Rough Start in Cold Weather

mnetska

Reaction score
I'm new to this group, but I appreciate any help and advice you can provide.

I just bought a 99 A6 2.8 Quattro. I'm very happy with the car overall, but when the car is cold it takes a really long time to turn over. The battery and starter are both very strong, so I'm not sure where to look next. Somebody mentioned to me that it could be a heat sensor? If this was the case would'nt I get a check engine light?

Not sure where to look next. Thanks in advance for your help.

if a temp sensor is still sending information then the check light is unlikely to come on, that is more likely if the sensor has failed completely. it may be that the temp sensor is sending the incorrect info rather than no info, hence the roughness when cold. of course there could be another source for the problem. are there any other symptoms?

First of all, thanks for your response to my post.

Secondly, there are really no other symptoms. Once the car is warm (running for 20 minutes or more) its starts right up. When the car sits for longer than an hour (or overnight) it takes a really long time to turn over.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but I feel like if I give it a little gas while turning the key, it turns over a little quicker, but still not perfect.

Any other ideas?