight cutting through your lane and the ones who are calling all lanes and need to pay three times the road tax as they are using all the lanes....damn fools
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I think it's because there are so many traffic light assisted roundabouts these days that people don't know how to use a traditional one anymore. That and the fact that you can't easily change lanes on one with traffic lights (when it's busy). I thought roundabouts were invented to replace traffic light junctions, and now we seem to have the worst of both worlds, fine in rush hour but surely we can be left to our own devices at all other times?
  5. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

A top rant!! The housing estate I live on is accessed via a large roundabout on the ring road of my town. Its only 2 lanes but with 6 exits its a busy roundabout with plenty of bad lane discipline! Many times whilst waiting to pull out from my estate people are indicating as they pass the preceeding junction meaning they are turning into my road, but they sail past actually taking the next junction! Also whilst indicating to turn into my road people think im doing as the above and start to pull out from the preceeding junction nearly ramming you as you slow down!! The other day I was actually stopped in the middle of the roundabout with a car pointing at my passenger door having jumped out thinking I wasnt really going to turn into my road!! Its even worse when im out on the bike though!!
  6. SDO

SDO Member

I don't call the roundabouts any more there now called guessabouts as no one every indicates or now where the hell there going
  7. unkle

unkle Beer God

Hate people that dont indicate when coming off a roundabout, thus leaving me looking like a lemon, and those wang kers that look as if they are turning right but at the last minute change their mind and switch lanes....

Oh and those cretins that sit up your arse on the motorway then when you pull in to let them go by they just sit there, really gets my goat!
  8. Defratos

Defratos You’re Dethpicable!!

Bottom line

Muppets + roundabouts = chaos

Me S3 + roundabouts = Fun :racer:
  9. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Grrrrrrrrrrrr! Roundabouts are a great source of annoyance for me too!

To be fair, I might take an 'optimum line' across one if it's late at night and completely deserted; but otherwise I keep to the lane I'm supposed to be in, and indicate clearly where I intend to go. It winds me up when people use the wrong lane or don't bother to signal their intentions to exit roundabouts - how much can it really cost to make your manouveres clear to everyone else who's trying to negotiate the roundabout?!?

I agree with Andy too - traffic lights on roundabouts seems quite daft to me. It seems to me that they only put lights there because people are making such a hash of using roundabouts as intended!

Regards,

Rob.
  10. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

Yup, roundabouts annoy the feck out of me too.
    My biggest gripe is people who go straight on in the right hand lane.
    Now, although you are allowed to do this, people in the left hand lane have right of way.
    People simply don't realise this, or won't accept it.
    So they automatically try and cut your nose off.
    I admit I often find it difficult to let it slide, and will block them off.
    I've had arguments with drivers about this before, including a copper who accused me of cutting him up...:motz:
  11. Bong Water

Bong Water In two minds

Roundabouts when empty = best things on the road

Roundabouts when busy = Nightmare, some people just werent taught properly, I think the rocket scientists should really help out here as its obviously very complicated
  12. jojo

With 'A' levels available working at MaccyD's these days, maybe they should inroduce a degree course for navigating roundabouts!
  13. Broken Byzan

I think a retest should be something that police can enforce IMHO
    Sod on the spot fines, send them for a re test
  14. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The right of way to go where exactly? All the way round the roundabout? This is happening more & more often, twats going all the way round 2 lane roundabouts in the lefthand lane because they can't be arsed to change lanes when their exit comes up.
  15. Broken Byzan

I think Bowfer meant when going straight over the roundabout
  16. Les 51

Les 51 A pint of Diesel please!

I have a different problem on R/abouts, I am one of the few to turn right at the one just off my dual carriageway just past my house ( I go the back roads to work) and some of the dipsh1ts who are going straight on think I'm jumping the queue and sit in the middle of the dual carriageway so I can't get past!!:wtf: Winding the window down and giving them some verbal doesn't help, but makes me feel much better ! :motz:
  17. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

Well folks.....It seems to me that these days the general standard of driving by a huge number of people is totally abismal....

Not saying I am a perfect driver, but it does my head in when I see people overtaking on the wrong side of traffic islands, poor roundabout sense, no indicating, badly adjusted headlights, or one headlight with 2 fog lights on, or sidelights on + fog lights....being cut up....or stuck behind some idiot doing 30 mph in a 50mph limit on my way to work.........sheessssh !

I see people chatting whilst driving on their mobile phones every day - bad I know...but to ban their use is a completely unenforceable law....

Seems to me that there is now a total reliance on speed cameras in Lancashire......huge number in Blackpool....

.....and never a police car to be seen.....

We do occasionally have the police block the road here in Chorley/Preston to check tax disks......so I suppose thats all right then....

Oh yeah...those bl**dy morons cruisng up and down the motorways in their 4 wheel drive cars....."closing the M6" at the drop of a hat.....so a 2.5 hour journey then takes 6 hours......great innit !

Hmmm, good to get that lot off my chest !
  18. dipstic

dipstic Member

Feeding onto the M3 today got confused by the old couple indicating left and then moving into the feeder lane, surely they could see it was getting narrower but it was okay they just carried on up the hard shoulder for two miles untill they came to the next exit and got off the motorway

mmmm :no:
  19. jojo

At least they were not in your way. :)